Bonking - The bad kind

Spartan SL

One of my friends and I went for a MTB ride early December last year out past Fourways Mall to Northern Farms and back. I was recovering (well, I thought that I have fully recovered) from an illness and I bonked badly on the way back and thereafter!

We left just before 10am (and it was a scorcher of a day) and with about 12km to go, I ran out of water. As we came in on William Nicol, I stopped at the Exel garage where I filled up on some water, and my buddy had to physically push me the last 3 km home!

That whole thing aggrevated my illness and I was booked off work for 3 days (not too bad) and booked off from riding my bike for two weeks (seriously bad!).

Hope I never have to go through that again!

Charvel2010-01-07 03:22:40

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regularly go out on "Bonk rides"....

?

Empty stomach.? Strong cup of tar coffee.? Ride as hard as you can until you _____puke/fall over/die/phone a friend.____ (Pick one)

?

Very good training.Clap

?

The alternative to this?is to get married.

?

Both EXCELLANT methods to teach your body to endure grueling' date=' death defying circumstances!!!!

?

Big%20smile

?

?
[/quote']

I think i've become pro at puking. Why do i always want to puke when pushing hard anyways?

Cycling for a only a few months now, I thought it gets better and better ........... thanks!

Two kinds of endurance athletes ....<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Those who have hit the wall/bonked and those who still will

And once it happens you will know and you will make sure it never happens again.

Two kinds of endurance athletes ....

And once it happens you will know and you will make sure it never happens again.

Very true! Before I've bonked I always read people talking about not being able to finish a trail or race etc. and thought to myself "That'll never happen to me!". Famous last thought and I have vowed to never have to go through that AGAIN! Smile

But that's just part of the journey I guess...

ok in some seriousness - why?

why dont you just make sure it never happens? Why do you need to bonk to make sure you dont do it again ?

why dont you just make sure it never happens? Why do you need to bonk to make sure you dont do it again ?

seriously, sometimes people just forget to eat and drink.

Bonking is like falling. It WILL happen some time!

As for the person asking about Contador's bonking - if I remember correctly it was in the Paris - Nice. Contador was overall leader and didn't eat causing him to bonk and ultimately lose the race.

You can never be 100% sure it wont happen. Once the available fuel for your body to burn drops below a certain point, you will hit the wall. You can do your best to ensure it never happens, but it can  be influenced by factors other than just eating enough.

ever bonked on the Parys Roubaix (cratercruise)?

It was 34 degrees in the shade and there was no shade..no flippen trees in the freestates..i could hardly peddle in my granny gear on the flat just after the railway crossing close to the finish..

Because Murphy is a Ninja!  Big%20smile

in some instances we just dont realise our bodies cant handle it for that period and duration of intensity, sometimes we just forget, those that have bonked i'm sure will never let it happen again.....intentionally.

Because Murphy is a Ninja!  Big%20smile

but does he have nun chuka's ?

in some instances we just dont realise our bodies cant handle it for that period and duration of intensity' date=' sometimes we just forget, those that have bonked i'm sure will never let it happen again.....intentionally.[/quote']

LOL, its never intentionall !

in some instances we just dont realise our bodies cant handle it for that period and duration of intensity' date=' sometimes we just forget, those that have bonked i'm sure will never let it happen again.....intentionally.[/quote']

LOL, its never intentionall !

So this dude has issues, is what you mean?

Regularly go out on "Bonk rides"....

Empty stomach.  Strong cup of tar coffee.  Ride as hard as you can until you _____puke/fall over/die/phone a friend.____ (Pick one)

Very good training.Clap