Quality floor pump with accurate gauge

Caerus

So my old Zefal floor pump has gone to pomping heaven, so what pump to go for? Not much to go on so far in this thread, except for the Park Tool pump.

I had a look at the pumps at Cyclelab today, they are very generic, the gauge is designed for a much higher pressure (9-11 bar) so the different between 1 bar and 2 bar is nearly impossible to see since it is really at the low end of their scale.

Since it so low pressure I'm going to get a gauge from midas and just use the hand pump.

G

standard Midas pump, and if small filling top get an adapter, thats whatI'm going to do.

Car tyres don't work much over 2-3bar so thats the scale that the pumps are designed to show, with much more detail.

G

I've got a Topeak Joe Blow Sport. Was almost R400 about 5 years ago but works like a bomb. When the gauge gave in it was fixed within 3 days. IT's got a dual head and the clamping lever is metal. And it i yellow so you will not overlook it when you back up in the veld.

I concur with the Lezyne proposal! Had one of those Giant Tower pumps, what a waste of time. Got a Lezyne with high pressure barrel, which can seat a tubeless tyre on the rim with very little efford. IMO well worth the extra bucks.

What do they cost? They look the bomb though :drool:

There is a few models, but expect to pay in the region of R800 for a decent one.

I concur with the Lezyne proposal! Had one of those Giant Tower pumps, what a waste of time. Got a Lezyne with high pressure barrel, which can seat a tubeless tyre on the rim with very little efford. IMO well worth the extra bucks.

I don't mind paying the money for a quality product that will last a loooooong time, my last pump did about 10 years of service. Nothing more irratating then spending money and then the gauge or something breaks in a year.

I've got a Topeak Joe Blow Sport. Was almost R400 about 5 years ago but works like a bomb. When the gauge gave in it was fixed within 3 days. IT's got a dual head and the clamping lever is metal. And it i yellow so you will not overlook it when you back up in the veld.

Also got a Topeak Joe Blow Sport. good value, had to replace rubbers once

I bought a Serfas Fp-200 Floor Pump from Leigh's at the Pavilion. Came in at around R300 a few years ago. Steel floor stand and barrel, nice big gauge and it pumps my road tyres to 9bar no problem. MTB tyres are a doddle as well. Has a multi head that does both schrader and presta and comes with attachments to pump the kids soccer or rugby balls too. :thumbup: Bought a RAVX before that and took it back. The Serfas was a bit more but they gave it to me at the same price.

post-17843-0-49009300-1312280847.jpg

post-17843-0-07827600-1312280860.jpg

Edit: Pictures added

Edited by Grebel

Whats the differences between the home versions of the Park Tool pumps and the mechanics versions, I imagine that most brands will do this within their ranges? :unsure:

Edited by Caerus

I bought a Serfas Fp-200 Floor Pump from Leigh's at the Pavilion. Came in at around R300 a few years ago. Steel floor stand and barrel, nice big gauge and it pumps my road tyres to 9bar no problem. MTB tyres are a doddle as well. Has a multi head that does both schrader and presta and comes with attachments to pump the kids soccer or rugby balls too. :thumbup: Bought a RAVX before that and took it back. The Serfas was a bit more but they gave it to me at the same price.

I also have one. Great pump, 4 years old and no problems.

This is a great pump and it has a lifetime gaurantee.

I bought these for a customer that takes a score of cyclists across Africa and no other pump survived the abuse. These did.

I don't have one myself since I still have a 20 year old Zefal Husky. However, I replaced its hose with a Serfas one like that on your pump and I'm very happy - never even give it a day's thought.

BBB pumps should be avoided because the local importer doesn't bring in spares for it. In my book that is an insult that will boomerang - no wonder they were taken over by an American company.

In my view a good pump will have:

1) A sturdy barrell that won't flex if you stand on the footpieces and flex the pump side to side.

2) A sturdy piston rod that with minimum flex.

3) A piston with replaceable seal - preferrably leather since O-rings don't perform well in that application.

4) A nice soft hose that doesn't become rigid at low temperatures.

5) A head that takes both Presta and Schrader valves without thinking or blinking.

6) An importer that does bring in spares.

7) A pedigree so that spares will become available in years to come.

8) A gauge on top, not at the bottom. (20 years ago this didn't matter but my eyes now don't work at that range).

Also got a Topeak Joe Blow Sport. good value, had to replace rubbers once

I have one as well, amazing pump. Any Tandem Rider should have one as well as a Topeak Master Blaster (with guage) frame pump. This little beauty is a REAL mini floor pump.

To the OP, buy yourself a seperate pressure guage if you want to determine the tyre pressure. There are several availble for bicycles.