Fatal Oudshoorn accident

capeofstorms

An old cycling book I had recommended riding towards the traffic' date=' especially on a national road. It seems sensible - at least you can see what's coming and take evasive action.
[/quote']

This is illegal and you should not be on a national road in the first place.. if you get hit on a national road don't think of blaming the motorist!

WRONG on your "national road" statement above ...... this is a misconception fueled by ignorance.

You may ride on any expressway or any road not demarcated with a centre island unless prohibited by signage wheter it is a national road or not. You may however NOT ride on a freeway, whether it is a National Road or not.

Search the Hub, the definitions for these roads have been given many times before.

Thanks for the clarifications BigH but I will let my ignorance in detemining what a national road is keep me alive.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are sharing a road with cars and trucks then you have to accept that you are at the bottom of the food chain and not ride like you own the road. I am not saying that this is what happened here but you have got to wonder.

You cannot blame people for wanting to push lycrians off the road when they are behaving like morons. You want to know why you have such a bad reputation? Look at the responses in this thread - get off your high horses, you are not doing yourselves any favours!

For your pleasure

http://www.carforums.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19402&start=0

If you are sharing a road with cars and trucks then you have to accept that you are at the bottom of the food chain and not ride like you own the road. I am not saying that this is what happened here but you have got to wonder.You cannot blame people for wanting to push lycrians off the road when they are behaving like morons. You want to know why you have such a bad reputation? Look at the responses in this thread - get off your high horses' date=' you are not doing yourselves any favours!For your pleasurehttp://www.carforums.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19402&start=0

[/quote']

F you, mate, you make me sick. People died because of a reckless driver. Have you and your fellow sickos on that carforum no respect for life? How about if I post some graphic pics on this forum of dead or injured motorists at the scene of an accident where a truck wiped out a car? And then make jokes about it? How about if someone you care about is in that pic?RacerX2010-03-09 16:25:24

gfa - the lycrians are humans with families and dreams. they are people. lie on your hooter if they're all over your road and you simply have to get them out of the way.  the lycrians know too well that they are the bottom of the food chain. every now and again they are reminded of this fact with news like this.

the driver of the bakkie may feel really bad right now. there's an upcoming court case, possibly culpible homicide. murder. do you think you're doing his case a favour with statements like this?

do you have a mountain bike?

do you sometimes ride it?

in tokai? or in jonkershoek?

a road bike, perhaps?

ever cycled through misty cliffs?

attempted the argus, maybe?

cat-i2010-03-09 16:40:15

To answer all of your questions, no I do not since I am not that stupid. These kamikaze cycle pilots cry foul every opportunity they get but are of course never wrong.

I know the lycrians are humans with families and I do feel sorry for them but I never said that they deserved to die, all I'm saying is that it's time for you to start respecting the road. Don't ride all over the place and assume people will see or go out of their way for you.

I wouldn't mind seeing cyclists banned from all public roads for their own good but since that is not going to happen, at least stop acting like you own the road.

A bunch of drivel.

Thanks for that.

Don't let the door smack you in the ass on the way out.

Bye!

A bunch of absolutely pointless' date=' mindless, drivel.

[/quote']

Thanks for that.

Don't let the door smack you in the ass on the way out.

Bye!

smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif

Shame, looks like the truth hurts.

Maybe go play on the roads you're actually paying for. Oh wait, there aren't any...

Goodbye

If you are sharing a road with cars and trucks then you have to accept that you are at the bottom of the food chain and not ride like you own the road. I am not saying that this is what happened here but you have got to wonder.You cannot blame people for wanting to push lycrians off the road when they are behaving like morons. You want to know why you have such a bad reputation? Look at the responses in this thread - get off your high horses' date=' you are not doing yourselves any favours!For your pleasurehttp://www.carforums.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19402&start=0

[/quote']

F you, mate, you make me sick. People died because of a reckless driver. Have you and your fellow sickos on that carforum no respect for life? How about if I post some graphic pics on this forum of dead or injured motorists at the scene of an accident where a truck wiped out a car? And then make jokes about it? How about if someone you care about is in that pic?

Oh really? So you're assuming the driver was to blame and OF COURSE the cyclist were all innocent? Pull your head out of your arse "mate".

No wonder people hate cyclists so much.

[/quote']

F you, mate, you make me sick. People died because of a reckless driver. Have you and your fellow sickos on that carforum no respect for life? How about if I post some graphic pics on this forum of dead or injured motorists at the scene of an accident where a truck wiped out a car? And then make jokes about it? How about if someone you care about is in that pic?

Oh really? So you're assuming the driver was to blame and OF COURSE the cyclist were all innocent? Pull your head out of your arse "mate".

No wonder people hate cyclists so much.

Interestingly you glossed over the post and picked only the one remark to fuel the argument. To what end?

Sadly, the attitude you and many members on the car forums (as well as the hub) displays exactly the problems on the roads locally.

Road users as a whole in this country really shouldn't be pointing fingers at any specific group.

Using this accident to start pursuing stereotypes and stir up trouble is more than in bad taste.

My vraag is omtrent CyclingSA....dit wat gebeur het is 'n SWART dag vir SA fietsry.....maar soos altyd skitter CyclingSA in hulle stilswye en afwesigheid....nie eens 'n verklaring of enigiets van hulle kant af nie...hulle almal is useless en ek word gedwing om gelisensieerd te wees...

Hi Gerhard

Ek is ook een van daai CSA mense' date=' nou nie n full time job, maar my naam is daar.

n Press release gaan vandag uit- sean b wat dit sou doen is nie kontakbaar, dink hy is dalk in hospitaal by sy vrou.

CSA sal 5000 pamflette by ekspo uitdeel om mense te vra om swart armbande te dra. ek het ook hierdie campaign begin.

n halfblad advertensie is gesamentlik uitgeneem deur CSA, PPA?met n verklaring?in Argus, dit sal voor wedren sondag verskyn.

die Giro bunch sal sondag n statement maak op televisie, dalk stop n kilo van begin van wedren en op TV praat

n paar CSA volunteers sal sondag van 5h met swart tape rondloop en versprei aan ryers wat nie armbande het nie

een van ons mense was verlede week vir 1e keer by n national road safety summit en baie goed vloei daaruit.

as jy aan nog idees dink laat weet my en ons kan dit ook probeer

?

?

?

?
[/quote']

A press release has been sent out by CSA.

See Here

First of all my sincere condolences to the family.

Its so sad to read about the attitudes that some people have. Its definitely a South African thing. Like others have said, overseas you don't see problems like this. Do some people purposefully write on forums just to argue like this?

Shame' date=' looks like the truth hurts.Maybe go play on the roads you're actually paying for. Oh wait, there aren't any...Goodbye

[/quote']

So what you think you little tosser, we only have bikes? I drive a bakkie and a volvo and have my own business. You think we dont pay taxes? People are dead and you want to debate who pays for the roads?

I suppose you think those kids killed by the drunken fools in there minis are in the wrong because they didnt pay taxes and so did not pay for the pavement. Way to go pal, you rock.

I can only assume that a cyclist or a hubber went onto his (GF.A) forum and said a few things, and this is his form of revenge.. Don?t answer his posts should the tosser come back.

Sounds like GFA is the same little weasel who likes to drive a supposedly 'beefed' up Citi Golf/Uno/Tazz/Corsa and has to try and drive up my old 4x4's arse, until he realises that this old 4x4 has a 5mm plate steel bumper front and back, amazing how quickly these girls back off then!!

Remember GFA, rules of Africa, there is always someone bigger than you out there,.......