This has to STOP!!!!

Cruxpearl

Guest Big H

Yes Michelle that is correct, but many messageboards have a function where they send yo an email to validate and start your new account. ADMIN can use this function and also flag the function to allow only one messageboard name. I strongly feel that all Hubbers should only have one Hub name.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently there is no clear definable law in South Africa prohibiting anyone from saying anything on an internet forum or blog site and this falls under the constitutional law of freedom of expression.

There are no laws such as those in use in the USA against hacking in South Africa and here it is perfectly legal.

In short there is no such thing as computer crime in South Africa unless you are physically removing the PC box from the building without the express permission of the owner. This would then be treated seperately as theft for obvious reasons.

Currently it is more up to the individual to asses his or her morals and to behave accordingly. A perfect example of a site having to close down due to the incesant racist remarks posted is the Supercricket site on the Supersport Zone.

You can pretty much call somebody anything you please on the internet in South Africa and there is no recourse that can be taken against you or the website owner.

This may however change in the future but it is more a constitutional matter of Freedom of Expression and weather or not Freedom of Expression is absolute or not.

I have the same thing on my forum site and I find that simply just deleting the user offending the rules of the board works pretty well. They come back but you get to knw who they are real quick.

Hope this helps you Mods and Admins.

I can't even remember - it has been a while - let me go and check...

Yip - you are right - then perhaps better moderation is called for.  With a valid email address, it should be quite easy to quitely and politely point out innappropriate behaviour.

And Big H - I have to disagree - if I wanted to read stuff about rugby, I would go to a rugby site. I hate having to sift through pages of topics to find the one or two that interest me.

And who said anything about democracy. This is Admin's site - he can run it any way he pleases.

I agree with most of what BigH has stated above but there are times when the non cycling items take over the whole of the Hub (like around the Super 14 final for instance). I would suggest that the Chit Chat forum should not be listed under latest posts and that any non cycling thread must go into Chit Chat.

I agree with the idea of an email verification although it is pretty easy to get an email address so it doesn't provide much extra benefit.

IanJ, what if you could tie the email idea to a referral system, where someone has to be referred by an existing hubber. Upon application, the mods can check whether the applicant has the same IP address than the sponsor, which should solve that problem.

Mods & Admin: This is not a popularity contest. Make the rules (within reason & legal constraints), publish those and enforce it. End of story.

If someone violates these rules through a post, the post gets reported and admin/mods issue a warning. Third warning & you're banned. No why's or explaining by the mods. Just enforcing of the rules.

Otherwise, I think its a great site - thanks for the effort to keep it going!

My suggestion: If you're suspected of double-id (other hubbers report this to mods/admin), mods/admin request that you verify your new ID. Failing to do this within a reasonable timeframe results in banning. Set it out in the rules when signing up. You don't like it, don't register on The Hub.

Guest Big H

Ian J, I agree the CHIT CHAT Forum should become a standalone forum totally dedicated to chit chat. Those who do not know this is what Chit Chat means in Afrikaans and ienglieshe.

gebab?bel, babble, prattle, gossip, chatter, prate, rattle, chat; cackle; confabulation, gabble, jabber, patter, chit-chat; clack.

gepraat?, talking, talk, tattle, chit-chat, prate.

wywepraatjie ~praatjie, (-s), chit-chat, gossip; old wives' tale.

chit?-chat, gebabbel, gepraat, gesels(ery).

I posted this before and that exactly describes what chit chat is about. Moderators should have the authority to move misposted topics here. Velouria you then wont have to sift through the mindless babble of people less superior than thou!!!!!!!

Big H2007-05-29 10:55:55

IanJ' date=' what if you could tie the email idea to a referral system, where someone has to be referred by an existing hubber. Upon application, the mods can check whether the applicant has the same IP address than the sponsor, which should solve that problem. [/quote']

Could work but if I think back to when I joined the Hub I don't think I knew anyone else. Would especially be a problem for overseas people etc.

Agree IanJ.

With this idea, Why not rather limit a new hubber to a certain amount of posts per day as well. And as the posts increas slowly the hubber is allowed to post more and more per day. Instead of new guys coming on and taking over.

Hmm, interesting idea, Witrot. What about someone who joins, has sore knees (hypo), post a question and gets replies to which he needs to reply to get correct advice? He'll blow his x-post-quota in no time.

There's a natural tendancy for newbies to keep to themselves and check things out. Make comments where they can, or ask questions about buying/selling/fixing cycling-related stuff. Others (like myself) like to get involved and feel it out that way. Either should be endorsed if you want to avoid creating a specific culture on a public forum.

My quess is that if you create a culture of respect (and remember the mods/admin can enforce this by warning posters with posts out of line), ID/ban double-identity-dudes you'll probably stop the newbies from taking over.

Ja true. I see your point. What i had in mind was not to limit the person to 1 post to start of. Lets say maybe 3 to 5 or whatever a good number to start with. Why i thought this idea is then maybe a new person can give good posts that is usefull and has info and it makes you think a bit more than just to start by posting rubbish. Thats my 20 sents.

Admin, you asked for comments & suggestions

a) This is a cycling forum - let's keep it to cycling. If you want to discuss other stuff then open your own blog elsewhere or visit forums where your particular interest is addressed. Mods & Admins should simply remove threads/postings that digress too far. If you want freedom of speech then open your own site somewhere else - simple.

b) Mods need to be more objective, unfortunately some threads which were clearly destructive/negative of nature have been allowed to proceed - apparently because certain long standing members insisted/objected.

c) Make the sign up more onerous i.e. valid e-mail & verification. Blacklist  abusers after how ever many warning you want to issue. That should stop attacks from "passers by".

I for one, lost interest after the attempted Kremetart event assassination.

I'm not someone who posts a lot or has a lot to say but I do read the forums and do in general enjoy the Hub. It would be a pitty if the Hub were to disapear because certain individuals do not know what to say and how to say it. And why should it become a drag to join the Hub as a new member and why should the administrative load be increased to try and curb the influence of non considerate and anti social individuals.

I say that Admin and who ever else is running the site and own the site should just make their rules and enforce them.

If these people were passionate enough about cycling to start this great forum then their rules will not be to its detrament (Mind my spelling!!!) of the site.

I say warn the guys and if they don't want to listen just delete their profiles.