Fatal Oudshoorn accident

capeofstorms

Condolences to all the the families of Frank Nel, Magda van Lill, Jan Eloff. RIP

From all cyclists in Kroonstad

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO' date=' the dude was on the wrong side of the

road...took a gap into "bad" light whatever...and this happened, he "though" it

was ok to overtake and now he now has to live with that decision....

If a

kid ran out from behind a bus? Who is at fault? The life is lost already, should

we not rather think ahead...should we not think for the taxi passengers, who get

out when and where they want to, should we not think for the kid running from

behind the school bus...etc Should we not think??

what we should all

learn from this is that

we are responsible for other road users also,

our actions(car drivers, bus drivers, motorcyclist, lorries drivers etc)  can

take lives on the road....maybe we should ALL drop the attitude and treat ANY

other road user the way we want to be treated.

[/quote']

well said, coenie. my life, my responsoiblity. and because half the population has below-average traffic savvy, i have to think for them too. it boils down to me.

and if 35 000 people who rides the argus this year, gets the message, then it will be 35 000 curteous drivers and 35 000 responsible cyclists out there. this will make a huge difference.

Some statistics of cyclists fatalities in 2008

GA   KZ   WC   EC   FS   MP    NW   LI   NC   RSA

Bicycle 77  22  47  20  14  26  51  24  7  288

Information from Arrive Alive! [/quote']

ouch :(

Firstly, my condolences to the family and friends involved. I generally try and keep away from contentious issues like this because underlying everything, be it be posting on forums, or driving our cars or riding our bikes, we are generally an angry intolerant bunch of people.

So we could stand here and preach till we are blue in the face about riding in single file, or as motorists respecting other road users even if they are in the wrong - it will do nothing. I also sat and read through that entire car forum thread and just as you see here on the hub, the whole tone is about these dumb cyclists and how they are in the wrong. On the hub its the converse.

Fact of the matter, we are selfish and intolerant in everything we do and until we sort that out we will be having this argument till eternity.

I applaud the black arm band initiative, but it needs a spokesperson to underline the importance of tolerance to ALL road users. Everyone is in the wrong, cyclists and motorists. so stop fighting and think! and more importantly stop being so bl00dy selfish

The guy who hit the cyclists claims the sun was in his eyes and thus he could not see them. Funny then that he would overtake a truck when he obviously would not be able to see oncoming vehicles either. I hear he is out on R 500 bail. Lekker place this country, if you are a black oke blame apartheid if you kill a cyclist blame the sun. Face up to the music big boy, you are now a murderer.

If you are sharing a road with cars and trucks then you have to accept that you are at the bottom of the food chain and not ride like you own the road.

Wrong. Cars may have the power, speed, weight and capacity to mow down cyclists but actually they are at the end of the chain. First come pedestrians, then horses (and riders), then bicycles. Cars and other motorised vehicles come last. (Maybe we should go back to the days of having a person walking ahead of cars with red flags to ensure that they don't hurt the first users of roads and tracks. Most civilised countries, and civilised peoples, respect the weaker users of the road (who also happen to be largely taxpayers). Car users without respect? Well, they don't deserve respect.

If you are sharing a road with cars and trucks then you have to accept that you are at the bottom of the food chain and not ride like you own the road.

Wrong. Cars may have the power' date=' speed, weight and capacity to mow down cyclists but actually they are at the end of the chain. First come pedestrians, then horses (and riders), then bicycles. Cars and other motorised vehicles come last. (Maybe we should go back to the days of having a person walking ahead of cars with red flags to ensure that they don't hurt the first users of roads and tracks. Most civilised countries, and civilised peoples, respect the weaker users of the road (who also happen to be largely taxpayers). Car users without respect? Well, they don't deserve respect.[/quote']

+100.  Clap

Game set and match. Mushilele for President.

I've just heard that the same driver that killed these 3 cyclists also ride over a guys legs who was laying next to the road on the night before he killed these people.

Broken both legs and a pelvis

Wrong. Cars may have the power' date=' speed, weight and capacity to mow down cyclists but actually they are at the end of the chain. First come pedestrians, then horses (and riders), then bicycles. Cars and other motorised vehicles come last. (Maybe we should go back to the days of having a person walking ahead of cars with red flags to ensure that they don't hurt the first users of roads and tracks. Most civilised countries, and civilised peoples, respect the weaker users of the road (who also happen to be largely taxpayers). Car users without respect? Well, they don't deserve respect.[/quote']

Bravo...

Could not have said it better myself.

Anyone remember their learners test? Who gets right of way? Like Mushi said, cars sure aint the top of that list.

But I do agree we cyclists need to ditch our 'we are entitled to the road' attitude.

Guest Big H
I've just heard that the same driver that killed these 3 cyclists also ride over a guys legs who was laying next to the road on the night before he killed these people.
Broken both legs and a pelvis

Is this a rumour or has it been substantiated???????

Someone told me this that stays in the area and was at the accident scene.

Ladismith close to Oudshoorn is a small place and most people knows one another

Guest Big H
Someone told me this that stays in the area and was at the accident scene.

Ladismith close to Oudshoorn is a small place and most people knows one another

So this stays a rumour untill verified. Please treat it as such.