Airfrance A380 at JHB International at 11:00 This

BrendonMyb

I heard that the runway at OR Tambo (and most other international airports) wasn't long enough to handle these planes.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, nice pics. Wish I could have been there...

In Max configuration (all economy class) it holds 850. But typicly it holds around 550.

I heard that the runway at OR Tambo (and most other international airports) wasn't long enough to handle these planes.

Talking of runways, did you know we have a runway in SA (in mafikeng) thats almost 5km long? Heard somewhere that its a alternate landing strip for the space shuttle if they miss their entry point.

We had a skydiving boogie there once, that thing is huge, cool to see from the air

Yeah I heard about the alternate landing for the shuttle. very cool.

I also skydive, not good enough to go to the boogies yet tho. Where do you jump?

Can some of you read a newspaper occasionally to know about THE BIGGEST PASSENGER AEROPLANE in existence before you make yourself look completely stupid with your questions.

Great photos by the way.  What camera do you have?

Talking of runways' date=' did you know we have a runway in SA (in mafikeng) thats almost 5km long? Heard somewhere that its a alternate landing strip for the space shuttle if they miss their entry point.

We had a skydiving boogie there once, that thing is huge, cool to see from the air
[/quote']

You're correct on the above, longest in the southern hemisphere that one. Think there's one in Langebaan thats also extra long.

Yeah I heard about the alternate landing for the shuttle. very cool.

I also skydive' date=' not good enough to go to the boogies yet tho. Where do you jump?
[/quote']

Used to jump at wonderboom, you dont have to be good to go to the boogies. Just go and jump, lekker experience

our runway in saldanha is at least 2km long we land micro lights on it and some weekends they have Drag races smiley2.gif

The A380 has been to OR Tambo before on a test flight. If I remember correctly it is one of the few runways which is long enough for it.

I heard that the runway at OR Tambo (and most other international airports)?wasn't long enough to handle these planes.

?

?

?

Talking of runways' date=' did you know we have a runway in SA (in mafikeng) thats almost 5km long? Heard somewhere that its a alternate landing strip for the space shuttle if they miss their entry point.

?

[/quote']

From Wiki

Upington Airport (IATA: UTN, ICAO: FAUP) is an airport located in Upington, Northern Cape, South Africa. At 4900 metres, runway 17/35 is one of the longest runways in the world. The high elevation of the airport, extremely high summer temperatures and the fact that it was designed for the Boeing 747 necessitated the extreme length of the main runway.

Upington has a modern airport with scheduled flights provided by SA Airlink (an affiliate of South African Airways). The airport's runway, spanning 4900m[15], is one of the longest in the world and the longest in Africa. It is rumoured that the runway is an alternative emergency landing spot for the space shuttle.

Mafiking: It has one runway designated 04/22 with an asphalt surface measuring 4,500 by 45 metres (14,764 ft ? 148 ft)

I guess Brakpan airport is out of the question then.

20100219_004725_Photo_for_hub.JPG

In the foreground is Runway 17/35 at Upington. In the background is 01/19 which had just been resurfaced. 01/19 is a "standard" length runway. See how much longer 17/35 is.

Upington is one of few airports in SA to have hosted the Concorde. (1979) Will dig around and see if I can find the photo.

I know many a test vehicle is brought in via the airport at Upington, though I'm not sure which runway they would be using. I surmise that vehicles are flown in on 747's.

Also, I believe the Concorde visited the OR Tambo International, the airport previously known as JHB International, previously known as Jan Smuts International, in '92 or '93.

If I am not mistaken Upington was build in conj. with the Americans to fascilitate an emergency landing for thier space shuttles??? Thats the why that runway is that long.

(I stand to be corrected?)

Any one to second that?

EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed( oooops, I see now, already discussed)EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

EDITED
Regard2010-02-19 01:25:21