Dented frame

_Daemon_

Eish....it looks quite bad though. The fact that the edges of the dent are show sharp bothers me. Aluminium does not take kindly to being bent.

Perhaps have an engineering firm of some sort have a look at it. A good one should have the necesary equipment to check for stress fractures that won't be visible with the naked eye.

As for the position of the dent, it's in front of the cross brace, so it will still take all of the stress placed on the toptube by the seatpost.

The paint that seems to have come off....was that scratched off directly by the object that did the damage or did it peel off because of the deformation of the tube?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You saw it in real life Dirt Rider????? A check out by an expert is ALWAYS better than a bad taste in your mouth that could be your last taste!!!!!!!!

Minty, you posted while I was writing this response. I am not a bike frame expert but I do understand the complexity of stresses moments and shock impacts (not shock like suspension) As you say, alu is malleable bit does not like to be bent. It is situated in such a position that it cannot be structurally repaired. It can only be filled with lead!!!!!!
Hendrik Petoors2007-06-18 03:45:38

aaa I see' date=' nothing can seal that, ai ai. I see you use the CrossMarks, I've not had Sidewall trouble with mine when I was using them, must've been just bad luck.

That Pansie BottleGage you've got on the bike, I got them on my Road Biks, can they really keep a bottle going down a rough downhill or do it jump out?Ouch
[/quote']

Have never had a bottle come out of the bottle cage before.

Eish....it looks quite bad though. The fact that the edges of the dent are show sharp bothers me. Aluminium does not take kindly to being bent.

Perhaps have an engineering firm of some sort have a look at it. A good one should have the necesary equipment to check for stress fractures that won't be visible with the naked eye.

As for the position of the dent' date=' it's in front of the cross brace, so it will still take all of the stress placed on the toptube by the seatpost.

The paint that seems to have come off....was that scratched off directly by the object that did the damage or did it peel off because of the deformation of the tube?

[/quote']

Not sure how the paint manage to come off like that....but...that does worry me a little, paint should not just come off like that.

So it lost it's virginity in a big way then? You should've dented it on Saturday already!

How much paint did you lose in the fracas Daemon??????

fracas? you mean face perhaps?

Nothing had some protective gear on.

Ooops wrong photo's here is the right one.

More of a close up shot.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7839/closeuple9.jpg%20

_Daemon_2007-06-18 04:20:09

Here's a photo I took of the the amount of Stans that ended up on the ground from Daemon's front tyre.

20070618_042310_resizedDSC00039.JPG

Having written off two bikes myself - erm...ja - that looks quite bad!Ouch

To the eye your bike sometimes looks way better off than it really is - my first casualty also looked okay and at first i figured it just needs a bit of work, grrr...wasn't the case - had to get a replacement as it would have given in within a week if i continued riding with it.

And that was a road bike - MTB's take much more stress.CryCry

Took the bike to Bruce Ryneke yesterday where I bought it, they say it's fine, no worries, won't do anything to the frame strength, etc at all. There's a anthem that's dented waaaaaaaay worse and it's fine as well.

Now just to get Cycleart to fix the paint etc. until then clear nail polish over the spot with a sticker there ;)

Guest Big H

Happy for you. Better safe than sorry. Why the clear nailpolish. Surely the Aluminium used by Giant even though it is made in China will not rust. You also know the whole frame will have to be resprayed. It can be overcome by adding some fancy spraywork in a different coulours over the area. Something nicely airbrushed may look astounding but even a nice Shimano sticker will do the trick, that is if you made the right choice of groupset.