Why you are not welcome in the cradle

Cradleresident

I'm with JB on this one, and this is why I also ride solo. I'd rather take my chances with muggers than be caught up in this pack mentality.

The quotation "Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups" is very appropriate here.

I'm sure you noted CR's opening post where he said that this video was filmed from inside a car. These riders behaved this way with a motorist behind them? Some scenes show wide riding where I would also go out a bit further, even as a solo rider. There's a section of that downhill towards Nedbank Training Centre where the yellow line area is brutally uneven. However, the rider (yellow visibility jacket) in that scene is showing total disregard for the vehicles around him. BTW - I've noticed that the strip alongside the road where the works are taking place is mostly ride-able - there's no real need to spread out as these riders do.

I sincerely hope that the individual photos have also been mailed to

the clubs - I wonder if they'll have the courage to name and shame them.

Edit - Andrew just covered this.

It's membership renewal time, but I'm seriously reconsidering rejoining. I don't enjoy riding in bunches (I like the "Zen" thing of riding quietly and fast as I canBig%20smile). I don't need the support vehicle - if I need to I can call up help (although my wife dreads my calls because they usually mean the rescue of an injured bird or abandoned kittens found along the road).

Lotus2009-11-07 05:38:43

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I do not condone cyclists taking up all of the road or transgressing any traffic rules, a few points needs to be made.

I have been cycling this route for over 10 years now, always in groups of 4 or less. The only time that the cradle has this many cyclists are on Saturday and Sunday mornings from 7 to 11, mainly for the months leading up the 94.7 and Argus cycle races. Surely local motorists could bare the inconvenience for these limited times, especially considering the fact that all cyclists have the right to use these roads, governed by essentially the same laws as other motor vehicles. Bare in mind that these cyclists are not guests that require your welcome - they have just as much a right to use these roads as any motor vehicles.

Cycling groups (clubs included) should limit their numbers to 5 to 10 riders - more than this and you really don't stand a chance. With fewer riders in each group, passing (as mentioned by Andrew) also becomes easier and doesn't require a few hundred metres of chaos. Sitting in a big bunch is more sociable, but then rather go to spinning with your friends or have coffee after the ride. The road is a place for transport, not a tea party. Imagine if you had a convoy of 10 60 seater busses that just had to drive right behind each other because it was more sociable? They don't, they space out so other cars can get past if necessary.  

Save the big bunches for organised events or otherwise do it out of public space. We have a right to use the roads, not control them. I am sure club rides are great fun, but unfortunately I don't believe the public road is the place for fun.

I think AM's comments are very admirable, there seems to be a witchhunt against Cyclelab however. I noticed it at the pre Argus ride this year from the waterfront. we took a lot of abuse from other clubs on the road, not sure why this is? I feel Cyclelab are doing a fantastic job in growing cycling and that the problem is not with the CLUB'S but rather with the lack of morals and ethics in society in general. I was witness to Andrew's lecture regarding safety and consideration at the pre Argus ride. Me,myself and I mentality is a common attitude nowadays. Seems that once certain individuals get on a bicycle, they feel invincible and care less about other road users.

I say that those people must continue to behave the way they do, the cars they meet will slowly "weed" them out of society and we can rather discuss more interesting, positive topics in the future!! 

Our club had about a HUGE turn out for the club ride this morning' date=' always a huge turn out because of 94.7.
We made announcements using a loud speaker system all about rules of the road, we have certain roads we ride 2 abreast others single file,
We limit our bunch sizes. Today we had; A, B, C1 C2 C3 C4 D1 D2 D3 D4, Transition and Beginners.
I marshalled the C1 group about 20 riders and they were perfect.
However I have no doubt that if you followed us for the 80km?s you would have got a few photos that would not have been perfect.
We caught 2 or 3 Club 100 groups of about 30 to 40 riders and had to pass them, at this point what do you do? And yes as we passed for a few hundred meters it was messy.[Very messy']
We have been using this route for years, with few issues.
Now club 100 comes on our exact route and we simply have too many cyclists in this area. We did appeal to them to use an alternative route.

Make no mistake we cyclists are our own worst enemies and we all need to do a lot to change this;
Our club sends SMS?s about safety
Almost Every news letter deals with it.
We make announcements at the start of every club ride.
We pay Think Bike marshals to be on every club ride to help make our club rides safer.
Individuals however need to take responsibility for their own actions!!!

I can tell you we will certainly study these pictures and contact these members to voice our disgust at their behaviour.
We are looking at a Name and shame section in our club news letter.
We are appealing to members to help our marshals police these individuals who think they are above the law.
However there are always individuals that ride like idiots and give the rest a bad name.

The only good news is one more week and the numbers will be half what they are now.
Worth mentioning there is very little traffic in this area at this time of the morning. Not that this is an excuse for some of the pictures CR put up.

I however do feel that if any person really goes out of their way to find fault with any group of cyclists, motorists, or any other group you will always
Find some fault to highlight.
We all, residents and cyclists need work together to live in harmony in the cradle. I was amazed to see how many cyclists drive out to the cradle park at local restaurants and ride, surely this is great for the local economy.

Lets try ALL make the Cradle a cycling friendly zone!

OK so what is the ultimate solution:
Let?s have a look at what other parts of the world are doing that are 10 years ahead of us;
Here is a link to Vehicular Cycling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_cycling#Vehicular_cycling_best_practices.2C_techniques_and_skills

Here is a very interesting link to California Legislation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CVC_21202#CVC_21202 a very practical set of laws governing cycling behaviour.

Look at sections on lane sharing, shoulders etc.

By the way I have had a meeting with CR and I understand his frustrations, and we as a club are doing everything in our power to deal with this unacceptable situation that a small minority are causing.
Andrew McLean.

