This has to STOP!!!!

Cruxpearl

My recommendations would include:

a. Appoint more Moderators and assign moderators specific forums to look after in their field of expertise ie Racing' date=' Technical, Training etc. (Maybe through a voting procedure). This then takes the pressure off the few Moderators that are currently doing a sterling job.

b. Allow the Moderators the right to "ban" Hubbers from posting in certain forums for e.g. if xyz continues to post meaningless topics under the Racing Forum, ban him/her, but still allow them to post under chit-chat. (don't know if the software allows that)

c. Clear up the database of existing members. What percentage of the

currently registered +- 2500 members are active ? If a member hasn't

posted in 6 months, delete the profile.

d. Then confirm existing members email addresses but do not allow emails address such as hotmail, msn, gmail etc.

e. Finally, before a new hubber is allowed to post, he/she has to confirm their registration details by return email, again not using hotmail, msn etc.

[/quote']

a. Yes please!!!  Maybe 2 mods to a forum, just in case one mod is not on for some time.

b. Yes and no, first "skors" (the eenglish word escapes me) the user for 7 days, then 1 month and the ban.

c.  This would be VERY nice.  But first send a confirmation message to warn the user.

d. Don't agree.  I use my gmail as I have access to it all over.  To use my work mail addy is not on.  What if the DB is hacked?  I don't mind spam in my gmail box, but it's a big NO-NO in my work mail box.

e. Yes, but do a full run and let ALL current users confirm their details.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The nature of forums allows individuals to hide behind pseudonyms and post whatever garbage he or she feels like espousing. Unfortunately it's not a phenomena unique to The Hub.

My recommendations would include:

a. Appoint more Moderators and assign moderators specific forums to look after in their field of expertise ie Racing' date=' Technical, Training etc. (Maybe through a voting procedure). This then takes the pressure off the few Moderators that are currently doing a sterling job.

b. Allow the Moderators the right to "ban" Hubbers from posting in certain forums for e.g. if xyz continues to post meaningless topics under the Racing Forum, ban him/her, but still allow them to post under chit-chat. (don't know if the software allows that)

c. Clear up the database of existing members. What percentage of the currently registered +- 2500 members are active ? If a member hasn't posted in 6 months, delete the profile.

d. Then confirm existing members email addresses but do not allow emails address such as hotmail, msn, gmail etc.

e. Finally, before a new hubber is allowed to post, he/she has to confirm their registration details by return email, again not using hotmail, msn etc.

My R 0.02c

[/quote']

Thug, that's worth a bit more than 2c! Excellent suggestions

a - Yes, at least another four.

b - Yes, more than 5 reports (fair reports), you're out

c- Maybe a reminder email with a weeks grace

d- Just remember, some people only have access to those.

e- As per my previous suggestion, in addition to this, a prospective hubber should be invited and recommended.

MWNN, can the "masked Turtles" be mods???Wink

OKOK net n grappie, yip I agree with THUG and MWNN......

Psycho, had a lekker chat with Crux last night. As fatty said, they cant possibly watch over 2500 members and +- 90 logins at any time. Thats almost a full time job. Mind you, some individuals on the HUB almost need a baby sitter of their own. 

I feel strongly about the banning principle. Mud is right, this is enforced much stricter on other forums. There's an article on News24 this morning about Patricia de Lille proposing that Mxit and blogging (where the HUB, IMO, also fits in) should be regulated. The last thing we want is the HUB to be named and shamed when a shortlist of websites is produced.

Now if we can just see some action......

e- As per my previous suggestion, in addition to this, a prospective hubber should be invited and recommended.

Strongly disagree, this is a public forum, not a selective one

Agreed MWNN, I for one am very glad that I'm not a mod, I can keep tabs of only a few topics on the hub, now as you say how do you controll all of them if there's only 2or3 mods.... Sounds like Highlander (there can only be one)LOL

Yes agree with the banning, Mud is right, he's just sour though because they banned him for posting "pawn shop pics"Wink

I think this is very good rulling to be applied to the hub..... and yes we don't want to see the hub disgrased for mudslinging (no pun intended MudDee) I know muddee was blocked from a site where somehow he's IP was the same as another user's and therefore he was thrown off, if this can be implemented asswell it will also sort out the double alais thing...

The invitations are going to be very difficult MWNN.  And it's going to stop new members from joining the Hub, which is not a good idea.

Hmmm, Yes, I am with Scotty here, we do not live in a "nanny state" - I dont believe its necessary for admin to get involved and set up a huge ruling process with draconian steps and consequences.

Basically, it seems to me, some folk want Admin to fight their position for them, however if you believe in your post, its not inflammatory or slanderous or insulting, and you can justify it with facts, why would you want admin ruling on it ??

If a post offends you, Pm the poster and ask for an explanation.But remember, what offends you may not offend me and vice versa.

All told, lets leave the mud slinging to those "standing in the mud" - I trust thats not us -, lets treat each other with respect and civility, lets keep it light hearted and friendly, lets discuss controversial points but keep our posts focussed on the "point not the person" lets forget the personal attacks and refrain from vulgar language, insults, slander, malicious posts to elict a controversial response, defamation and aggression.

Religion and sexual topics are personal and can be very inflammatory, lets rather refrain from posting them, lets query, lets comment, lets discuss but lets keep it mutually friendly beneficial.

I think if we all just follow our basic sense of civility, everything will be fine. 

widget2007-05-30 02:38:13

Widget, you've summed it up.Clap

Think we can use yours as a Mission Statement/Memo/Constitution for this site.

The basic premise is that we are all (more or less) adults and of (more or less) sound mind and judgement.

It just seems we sometimes get carried away and take a situation too far, (friday eye candy springs to mind)

I believe the mods need to take a more active role without turning into a nanny.

Perhaps more mods need to appointed to ease the load

Scotty, Shaunh and Widget spring to mind
wolverine2007-05-30 02:44:12

The invitations are going to be very difficult MWNN.  And it's going to stop new members from joining the Hub' date=' which is not a good idea. [/quote']

I take your (and scotty's) point ewep. The whole idea behind this is to stop the increase in double logins and user names. I am not sure the IP addresses alone will solve this.

Hmmm' date=' Yes, I am with Scotty here, we do not live in a "nanny state" ................................-

[/quote'] Oh sadly.........YES we do!!!!!!!!

Some people only access the Hub from their worksplace. In same cases the same Pc and Ips and e-mail addresses are shared. Because of this it is very difficult to control users and "double aliasses".

The other thing complicated matters are firewalls, security, etc.

Have once tried to trace an e-mail source to a big corporate and you do net get past the ip of the firewall.

I think people sometime use a second alias to write on certain things due to position they have.

Can you image latrinus make a controversial statement about Cycling SA to get a message across. They will hang him.

With a second alias he can safely do so without being taken to task by Cycling South Africa.

bmw, don't agree!!!  If you can't say it as yourself, then SHURRUP!  Use your nick and that's it.  If you want to stir, use your own nick.