Campag Problem

anton

Did anyone else read these comments from Boonen on www.cyclingnews.com

"Boonen also explained that a small mechanical in the final sprint prevented him from obtaining a higher placing, possibly outsprinting Alessandro Petacchi. "I couldn't get the chain on the 11," he recalled, speaking of the moment when he was on Petacchi's wheel in the last few hundred metres of the Via Roma. "It's the third time this has happened this year."

Quickstep uses Campy Record 10-speed. I've also got 10 speed Record, and I can testify that I've also occasionally had problems getting into the 11. Even when the bike has just been serviced (by a very good mechanic!)

I wonder if we could see Quickstep moving to Shimano next season. Not acceptable to have the equipment costing victories.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here, though fortunately for me, it was only during a training ride while practising sprints.

Come on you "wrencher's" outthere, what causes this to happen, and how do we fix it. Or better yet, how do you prevent it? smileys/smiley7.gif

A nother thing with Campag is that the C10 chain gets worn out very Quickly......

Is there perhaps a better chain than the C10 that will last longer,I have to keep replacing my chain every month and a half,then of course the cassete too.Any suggestions please??

A nother thing with Campag is that the C10 chain gets worn out very Quickly......

Is there perhaps a better chain than the C10 that will last longer' date='I have to keep replacing my chain every month and a half,then of course the cassete too.Any suggestions please??

[/quote']

SOUTIE, how much milage do you do!? I run a Campy ultra chain, with the hollow pins, on a chorus cluster, and mine lasts for at least 4000-6000km. Sometimes even a lot more. I do however only use my racing wheels for races, and have a seperate wheelset for training, also with a Chorus cluster,

Maybe he did have the problem, but now that he's in a position to (even) win more, he's decided to comment on it. Not often pro's make comments about their equipment.

Chain wear: every month, that's bad. I've done 6,700km on my current one. It probably has less than 500km left before I need a new one.

Shimano:

95% off the time can't get my bike on the 11 and Shimano chains are no better.

Buy a cheaper groupset. I have Daytona (Centaur) and its all great. I have at least 7000km on this chain and cluster and still not wornout. I made my own 25-11 cassette, even though it not recomended.

I only have 9 speed though, maybe its just the 10 speed that might have a problem.

Anyone know where I can get a 25-12 from or even a 25-11. Will still be a while before I can climb with only a 23 and don't ever think I will get down to a 21. Last tiem I bought 2 clusters and mixed them up. Don't want to spend all the money this time.

JimFrase38796.5053009259

I wonder if campy has changed something on the record rear der / chain / sprockets for 2006? Boonen & co have got the best mechanics, I would guess the problem is not set-up related.

Petacchi with Fassa, McEwen with Lotto and Zabel with T-Mobile have won a lot of sprints on record, must be a new problem.

WorcesterWheelers i do a lot of km,but it's only been so far this year.......THe ultra chain i snap with in 1500km so thats no use at all.THis chain has done about 2400km and it's totally worn out.

Do you think they have changed the way they make them or what????

Campag chains last 2x as long as shimano dura ace chains. Also, I have had a centeur cluster that has lasted about 3 years with racing and training. (secret -- keep it clean at all times-- cluster/chain does not mix well with sand)

As for the 11 prob. It did happen quite a lot when I had Centeur, but now with Chorus I have never had the problem and I've done quite a lot of racing with it. I think Quickstep need a new mechanic. Robbie Mcewen has never complained..nor Pettachi when he was at fassa.

I don't have a problem with mine and that is despite my 11 running a little wider on my training wheels.  I have my bike setup to be perfect for the races wheels and adequate for the training wheels (don't use heavy gears much in training).  Boonen did slip quite badly on his one stage win at Paris-Nice.  He lost 5m then regained composure and sped around Davis.  Seems that QS do indeed need a new mechanic if the chain has slipped two other times.  Most likely problem is the limit screw is too far over, or maybe that is too simple a solution.

As for chainwear, my Campag chains last around 5000km, as do my KMC and Wipperman chains.  Snapping chains of any sort is very unusual and I imagine has more to do with riding style or poor setup than a chain problem.

WorcesterWheelers i do a lot of km' date='but it's only been so far this year.......THe ultra chain i snap with in 1500km so thats no use at all.THis chain has done about 2400km and it's totally worn out.

Do you think they have changed the way they make them or what????

[/quote']

I would say for sure that if you snap a chain at 1500km or wear a chain at 2400km then you have a problem. Snapping a chain is normally down to poor changing or cross chaining etc - and if this is how you ride then a worn out chain at 2400km does not surprise me.

Dont think this is an equipment issue but more a rider issue.

WHat do you mean by " Snapping a chain is normally down to poor changing or cross chaining etc",THere is only one way to change the gears.

I clean my chain and cluster once a weel so it cant be the sand and dirt.

In my life of riding i have snapped 5 chains while sprinting,luckly only came down three times and stayed up on the other two times......

It does happen....smileys/smiley19.gif

Quote Soutie - " WHat do you mean by " Snapping a chain is normally down to poor changing or cross chaining etc",THere is only one way to change the gears."

Actually there are 2 ways - right way and the wrong way. 

HeHesmiley36.gif Thats what Bikemax was getting at.

Strange the only time I have had problems with chains "snapping" is on the mtb and thats been due to human error i.e. connecting pin not inserted properly or sudden change into a to larger gear.

Beats me how anyone "snaps" a chain thru normal usesmileys/smiley5.gif