What caused me to Bonk like a school girl??

mark ellis

You normally have enough energy reserves for 1 hour of racing. So you should start eating about 30 minutes into the race.

About two hours if you are fit and you ate correctely. But 30 mins into is 100%. Your body takes about 20 mins to adjust to the sudden intensity. The last thing you need is blood flowing away from your legs to your stomach.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what about using energy bars during a long ride?? or should I just stick to gels?

gels are for quick energy boosts, atleast that is what I use them for. Bars are better for longer rides.

Rode Babas 70km on Sunday' date='

Bonked like I have never before in my life!!!!

Had a very easy week training with just a gym session on Monday and a 45 min Spin session on the Thursday.

Carbo loaded from Thursday.

First 30 km was terrible, had no legs or energy.  then finally came right for a while but then bonked hard last 10km.

I had an energy bar just before the start, could this have caused my glocose (or what ever)  levels to go all over??

Did I do too little during the week?
[/quote']

Probably, having an easy week is not always a good idea, and easy day or 2 yes but not easy weeks - this probably was the reason why you felt bad in the first half of the race.

How long (in minutes / hrs) did it take for you to start bonking (i.e with 10 km to go)?

Did u drink water with the gel?

Other than the gel before the start what else did you drink / eat before and during, i doubt the gel was the problem (unless you had it neat without a mixer).

sorry, i just saw bonk and schoolgirl....

ill get back to work - a little dissapointed i might add....

sorry' date=' i just saw bonk and schoolgirl....

[/quote']

i agree... no pictures or anything...

i'm gonna complain to ASA about false advertising

[/quote']

LMA!

I wish to make a public appology for missleading the hub population....I blame it on the stuffing eneregy bar!

I had a similar experience in the argus yesterday. I was feeling great, sticking with all the top guys in my group and then after 2 hours I hit a wall! smiley6.gif

I ate 2.5 hours before the race and 30 minutes into it and then again at 80 minutes in just before Smits Winkel. I combined this with energy drink.

Not really sure what happened smiley5.gif

What is average time in hours you've spent on training for the event on long rides?

Reason I'm asking - I've bonked at about 2.5 hours before...this time it was the powerbar...but my average long ride time is approx 2.5 hours...maybe there is a correlation...   

I've seem quite a few dudes drinking away at their Red Bulls in the car park - only to wait ~40min or so for the starts...i'm sure there were quite a few bonks yesterday!!

RedBull = a waste before a race...not so?

[/quote']

i will co-sign your complaint!!!! i was very dissapointed when going thru 3 pages for nothing!!

"Bonk training" is an exercise program designed for weight loss. It suggests the following strategy on an empty stomach the first thing in the morning, when glycogen store levels are low: consume coffee or caffeine equivalent to 2 or 3 cups of coffee, run or cycle at a casual pace (60% of max heart rate) for 20-90 minutes, have a normal breakfast right after exercising. Proponents claim this will force the body to "bonk" shortly into the exercise, and subsequently burn more fat to generate the energy. It is not clear how medically sound this idea is; exerting too much energy and "bonking hard," or experiencing severe hypoglycemia, can be dangerous

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hit_the_wall