saps mum over party costs

Tuxstir

Bloemfontein - The cost of bringing about 50 000 police officers to Bloemfontein to celebrate national Police Day will be disclosed later, Commissioner Bheki Cele's office said on Monday.

"The information on the budget would be made available in due course. It would be before the event or even after the event," his spokesperson Nonkululeko Mbatha said.

Mbatha said it would be a one-day event and that the police officers would be brought to Vodacom Park in Bloemfontein by trains and buses.

"There is a transport plan and a plan in place to carry the event forward," she said.

Nobody would sleep over in the city as the costs only included transport and food for the day.

Democratic Alliance MP Dianne Kohler-Barnard said whatever the cost, there could be "absolutely" no justification for any "profligate spending" on a party.

She urged the minister of police to explain how much would be spent on entertainment, transport and meals.

Numerous resource problems

The DA also wanted to know how spending money on a party for 50 000 invitees could be justified when the police faced numerous resource problems.

The event was hardly a morale booster for victims of crime who dialled 10111, only to be placed on hold due to understaffed call centres, she said.

The Azanian People's Organisation also criticised taking 50 000 police officials "off-beat" on Friday.

Spokesperson David Lebethe said the event was unthinkable in the midst of so much crime.

He said police visibility on the country's streets had not yielded any dividends in the fight against crime. The police department should instead give officers bonuses.

"This would surely be a good morale booster after police salaries were increased not so long ago," he said.

so let me get this straight.... who was protecting us when 50 000 cops where partying in bloem?

and oh lets give them more money when that money could be spent on new recruits etc... and then to take the cops off the street.... our gov sucks ass

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

who was protecting us when 50 000 cops where partying in bloem?

who's protecting us now? It is actually very smart plan. Now they will have 50 000 crooks in one place and it's easier to catch them.

Funny enough I dont feel particularly safe and comfortable with 50 000 saps members coming to my little town..

Funny enough I dont feel particularly safe and comfortable with 50 000 saps members coming to my little town..
Maybe they can help the now where to be seen traffic cops sort out the traffic screw ups

The pigs are useless here. Had to drive 35km to my folks place last night as the local police would not come out to my parents farm!!! There was a guy threatening my dad with a knife! Let 'em party, maybe they can get that right!

The pigs are useless here. Had to drive 35km to my folks place last night as the local police would not come out to my parents farm!!! There was a guy threatening my dad with a knife! Let 'em party' date=' maybe they can get that right![/quote']

Did you catch the f?cker? With all the police in being in Bloem, it would have been the ideal opportunity to let him "disappear" without them being any the wiser...

No, alas he had already left by the time I got out there, then again its probably for the best. Armed with SWAT tear gas, a 50cm piece of steel pipe, and my steel toed work boots, things could have quickly gotten out of hand!

So everyone is peefed because the cops tried to boost morale?

No parties, just more recruits..., great logic.

Next time you have an office party, remember to tell the big cheese that you decline the offer and he/she should rather use the money to employ more so you can spend even more time troling the hub.

Prehaps they will be more functional after this 'morale' boosting party??!! But somehow I don't think so!!

So everyone is peefed because the cops tried to boost morale?

?

No parties' date=' just more recruits..., great logic.

?

Next time you have an office party, remember to tell the big cheese that you decline the offer and he/she should rather use the money to employ more so you can spend even more time troling the hub.
[/quote']

smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif

let e put it this way...

after my experience with trying to clear a car that i reported stolen... and I recovered a week later.. going to see the detective involved with my case on a friday only to be turned away and told to return monday cause the detective was having a braai with the other police officers (p.s this was last year) i think they have enough team building and moral building parties not to have us tax  payers foot another bill for them to transport 50 000 policemen to bloem for another...

so yes i'm pieved about it..

how ever i will say thanks to the sibasa police officers for thier great service.....

i think the rozzers have made themselves more noticed of late but there are two things i wish to point out before anyone can misunderstand me...

1. Where were they when the spar in primrose was robbed(known fatality was the security guard who at the time the perps entered the spar was pointing percy to the porceline and walking in on the hold up) and the very next day when the same guys hit the primrose pnp at (conveniently well prepared) lunch time.

2. As for the party, i know that i benoni the metros and the rozzers sit and braai just up the road from a taxi rank....

why should they get a special day just for themselves when they sit around all day and still get our hard earned money transferred to their bank accounts?

i wish i could have a special public holiday named after me. i also (and rather annoyingly) sit around all day staring at the walls.

but i second tedibear on the excellent service we received from the sibasa police...

if you want good dependable protection from crime you must go venda...