Thanks AM

I need to stress that i have had a meeting with AM and 2 other cyclists who i believe are committed to solving these issues and I understand there frustrations and they understand mine.We had a good and productive meeting, but then again it was only AM who was interested in sorting the problem out and no other club.

See it from my point. This is not a once a month thing. This is an every weekend thing - Saturday and Sunday, and we are not even talking about the races.

I would say the majority of the cyclists are not a problem, but drive down the road and come accross 2 or 3 groups who are arrogant and that messes up your whole day. After a while you dread going out, because you know you are going to have a problem.

I am not the only one complaining, a lot of residents know what is going on, and are watching to see how far i get, so this needs to be sorted out.

Also, cyclists are not the only problem. Motor cycles doing 200km per hr is also a problem. I see it from all sides, as i ride a mountain bike and I ride a motorbike, but it all comes down to respect for the community,respect for fellow road users. Riding at 200km per hr and riding in the middle of the road is not showing resepect.  You get what you give.

I and the residents are open and want to sort the problem out, but there is no recourse if cyclists do not play the game.

If i hit a cyclist irrespective of whose fault it is, i have a big problem. So just by driving to the local spa, i am opening myself up to an incident.

Who wants to live like this???

You know, we mortal humans are the strangest specie on God's planet. Let me explain:

1. You are out on your bike cycling with the club. A motorist behind you is not happy with the way you "hog" the road and he honks his horn. You through signs/shout/kick and scream back at this motorist.

2. You are out driving your car. You come up behind a cycling club who is HOGGING the damn road. You honk your horn as you pass while swearing at them. They swear back!

It all depends on where you sit!

Dear Cradleresident. I was riding in the area with 3 mates this morning. I saw numerous incidents like the examples you posted. I agree and it is shocking and this is exactly the reason why we do not do Club rides anymore. There is no regard for safety and the attitudes when you confront these idiots are beyond words. We have a simple rule: when there is a yellow line with enough space - two abreast, no shoulder - single file! As an experienced rider I can vouch that there is no reason to ride like these guys.

Just further evidence that no-one in this country has respect for the law. It starts with the president and chief of police and works its way down through dodgy government tenders through to the financial scams ripping off pensioners and orphans and ends with the liquidators and lawyers.

I'm in Polokwane at the moment, where the Range Rovers are plentiful, double parking here outside the Garden Court, where the newly enriched owners meet for drinks and other shady transactions. Land Rover sells more Range Rovers in Polokwane than anywhere else in the country. The reason? A Range Rover secures you a government tender. Can I prove it? No. Am I sure I'm right? Absolutely

Sorry for the off topic rant, but the lawlessness makes me rant, rave and foam at the mouth.

CR, I don't ride that area often, but know that the roads in that area do not carry high volumes of motorised traffic. And it is this fact that makes these cyclists idiots so complacent.

What bothers me the most is the blind rises and bends that you mentioned. If some of those tjops have their ipods/ iphones shoved so deep into their ears with the music at full volume they will never know about the traffic approaching from behind and a motorist will have very little time to react after coming over the rise.

That whole area is just a huge accident waiting to happen. I have sympathy with you and all residents in the area.

After next weekend all those idiots will disappear like mist before the sun for the next 10 months!!Clap

Just further evidence that no-one in this country has respect for the law. It starts with the president and chief of police and works its way down through dodgy government tenders through to the financial scams ripping off pensioners and orphans and ends with the liquidators and lawyers.

I'm in Polokwane at the moment' date=' where the Range Rovers are plentiful, double parking here outside the Garden Court, where the newly enriched owners meet for drinks and other shady transactions. Land Rover sells more Range Rovers in Polokwane than anywhere else in the country. The reason? A Range Rover secures you a government tender. Can I prove it? No. Am I sure I'm right? Absolutely

Sorry for the off topic rant, but the lawlessness makes me rant, rave and foam at the mouth. [/quote']Jules, you are exactly right!!

Check this out as another example.

http://www.news24.com/Content/MyNews24/Letters/1050/39086985fddd4a968280532138a80b3b/02-11-2009-03-02/The_idiot_lane#comments

Just further evidence that no-one in this country has respect for the law...

Agree with the rest of the rant, but just a note worth mentioning is that it is against the law to ride in the yellow line, and it is within the law for cyclists to cycle two abreast (although motor vehicles are required to change lanes to overtake), and within the law to cycle anywhere in the left lane.  I'm not saying it would be wise, just that it would be lawful.

Just further evidence that no-one in this country has respect for the law...

Agree with the rest of the rant' date=' but just a note worth mentioning is that it is against the law to ride in the yellow line, and it is within the law for cyclists to cycle two abreast (although motor vehicles are required to change lanes to overtake), and within the law to cycle anywhere in the left lane.  I'm not saying it would be wise, just that it would be lawful.
[/quote']

I dont know what law you know, but that is not SA law. I downloaded the law awile ago and i can gaurentee you the law says you have to ride single file. It also says if there is a cycle lane you are not allowed to ride in the road. Google it.

This is exactly why I do not partake in club rides.I feel for you CR.There is no excuse for this type of idiotic behaviour by club cyclists.This is blatant disrespect to ALL road users.I have always been a firm believer that all road users need to be Identified by means of a unique ID.Cars and bikes have numberplates.Cyclists shoud have some sort of unique identification number so that if they trangress the road rules they can be identified and brought to book.If cyclists knew that they could be identified I think their attitudes and responsibilities would change.

patrickw2009-11-07 12:13:54

Maybe we should just get one thing straight here , THIS IS NOT ALWAYS CLUB RIDERS !!!As somebody already mentioned , where there are more than one together this type of behaviour can mostly be seen .