KEEP LEFT

vinylguy

hey hey

im a mountain biker....on single track i understand no space il wait my turn...but on more open track...does the term keep left not mean anything... or is it just me??? im so sick and having to shout at clowns that just ride in the middle and take up space and turn for no reason right into your path without looking!! smiley7.gif WAKE UP PEOPLE!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree on singletrack that you gotto wait your turn.  On open track that would depend on the road surface, if the right hand track is nice and hard while the left track is "kitty litter" as babbas lodge was yesterday there is no way I am going to dive left into the rough track and leave the smooth and safer route open for someone else. Of course if it can be regarded as a proper dirt road then the normal rules of the road should apply.

Just concerned that you are ranting like a roadie now about keeping left..and the shouting.. Wink

Agree with Backup here . If the track happens to be a dual track but only one is a good "racing" line then that is where you wil find me . If you do politely ask for overtaking space I will make an effort to move over into the less smooth part of the track but don't expect me to ride there just because some race snake may wanna overtake me at some stage . But if there is plenty of space keeping left is the right thing to do .

My view is: If you are pedaling and moving forward you have the right to any part of the track. Passers by need to state passing left,right middle. But if you are pushing your bike then you need to get off the better riding line. If i am cruising and some clown comes speeding up from behind and tunes me to move over when there is ridable track to the left or right...well then said person is going to get it, unless you are an elite rider, racing for money, then screw you, go around. (This is very unlikely as I am usually bringing up the rear of the pack)

Yip as mac states there is a difference between riding and walking. REALLY pisses me off if people walk on the riding line. So lets assume the rider is actually riding. There are only two basic rules that apply to anything on two wheels:

a) The rider in front has the line meaning that he can cut the apex on corners, take the shortest line etc. without looking behind him all the time. It is the responsibility of the riders following to make their intentions known. Having said that

b) The rider in front should always try to react in a predictable manner. Do not make sudden movements if it can be avoided. Easier said than done on a MTB.

O yes the old saying applies - there are only two type of assholes. The one slower than you and the one faster than you. Pick one.

so Manto dies, Allan van Heerden dies (RIP our hero), the guys are beating each other up in Copenhagen, Tiger Woods is in deep trouble, just got over Joostgate, Dubai is in trouble, Greece is in trouble, Pick n Pay are having a fight, our cars are taken from us, we have no service delivery, our bikes are getting hijacked and stolen,  the roads are full of potholes, the rand remains too strong and if not that its too weak, and now to top it all....we are fighting who rides where on a trail.....

sad world this one of ours

me say its time for a beerTongueTongue

Keep your line, if the guy behind is faster then he can spend a few seconds on "kitty litter" to get past. If he is faster then he is probably a better rider and he can deal with the rougher ride better than you.

fist come = first serve

ask and you shall receive ...

that's the only laws on single track according to me except if you push your bike then you must get out of the track totally ...and not walk next to the track but you bike is still in the track

so Manto dies' date=' Allan van Heerden dies (RIP our hero), the guys are beating each other up in Copenhagen, Tiger Woods is in deep trouble, just got over Joostgate, Dubai is in trouble, Greece is in trouble, Pick n Pay are having a fight, our cars are taken from us, we have no service delivery, our bikes are getting hijacked and stolen,  the roads are full of potholes, the rand remains too strong and if not that its too weak, and now to top it all....we are fighting who rides where on a trail.....

sad world this one of ours

me say its time for a beerTongueTongue
[/quote']

... and to make things worse look at this new "Aston Martin"

20091217_070358_606c5c7b542a426.jpg

I dont know why they dont mention this sort of thing at the beginning of the races as well.

it is common sense ...

I think this not only applies to one-directional traffic (ie: keep left, pass right principle) but also to where the track is bi-directional. I can't count how many times I've been hurtling down a dual / jeep track section - be it between ST sections or just because I'm too screwed to take the ST down - and some tjop is coming up (or down, for that matter) on MY side of the track ie: the RHS of the road / trail when they know perfectly well that they should be on the left.

Everyone knows the idea of keeping left, and in these cases it's for good reason.

In that case, I empathise with Tyreone.

If it's uni-directional though, pass where you can.

I think racing rules apply (as in motorsport) the rider in front chooses the line until the rider from behind (who needs to pick his/her own line) passes.

I'm usually one coming up from behind and I'd rather the rider in front concentrate on what he/she is doing as that makes passing more predictable. I can safely assume they'll chose the best line and I then make a plan through the "kitty litter"