Phil and Paul- Clueless about power and wattage??

Jimmy

Gumpole

For the power guru guys... If I AVERAGED 200w for a race like the argus' date=' spending a lot of the time in the slipstream what kind of time would I be looking at?? assume no wind and I weigh 80kg incl bike, clothing helmet etc.  4 hrs, 3.5, under 3??

I found this website yesterday, it calculate power.

Dont know how accurate, but you can have a look.
[/quote'] Um where's the link to this site?

Thyolo
, I'm glad I could make you feel young again... what happens if I say I was only using one leg? LOL Just kidding... Respect "old" guy WinkClap
Jason2007-07-11 06:33:30

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I AVERAGED 200w for a race like the argus

if you showed up for more than one clubride a year you might just get to average 200w LOL

if you showed up for more than one clubride a year you might just get to average 200w LOL
Does Gummy still ride? The last time I saw him at Kyalami was in the year 1688 when the French Huguenot's were settling here at SA.

Seuss, do you do any interval sessions on the IDT? Is it easier or tougher than on the road?

The whole power thing is just a new Yuppie fad. I cannot see any improvement in Elite cyclsits over what they were previously. All that they now have is a new toy to brag about and prove that their skinny legs does have muscles.

Hey grappie,ek het jou vanoggend sien jaag in die straat af(Generaal Louis Botha).Jy lyk Vinnig!!!!!

The whole power thing is just a new Yuppie fad. I cannot see any improvement in Elite cyclsits over what they were previously. All that they now have is a new toy to brag about and prove that their skinny legs does have muscles.

That brings up a question for me?.... Does it make a such difference to the end result or is it just easier to controll your training and cause less injuries?

I had a mate who used to run 10km's in 29mins...he never used a wrist watch let alone any power meters...don't think it would have made a difference there.

That brings up a question for me?.... Does it make a such difference to the end result or is it just easier to controll your training and cause less injuries?

I had a mate who used to run 10km's in 29mins...he never used a wrist watch let alone any power meters...don't think it would have made a difference there.

A power meter doesn't pedal for you, so it doesn't suddenly make you go faster.

A power meter (just like EPO) doesn't turn a donkey into a racehorse -as they say in the classics.

A power meter does allow you to optimise your training.

So, you can either achieve the same results with less training time, or better results with the same amount of training time.  All within your own potential as an athlete of course.

HMMM, interesting points being made here... its not a supertool thats gonna make you faster all of a sudden. And , the guys who will benefit the least from it would be the professionals. Most of them are already /almost at their max fitness capacity(if one could call it like that). There isn't much more room for improvement. But for someone like me, it would do wonders. Buuut...I don't have the money(or actually I do) but at my level it isn't worth it as yet. But if I really see improvement with my training in the next 6-9 months , the check is IM'08 , I might consider it.

It adds another dimension to your training, see bikemaxpower's site!

Fad, no it isn't... what happens in your training is that you train at a set effort, and use your hrm to monitor your body's response to the training.

At the moment your're more like throwing a rock in the bush...

...and then you get those that are jealous and become suur-tiete like me and I suppose you oom H.

It's training technology advancing like Lotus/Domino 6/7/8 from Lotus 1-2-3. Remeber you also got the latest PDA... is that not considered being yuppie? You were asking everyone on the HUB how to use it right?

I say if the okes got R5k - R25k to blow on a power meter, let them. I do think this is the way to go wrt to training in cycling. I can't recall a pro still using HR as a method to train. I still do, but that's just because I don't have the moola to buy a power meter yet. Cry

Argus power and time depends upon what group you ride in and how you ride - a 2.37 this year was 4.5w/kg in the Giro bunch and a 2.57 in the vets bunch was  4 w/kg (Normalised power)

Power is just an accurate measure of output - if you put out more watts/kg for a given duration, then assuming all else is constant, then you will be riding faster.

So using a power meter allows you to measure output, and therefore train more efficiently. Look at it like any tool that gives you accurate and relevant information - if old Big H was measuring a roads level, he could use his experienced eye and guess.. or he could use a tool that gives him accurate & reliable data.

Go ask Oom's Yuppie buddy, Lance if he thinks it is a useless toy??Tongue

Seuss' date=' do you do any interval sessions on the IDT? Is it easier or tougher than on the road?

[/quote']

cant really do the intervals on the road during the week around where i stay - there is too many traffic lights / stop streets around - the cradle route is ideal,  but a bit dangerous and very dark in winter times.

SO i do the intervals on the IDT - FAR harder than on the road -

bruce made me do a FTP test on the indoor and we now use these zones for intervals on the IDT.

currently my FTP on the indoor is about 16% less than on the road (yes - i am working on it!!!!!!),  but at least this way I can actually complete the interval set without killing myself for the first 10 minutes of a L4 and then give up!

so yes - the intervals are by far tougher on the IDT than on the road in my experience.

seems that some guys can get it right,  and others cant. 

it also seems that the type of IDT you use makes a difference - if I could sneak a Kurt Kinetic with the 20lb flywheel past mrs. dr. seuss without noticing it would have been mine long time ago!

there is a very long & interesting thread on cyclingforums.com on the whole subject.

one thing that i have found as that a good fan (industrial size!) makes a huge difference with your RPE & your mind does not tell you that you are going to die after about 15 minutes of sweating.

...15 minutes of sweating.
LOL... The sweating part... When I'm done with my session I look like a tennis ball that's been in a Rotwieler's mouth for a couple of minutes... seriously WET!!

I don't use a fan cause it drys out my nose/mouth and I get sick. I prefer to sweat it out and then hop in to the bath straight after the session.

I don't use a fan cause it drys out my nose/mouth and I get sick. I prefer to sweat it out and then hop in to the bath straight after the session.

cant you put a fan behind you or to the side? 

even if you have it blowing on you legs it should make a difference.  perhaps point it away from you - it should still cool the room down a bit.

as i said - the fan made a HUGE difference for me.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t-343971-15-1.html