eggbeater vs candy

Aquatic

Between the two,which one is the better one to go for?Apart from weight ,does the platform on the candy  make a difference?Did anoyone ride both and have any feedback?thanks

I have Eggbeaters on my hardtail and Candys on my single speed. I must say I am leaning towards Candy's. Weight is not really an issue, there is only a few grams difference. My reasoning for getting the candys on the SS was for the amount of standing one does it would be better to have the platforms for extra weight distribution.

I have not had my Candys long enough but the eggbeaters don't last long before you have to replace the bearings and bushes using the rebuild kit. Maybe it is because the Candys are the SC ones and my Eggbeaters are only C.

I am most likely not going to rebuild the Eggbeaters again and will be replacing them with a new set of Candy SC.

Hey,

I have both egg beater SL and candy C. I find quite a difference with the platform, my foot seems more stable giving more confidence on rough downhills. I also had to rebuild the egg beaters due to wear. While I was waiting for the rebuild kit I got some Candys.

The candy C's cost about R250 on chain reaction an are lighter than XTR pedals (and work way better). Plus they come with new cleats, which for me needed replacing. So for the price of the rebuild kit plus cleats, you can get a brand new set of Candy C's.

For value its a no brainer. For stability its also better. For weight weenies, maybe those few grams mean alot...

I don't know about rebuilding or replacing, guess I just haven't reached that point yet. lol.

I have had both the Candy and eggbeaters, and while I enjoyed both, I LOVE my eggbeaters. The candy gave me some hassles (but could be cause my cleats were set up wrong?) , but never enough for me to dislike them.

But, i like my eggbeaters.

I have Egg Beater SL's and Candy SL's I prefer the Candys as I have a broad foot and they feel a lot more stable than the EB's. I also did not like the exessive float on the Eggbeatres and have not ridden them for some time.

The mud clearance on these pedals is far superior to any other pedal on the market, and this is wjhat makes them so attractive.

The only beef I have with the Crankbrothers pedals is that they cost alot to maintain. Although thery are easy to rebuild using a rebuild kit, you have to do this waaay too soon and too often at R179 per 1500kays it could get expensive.

Dont buy the MXR range as these cannot be rebuilt with a rebuild kit, they are actually disposable pedals, as the will give you 1000kays only. Go for at least the SL range.

the weight difference between Eggbeater's  and Candy's of the same range - is usually about 27grams

the key difference is contact area with the shoes - indicated above

I like my Candy's because I can "clip out" and still rest my foot on the pedal while attempting technical sections.

It appears the accomplished riders don't need to do this.

p.s. I am not known for my skill on a bike 

I love my beaters and have ridden on them with shoes and do unclip and ride on them sometimes, IMO the extra plastic on the candy is useless, how will a carbon soled shoe make use of the extra platform, it surely wont flex to conform to it ?

the carbon section of the shoe where the cleat attaches doesn't press on the pedal.

the lugs or studs of the shoe around the the cleat recess, press on the areas

take a look at the pictures posted above the contact area is marked in red

I noticed on Kevin Evans egg beaters he has tape wrapped around the areas you have marked red, any ideas why?

20100413_232411_contact_area_Ca.jpg
contact Area for the Candy indicated in RED

20100413_232449_contact_area_Eg.jpg
Contact area for the Eggbeater in Red

does this mean there are two pairs of cleats with lipstick on them now in the 'demo' section of the site?

I noticed on Kevin Evans egg beaters he has tape wrapped around the areas you have marked red' date=' any ideas why?[/quote']

Yes

Wink

but If I tell you, (you know the rest)

all will be revealed in time

does this mean there are two pairs of cleats with lipstick on them now in the 'demo' section of the site?

LOL