Lets compare LBS to CRC

madmarc

We just landed an order from CRC

Order value R 5546.85 so free shipping

Clearing & VAT R 905.98 or + 16.333%

compare items we could find on the net in SA at cheapest price excluding shipping from CWC

Campy QS Record FD carbon CRC landed R 832.04 CWC R 1270.00 - 34.5% cheaper. In fact up in JHB the cheapest i got quoted was R 1700.00

SRAM PG970 9sp cassette 11-34 CRC landed R 273.43 CWC R 380.00 - 28% cheaper. In JHB the cheapest i was quoted was R 690.00

Shimano HG93 (XT) chain 9spd CRC landed R 186. 21 CWC R 299.00 - 37.7% cheaper

I often wonder what value is lost by LBS to CRC every year.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definately a lot cheaper with out question.

One of the catches are if the components give you hassles or are defective you have a little problem on your hands & I think this also makes problems for the local suppliers as they are now stuck with carrying out the manufacture warranty.Another issue is,what if the parcel arrives in South Africa & it has been damaged in transit or the wrong spec parts have been shipped.

Its a sticky situation as you can save a fair ammount from buying from CRC.
pedal pusher2010-02-11 05:49:15

It all depends on your basket of goods.

I buy from Williams and he often has items that kicks CRCs butt, and CRC in return wip his arse with other goods.

I just bought the BBQ3 from Williams - R150 bucks vs R300 at CRC

My Park Tool floor pump was cheaper @ Williams and the Lazene I originally wanted was also cheaper at Williams.

Then I got a quote on a Thomson seat post from Williams, R1250 (2 weeks ago), where from CRC I can order (with courier postage and VAT etc) for under R1000.

Or

I find your signature in relation to your purchase a little amusing - you said what??

One of the catches are if the components give you hassles or are defective you have a little problem on your hands.

Although, if you look at the LBS price for the Campy FD, you could afford to buy two from CRC for the price of one from the LBS (and how often have you heard of warranty problems on a FD).

I do agree, though, that for big items where warranty issues are know to occur e.g. frames, it may be better to go local.

Took delivery of my XT crankset last week R1226 on CRC. Cheapest in ZAR was CWC with R2,000 but unfortunately no stock. Cheapest I could get it for in JHB was R2,400 from Solomons. RRP at most JHB stores was R3100. Got myself a crankset, PG-980 cassette, PC-991 hollowpin chain and Lezyne tire levers for R200 less than the RRP of the crankset alone in JHB. That is including UPS shipping and all the relevant taxes... Obviously I run the risk of defective items and no local warranty but that is a risk I'm willing to take...

One of the catches are if the components give you hassles or are defective you have a little problem on your hands & I think this also makes problems for the local suppliers as they are now stuck with carrying out the manufacture warranty.Another issue is' date='what if the parcel arrives in South Africa & it has been damaged in transit or the wrong spec parts have been shipped.

Its a sticky situation as you can save a fair ammount from buying from CRC.
[/quote']

CRC are very good I had a parcel that was stuck for a month in customs and i thought it was nicked so I contacted them and within a week they replaced my " missing parcel" and two days later the parcel appeared from customs thus i got two for the price of one and i then just paid them for the second one.

I just think it is sometimes far easier to buy from them and wait a bit but if you need something in a hurry your local LBS might be quicker if they have stock. I am still waiting for a bladder from Due South when i got my one from CRC a week ago Big%20smile

At CRC prices I generally buy 2 (if not more) of each of each item, saves me having to stress about warranty issues and means I have a nice stock of spares.

Or

I find your signature in relation to your purchase a little amusing - you said what??

Was wondering how long it would take for this comment to get postedLOL but i did not say the chains were for me ??? it was a collective order.

i could not be bothered with local warranty - any warranty is not worth the paper its written on. Besides it only covers workmanship and material defects, and i suppose it s the risk you take - but who would claim warranty on a chain or a cassette - they are consumeables on MTB.

Frames and wheels i would buy local - but with the huge saving on the balance i'd def take the risk

Or

Was wondering how long it would take for this comment to get postedLOL but i did not say the chains were for me ??? it was a collective order.

i could not be bothered with local warranty - any warranty is not worth the paper its written on. Besides it only covers workmanship and material defects' date=' and i suppose it s the risk you take - but who would claim warranty on a chain or a cassette - they are consumeables on MTB.

Frames and wheels i would buy local - but with the huge saving on the balance i'd def take the risk
[/quote'] No need to worry in any case - it is SHIMANO!

Hmm - wrt the warranty issue. CRC has replaced goods for numerous people I know under warranty with no problem whatsoever. They even featured on business TV in the UK for their customer service and the way they are growing because of it, by doing things like advanced replacements etc.

Makes you wonder about the local guys and how they think. There is never any stock of anything (although often the distributors fault admitted) and then they quietly hike all their prices as they cannot survive at their current margins (this was on the hub).

'

Treat your customers like that and see what happens. Thye don't complain, they just vote with their feet. I try to delay all purchases and collect them up and buy from CRC for everything now.

FWIW: Bell Volt Helmet - R3100-00 locally and R1600-00 from CRC. XT Shadow RD - R1100-00 locally and R585-00 CRC. All prices were from LBS in N Suburbs...

Need we say more. Why is anyone not buying from CRC?

Just got an order from CRC detained by customs. Customs required a Clearing Agent to be appointed as the total value of the order was more that 500 pounds in value.

Cost me R1300 to have it cleared via an agent on top of the vat which ends up being 27% for vat and handling.

So lesson learned, if order greater that R6000 split it into 2 orders

FWIW: Bell Volt Helmet - R3100-00 locally and R1600-00 from CRC. XT Shadow RD - R1100-00 locally and R585-00 CRC. All prices were from LBS in N Suburbs...

Once you add VAT and duties the CRC price is closer to R2700. Now consider what happens when you crash:

If you bought the helmet from CRC you have to pay another R2700 to replace it. Net cost R5400.

If you bought it from your LBS, you can replace it for R930 under the local crash replacement policy. Net cost R4030.

This is why I buy helmets from the LBS.

Edman2010-02-11 08:23:33

Just got an order from CRC detained by customs. Customs required a Clearing Agent to be appointed as the total value of the order was more that 500 pounds in value.

Cost me R1300 to have it cleared via an agent on top of the vat which ends up being 27% for vat and handling.

So lesson learned' date=' if order greater that R6000 split it into 2 orders

[/quote']

Or contact me, as numerous hubbers have found out, my service is good and it only costs R342.00 plus your vat and duties

Just got an order from CRC detained by customs. Customs required a Clearing Agent to be appointed as the total value of the order was more that 500 pounds in value.Cost me R1300 to have it cleared via an agent on top of the vat which ends up being 27% for vat and handling. So lesson learned' date=' if order greater that R6000 split it into 2 orders[/quote']

Ngala24 clears for much less than that (can't remember the exact amount offhand, but it's a fraction).

I think splitting the order into two is the best method.

I buy just about everything from CRC these days. I have placed or participated in at least 12 orders. My latest order arrived not even a week after I placed it, but there were items missing. I'm hoping this will not be too much of a mission to rectify.

Bottom line is that ordering from CRC is not without its hassles, especially when our friends at SARS get involved. However, the price difference is just too great to ignore.