Airfrance A380 at JHB International at 11:00 This

BrendonMyb

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I know cyclists are nerds, but this thread takes the cake!  Imagine, plane spotting...

No, I don't care what plane I'm in and bigger isn't always better.   So now you can queue even longer to get into/out of the plan and toilets?  Sorry, but I don't see the benefit TO THE PASSENGERS.  All I care about is having a big seat and lots of choice on the seat-back tv.

Plus not having the Concorde is cool too.  Man, that thing used to wake my kids up when it landed.  Bloody nuisance
[/quote']

The thing landed at Zurich the other for the first time so that it could be certified to operate on a regular schedule from here.

People turned out in the 10000's to watch and get a chance to go on board.

Looking forward to the scheduled flights on those hot humid swiss summer days as it will take off close over our offices....

The world?s largest passenger aircraft, the Airbus A380, has landed for the first time in Switzerland, with more than 20,000 enthusiastic onlookers there to welcome it.

The aircraft touched down at 8.21am on Wednesday. It will spend the next two days at the airport to undergo a series of tests needed to ensure that landings and take-offs can be permitted.

The tests include the aircraft?s ability to manoeuvre safely on the ground, its effect on navigation systems and the ability to be made ready, refueled and de-iced.

The tests will be carried out under the supervision of the Federal Civil Aviation Office.

Among the airlines that will fly the new Airbus in and out of Zurich are Singapore Airlines, Emirates and Lufthansa.

The A380 has a wingspan of 80 metres, four engines and can carry up to 853 people on its two passenger decks.

I heard that the runway at OR Tambo (and most other international airports) wasn't long enough to handle these planes.

I guess Brakpan airport is out of the question then.

There is no way that you could call that an airport.

I heard that the runway at OR Tambo (and most other international airports) wasn't long enough to handle these planes.

I guess Brakpan airport is out of the question then.

There is no way that you could call that an airport.

No its a drag strip now.

Speaking of long runways...

Hein Wagner used the Mafikeng runway to set a (then) World record for a blind driver - I kid you not... he used a Maserati Gran Sport.

He then broke the record again in October last year at Upington airport in a Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG Black Series. If memory serves me correct, it was Lolly Jacksons (aka, Mr Teazer)

He does use the services of a navigator
Frosty2010-02-19 04:58:03

Glad I don't have to opererate this Airbus....must be a logistic nightmare,one passenger missing, security chech in progress, need to offload the passenger bag, 1 hour later find the bag, oops, another passenger decided not to travel anymore as air rage is about to break out in the cabin due to temp rising towards the mid 40's.................... GLAD I don't have to fly this bus, I stick to aeroplanes................Boeing. baie-sukkel2010-02-19 05:19:58

Wow, I know cyclists are nerds, but this thread takes the cake!  Imagine, plane spotting...

No, I don't care what plane I'm in and bigger isn't always better.   So now you can queue even longer to get into/out of the plan and toilets?  Sorry, but I don't see the benefit TO THE PASSENGERS.  All I care about is having a big seat and lots of choice on the seat-back tv.

Plus not having the Concorde is cool too.  Man, that thing used to wake my kids up when it landed.  Bloody nuisance
[/quote']

The thing landed at Zurich the other for the first time so that it could be certified to operate on a regular schedule from here.

People turned out in the 10000's to watch and get a chance to go on board.

Looking forward to the scheduled flights on those hot humid swiss summer days as it will take off close over our offices....

The world?s largest passenger aircraft, the Airbus A380, has landed for the first time in Switzerland, with more than 20,000 enthusiastic onlookers there to welcome it.

The aircraft touched down at 8.21am on Wednesday. It will spend the next two days at the airport to undergo a series of tests needed to ensure that landings and take-offs can be permitted.

The tests include the aircraft?s ability to manoeuvre safely on the ground, its effect on navigation systems and the ability to be made ready, refueled and de-iced.

The tests will be carried out under the supervision of the Federal Civil Aviation Office.

Among the airlines that will fly the new Airbus in and out of Zurich are Singapore Airlines, Emirates and Lufthansa.

The A380 has a wingspan of 80 metres, four engines and can carry up to 853 people on its two passenger decks.

So Switzerland has more planespotters than South Africa!  Wow, personally I see that as a GOOD thing for SA...

It might be great for airlines to have a huge plane that can pack them in in bigger numbers, but personally I don't see the advantage for the passengers.  Will it translate to cheaper tickets, more legroom and more regular flights?  I doubt it.  For the bigger airports I can understand that they might ease congestion, but the noise must be worse. 

OK, enough bitching.  I'll leave you planespotters alone in your little heaven...

[
The A380 has a wingspan of 80 metres' date= four engines and can carry up to 853 people on its two passenger decks.

[/quote]

Only fit 853, taxi drivers could do better.

...Will it translate to cheaper tickets, more legroom and more regular flights?  I doubt it.  For the bigger airports I can understand that they might ease congestion, but the noise must be worse. 

OK, enough bitching.  I'll leave you planespotters alone in your little heaven...

The A380 is one of the quietest long-range aircraft in the world, even though it is so large due largely to it's very efficient engines. In fact it produces even less noise than an Airbus A340 (which is the long-range plane offering from airbus we are used to seeing). I hope that answers your question of the noise issue?

Fuel burn per passenger is rather low (3l/100km), CO2 release per pax/kilometre is 75g/km which is rather good considering the European car industry aims at 140g of CO2/km (2009).

In the longer term air traffic will be reduced thus hopefully reducing delays and ultimately quicker travelling time. 

Using the configuration of about 550 pax (as most airlines will be doing), we will hopefully see increased leg room, although only marginal for us "plebs" in economy. Whether we are going to benefit from Cheaper Tickets, will be one of those difficult questions to answer!! In the short-term probably not (cover costs etc), and in the long-term...once again...probably not, what with the all too common price-fixing etc. In THEORY we should see cheaper flights... but that is only THEORY I guess!!!! just my 2c 

So Switzerland has more planespotters than South Africa!  Wow' date=' personally I see that as a GOOD thing for SA...

It might be great for airlines to have a huge plane that can pack them in in bigger numbers, but personally I don't see the advantage for the passengers.  Will it translate to cheaper tickets, more legroom and more regular flights?  I doubt it.  For the bigger airports I can understand that they might ease congestion, but the noise must be worse. 

[/quote']

Let me guess you think the worlds flat and witches should be burnt?