CWC has complicated my CRC choice

RossW

Did CWC have any XT wheels to start off with?

I still have 1 sets of XT wheels left for an internationally very good price of R2995.00

Regards

Peter

Between the supporting of LBS over foreign ones - which I agree with I'm getting the feeling guys prefer the Hope and 355's over the Fulcrums although the Red Metal 3's are tubeless ready while the 355's require tape etc. XT's are nice, but for some reason and it's probably a silly reason, I keep thinking that Shimano concentrate on components so their wheels are not as good as other manufacturers wheels ...

Did CWC have any XT wheels to start off with?

I still have 1 sets of XT wheels left for an internationally very good price of R2995.00

Regards

Peter

They did indeed - 10 sets I believe. I saw the boxes and had a look at a set...

I have ZTR Olympics with Hope hubs - Great wheelset! One thing however the rear Hope is really loud, sounds like an old, dry fishing reel when you freewheel. It does intimidate riders in front if you approach, but you must decide if you'll get used to that noise sound! Pretorium2010-03-19 13:22:56

I have been there, had Crossmax SLR's, Fulcrum's, etc.

If you are below 75kg, then i would go for the ZtR rims and American classic hubs with DT swiss revolution spokes - about 1.4kg +- R6k; The yellow stans tubeless sticky tape works extremely well. I have used it for a year now, with no problems. Just use a 50ml syrings to put slime through the valve, instead of loosening the bead of the tyre to insert slime.

If you want something for about R3k, go for XT wheelset, its about 1.6kg.

The bottom line is that the weight of the wheels have a major impact on your riding up the hills. Allso get a light fork.

A pity that 6K is out of my budget; was thinking more max of 4K. Being a real light weight (59kg) I think I will still go for the 355's and lace them to the Hope's; it's my dream wheelset so will stick with those albeit that the Fulcrums are well priced.

Yea, I got a RS Recon Race fork, I think the only lighter RS fork is a Sid? Fox's are crazy expensive and I actually don't think they are worth the price premium.

I recently changed from XT to 355's with Hope Hubs. I like the bling and the sound of the Hope Hubs. The fact that they are not proper tubeless rims like the XT, is a disadvantage. I have a slow leak which I suspect is due to a dodgy valve. This irritates me big time. In comparison the XT hubs seem to roll a little smoother. Would I change back, probably not, as I have my mud tires on the XT wheels for back up. Between the Racing 3 and XT, I would go XT. It is a top class wheelset for the money and the hubs are cheap to service.

Maybe I'm just being fickle, but the XT's as a wheelset just don't grab me like the Hope Hoops with 355's. They are however more or less the same weight so in the end one is just paying for bling and the XT's definitely have an advantage being UST and one not having to hassle with rim tape etc.

I actually think the XT's would look pretty sweet on the bike too,

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=76833&PN=23

Mid way down the page is my steed :)

Gee, now my decision is tough. But I think the Hope Pro II's and 355's are going to win the race. So, if you guys are ever in PMB at a ride and hear the Hope's and they are on a slate Santa Cruz Superlight - it's me :)

Okay, so decided on the Hope Pro II's and 355's. Now, where do I get them locally and for how much? I'd love to support the LBS if I can. I also want DTSwiss 2.0/1.8/2.0mm spokes.

I've got the Hope PRO II SP + DT Swiss 4.2D ... best wheelset so far.

I don't think you will ever need to worry about your wheels.

Nothing touches the 355 rim for dirability' date=' weight and performance! Its the best XC rim I have ever built on!

[/quote']

so true - and now i see I9 have some hubs that make use of 'normal' spokes.....that would be a great build......

http://www.industrynine.net/Hubs