runners vs cyclists

idrive

I started out running and on runnersworld forum we/they badmouthed cyclists, especially because they never greeted, were arrogent etc.

Been a roadie/runner/mtber/trailrunner for 3 years now, but more of a cyclist lately and I must say that runners don't greet as much as cyclist does, even when I'm running. I found them to be more rude lately.

Or maybe it's because I moved from stellenbosch to gauteng.Confused

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But wait ... I cycle, run, parkour, drive a car, have ridden a motorbike and plan on doing so again.

I feel like such a player.

Next I'll buy a taxi and a horse, then my circle will be complete.

I live in both worlds of Asics running shoes & Sidi road cycling shoes.

Not all runners are rude or care-less.

Not all roadies are arrogant and self-absorbed.

Generalisations... Let's tread carefully.   smiley2.gif

Amen!

I do the MTB and trail running thing. But some hoow dissing roadies on both side of the run/jog spectrum seems pointless.

Might be because the awesome scenery I jog/ride in. And the fact that mountain people just generally seem to be happier.

But wait ... I cycle' date=' run, parkour, drive a car, have ridden a motorbike and plan on doing so again.

I feel like such a player.

Next I'll buy a taxi and a horse, then my circle will be complete.[/quote']Nope, you still need to get the scrap metal cart to go with the horse and the truck that does 25km/h max and bellows black smoke. Then you will just abou have completed the circle.

Hi all !

Come to "Boksburg" and you will see all sports road users, greeting and allowing safe passing spaces ! When last did a cyclist pull over - say good morning and offer the runners some juice !! We do it in 'Bokkiesfontein" ! Keep greating, it comes back tenfold !!  

In our area we have pretty good banter amonst the cyclist /runners... there are a few tidy chicks that run, so do our utmost to impress!!!

Become a duathlete and problem solved!!!! Smile?You get to meet the good looking girls on both teams and you will be less bothered by the runners. Besides' date=' pedestrains always take preference on the road, cyclists 2nd and then other vehicles.[/quote']

?

If you take on the Triathlon you also see the Bokkies take the kit offWink

Too true.

At Ironman last year I did a 30 minute transition and eventually they had to drag me out of the tent. I'm pretty certain that the massive open door between the male and female areas wasn't supposed to be there. Not that I heard anyone complain.

This morning, as most mornings, I ran with my dog along the spruit. She was 10m behind me on the double lane section when a MTBer came towards us. I jumped to the other track and called my dog several times to also follow me. The guy was riding slowly, at about 15km/h (I'm a MTBer myself) and I kept on calling my dog to follow me onto the other track. The rider put on brakes and stopped when he got to my dog and shouted that my dog was out of control. I thought I'd possibly misheard what this idiot had stopped and squawked about, so I ran towards him and and asked  him to repeat what he had said. It's so laughable when someone says something so absurd - he was obviously so out of control at the gentle pace he was rolling at that he couldn't even either cross onto the other track or ride for a meter in the grass to avoid my dog. Instead this flat-nosed, short-sh*t (I suspect that's where his aggression stems from!) stops and spews such tripe! I was so taken aback by such an unfounded allegation but simultaneously floored by the incredible anger this short P syndrome guy displayed, I could just comment on a little bit of aggression coming through, turned around and carried on running. He pretended to scare me by turning around on his bike and saying something about "fight like a man", which is nonsensical, because I have obvious female characterisics, and I'm not only referring to a pony tail sticking out from under my cap! I just carried on running my usual run and ignored him, but thought to myself how strange it was that all my friends warn me about running along the spruit saying it is dangerous because of all the vagrants there. What they didn't warn me about was the incredible aggression of some of our fellow spruit users who get their nappies/cycling chamois into a knot about absolutely buggerall! Endorphins obviously don't have the same effect on everybody, shame!

Some people are pretty stupid when it comes to animals, where I ride you need to keep your eyes open for dogs, people riding horses, cattle wandering around.

Guest Agteros
runners are people who can't afford bikes.

smiley36.gif Cyclists are ex-runners who could not keep up with the work rate smiley36.gif

this is the truth!  we all want to use the road/trail/whatever... just use it and go around the others who are also using it... it's not f**king rocket science! Mojoman ya all hitting the nail on its head.

ActiveC

Dogs not on leads are a major pain to a lot of cyclists, tho' the one you came across sounds pretty unpleasant. I'll always stop if there's a dog close by until the owner has got the dog with them or told me its ok.

Are dogs allowed off their leads on the Spruit - if not, then it stokes people more than usual.

You're right to when you say the dog wasnt out of control.

What the cyclist would see / say is that the dog wasnt under your control.

geez i dont know what i'm doing defending mtbers, they're all so friendly so I'm told.

Joe Low2010-02-25 08:01:35