greeting etiquette

geoffro

How does one greet a cyclist that you are overtaking. I greeted a roadie going up Tiekiesdraai today. I passed him on the gravel and waved' date=' he swore at me Big%20smile [/quote']

What the heck is he doing in the gravel?

Did you you push him there?

LOL!! hahahaLOLLOLLOLLOL

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming from up North, I'm used to greeting all cyclists and runners, and got replies about 9 out of 10 times.

Down here in the Cape (Strand area), they tend to ignore you, even looking away when it look like you might want to greet.

At least the Mtbiker I overtook on the coastal road towards Rooi  Els and who then sat on my tail the whole time (I was not going hard, trying to keep my HR at about 70%) thanked me for the tow when he turned off at Rooi Els. Wink 

I think it is good manners to greet fellow cyclists, BUT sometimes it is impossible, for example, during racing season, when I do intervals and get out of the saddle, the riders passing me will greet, but the thing is: although I'm looking up and seeing them, I can't wave at them!!! Because I must keep my power up.. Must I now sit down and greet them and then go on powering..? NO! I don't think so.... I mean, during a league race, when somebody is attacking the bunch, do you think he is first going to greet someone passing??? No, and that's the same as doing speed work during a training ride.... 

The same on a climb..like helshoogte, where I do a lot of intervals... I'm sorry, but if I'm doing 185bpm, I'm NOT waving... I really think that cycling is not just about playing around and chilling and waving all the time. Some days I'm preoccucpied and there is NO law that forces me to greet at such occasions! That's just MY personal opinion....

But, yes, if one is just cruising along at a normal pace, it costs you nothing to greet. The choice is yours.

I think it is good manners to greet fellow cyclists' date=' BUT sometimes it is impossible, for example, during racing season, when I do intervals and get out of the saddle, the riders passing me will greet, but the thing is: although I'm looking up and seeing them, I can't wave at them!!! Because I must keep my power up.. Must I now sit down and greet them and then go on powering..? NO! I don't think so.... I mean, during a league race, when somebody is attacking the bunch, do you think he is first going to greet someone passing??? No, and that's the same as doing speed work during a training ride....?

The same on a climb..like helshoogte, where I do a lot of intervals... I'm sorry, but if I'm doing 185bpm, I'm NOT waving... I really think that cycling is not just about playing around and chilling and waving all the time. Some days I'm preoccucpied and there is NO law that forces me to greet?at such occasions! That's just MY personal opinion....

But, yes, if one is just cruising along at a normal pace, it costs you nothing to greet. The choice is yours.
[/quote']

A simple nod will suffice. smiley2.gif

I throw things' date=' always get a reaction.[/quote']littering? Shocked
must be a roady... Confused
oi, probably there are other offences done too!

No not littering, I wait til I have a bundle of gel wrappers (any brand) and bind them together like a ball before throwing it. That way it's considered recycling!

Anyone who knows me, knows I don't delve into the skinny tire side of things.

You say offences, I say revolution.

smiley4.gif smiley4.gif smiley4.gif

This thread reminds me(also a mtb'er) about the Lost City road race. I went hard and started to suffer on the last 5kms, needless to say I lost my bunch. Luckly a young man doing the shorter 70km race(obviously also a mtb'er doing the short road race for fun) came past looking very strong still, so I sat on his wheel for that last 4k's.

As we crossed the finish line I shouted:"Hey, thanks for dragging me across the line man!" But the poor dude had a very confused face on him and just said: " Yis, I am sorry hoor!"LOL

I tried to explain but he was gone!

Coming from up North' date=' I'm used to greeting all cyclists and runners, and got replies about 9 out of 10 times.

Down here in the Cape (Strand area), they tend to ignore you, even looking away when it look like you might want to greet.

At least the Mtbiker I overtook on the coastal road towards Rooi  Els and who then sat on my tail the whole time (I was not going hard, trying to keep my HR at about 70%) thanked me for the tow when he turned off at Rooi Els. Wink 
[/quote']

I laughed at this one LOL

I've only cycled in the Strand once there this year (I do mostly Somerset West) and ja, the Strand guys are the rudest.

Must say that one of my favourite commute stretches (its actually a 7km detour) is a lovely flat stretch where you will find lots of runners, joggers, pram, roadies, mtbs, dog walkers ... just everybody.

Everyone greets - I do tend to find that if someone does not greet you thats because he is new and not use to it. Give him/her a few more days and they end up being the first to greet.

For me, there is nothing nicer than a few friendly hellos and smiles. It really helps when your unwinding from a hectic day.

Young man' date=' pay them no attention!

I haven't read the full thread.

Most of these guys are so "good" they can walk on water and thus it is below them to greet a peasant like you.

If you don't wear the right color socks, ride the right brand bike, wear undies under your Lycra, haven't got the latest helmet...., and oh, shave your legs, your'e not in the league.

Just go out there and enjoy your riding, it is such a privilege to do so!   smiley1.gif [/quote']

ClapClap

nail on the head. Enjoying the freedom of cycling is indeed a privilege.

it really shouldn't matter what you ride wear or where you come from, it should matter that you ride.

Sadly, there are a great many cyclist who sulley this ideal with their own selfish need for image and ego.

These are sad folk indeed.

Greet, but never expect a return greeting.

Clap

Slowbee I dont great people in cars no, or when I walk on the pavement because we don't have a SPORT in common that we are enjoying. Aanhouer, I hear you and agree.But remember guys I am not expecting people to greet me first but simply just greet back at least if I have greeted you.Anyway from the responses I at least see that most agree that a little nod or wave goes a long way.

I greet, sometimes not, but if greeted I always return. When I greet first, I wave with the back of the hand, so when the return doesn't come, showing them the middle finger is quicker. And remember, the little snotnoses who are already winning the Tour De France because they're too good , just smack them. They should be greeting you.

I greet everyone - either with a "Hello", a wave or a lift of my fingers off

the handlbars depending on what is possible ta that point in time

(safety first).

Most people greet back, but I find a lot of newbies are either not

expecting a greeting or don't know what to do.

As for the seasoned cyclists who ignore greetings, I reckon just

'cos they're sour farts, it doesn't mean I need to become one...

I'm a serial greeter. I greet the local pedestrians with a "lishile" (g'morning), and I greet the local cyclists (I'm usually overtaking), I wave at the sugar cane truck drivers in the cane fields, and I wave at the taxi drivers as they go past on the other side of the road, and they mostly wave back. I greet the drivers mostly in the name of self-preservation. This works, because most of the local taxi drivers now know me and they overtake me on the other side of the road. The locals get a kick out of it, especially the kids. And when I'm training in SA I greet other cylists with a wave or a nod or say howzit. I see it as part of the fun of the ride, and it works for me.

I try and greet everyone, used to live in the Cape and find Pretoria cyclists generally more friendly

I agree with the greeters. It is so easy to do.

As a MTBer, I was under the impression that when you bought a road bike you attended a special clinic run by an association called "Roadies Forever"which covered topics such as " Your cycling form is more important than being polite"...