Which Tires for XC

Rapunzel

... so I'm waiting for my new wheelset to arrive from CRC but the maxxis crossmark LUST have been out of stock for a few weeks. I'm considering other tires, including Specialized Fast track LK 2bliss. I know that crossmarks are the tried and tested option, but they're also heavy.

What are other people using for xc and has anybody tried the specialized fast track? (needed for mostly dry and technical riding conditions and I'm a light-weight rider).

I have just fitted Racing Ralph back and Nobby Nic front. I read a lot of reviews and finally decided on this combination. When it gets muddy, go for Nobby Nic on back as well. Please remember, I am no authority on Mtbking, just my 2c worth. 20091122_032227_IMAG0253.jpg smiley1.gif

... so I'm waiting for my new wheelset to arrive from CRC but the maxxis crossmark LUST have been out of stock for a few weeks. I'm considering other tires' date=' including Specialized Fast track LK 2bliss. I know that crossmarks are the tried and tested option, but they're also heavy.

What are other people using for xc and has anybody tried the specialized fast track? (needed for mostly dry and technical riding conditions and I'm a light-weight rider).[/quote']

Personally not impressed with the Crossmarks and I'm sure there are much better tyres out there. Even though summer is upon us your still bound to hit a wet patch somewhere or even just tree roots and thats where they fail.

First have to wear down my current set before wife lets me buy a new one, so I'm also going to be following this thread. (Think I'll just put them back on for commuting LOL )

Interesting topic and you could spend days deciding on combos and and and. But I think the solution is to have more than one set.

My Monorails are the berries when it's dry. Rocky, hard, sandy, whatever, they are lekke. BUT put some water on any of the above and BAM!!! No good; slip, cake, slow!

okay, so get some wet/mud tyres as a second set.?. (Schwalbe Black Shark Mud or Geax Barro Extreme Mud XC/Trail Tyre)

Here is where I'm stumped. Even at the Nissan event yesterday, mud tyres would have only been good in the mud, but there were a LOT of hard fast sections where my Monorails came into there own again and where the wet/mud tyres would have been useless.

So what to do?

I basically gave up on this internal debate and settled on having a single Schwalbe Albert Sport I'll put on the front when things get wet... the other option is to have a set of Panaracer Rampages for when it gets... NOOOOoooo it's starts again!!!!

If you do not do mud, pick any of the following:

Crossmark as a back tire

Monorail as a front or back

Conti Race King as a back tire (expensive)

Specialized Fact track LK control at the back with Captain at the front.

Specialized Sauserwind

Intense System 2. A very underrated tire. Not as bling as Race king.

Schwalbe Ralph(expensive)

Kenda smallblock 8

interesting - I just survived the cpt winter on a set of crossmarks but clearly they're not the perfect solution. I just got my new bike last week and it came with Kenda smallblock's but they're not ust and I believe they're quite heavy.

Anybody had problems with air leakage on any ust tires?

According to Christoph Sauser, we all know him, the Spec Fast Track LK is the best for what he considers "average riders." Since these tyres are tested under South African conditions, I'll rely on them for the time being.

Specs Renegade if your pockets can go a bit deeper

Best results on Racing Ralphs in SA, not the cheapest options & beware of cuts!

Used Maxxis Crossmark for a year - so, so

For the summer season here I changed to Racing Ralphs on the front and Furious Fred at the back. Very fast indeed on flats, uphill and sand. Watch-out for loose gravel uphills and on downhills (all terrain) the back end develops a mind of its own.

Would be a good set-up for some predominantly gravel races in SA, but generally limited due to dislike of rocks.

Btw: bought both tyres in SA, both non UST. Asked for tyres taken from new bikes - manage to get both for less than 130 ZAR each at CycleLab nogal

I got the Phython Lights, pitty its so soft and dont last a lot of km's. so, its not for training.

I got crossmarks on my training rims, solid, hard, heavy and punture resistant, specially commuting in and out to work.

They are now toast, and like slicks, what is the cheapes UST tires to use for commuting.? Dont care about weight, etc, it must give plenty of commuting miles.

Dry hardpack XC - Maxxis Larsen TT or Schwalbe Racing Ralph

Wet and dry - Conti Mountain Kings

have tried crossmarks, dont like them,, they washout and dont work as soon as it is damp. Larsen was better. In racing I have found Larsen works well in most wet conditions EXCEPT KZN, mud there is different and hectic - conti mountain kings are better for KZN wet conditions.

Racing Ralph and Nobby Nic combo also works well

Mountain kings work very well for most conditions wet and dry, really impressed with them after Sani2C, BUT the do wear down a lot faster than Maxxis.

currently trying out the Larsen TT ® and Ignitor (F) combo on my single speed. not too bad so far.