High protein diet

Omlette

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like "Atkins", or "the drinking man's diet", or "die dieet waarvan almal praat". I did the Atkins diet (as an experiment) for 4 months about 15 years ago and lost about 30kg of fat. So it worked for me. That was with no exercise involved. If you up the protein ratio of your diet, you also up the fat ratio, so you have to cut on the carb ratio (the starchy stuff such as bread, pasta, pap, rice) to "balance" it out, assuming that you eat natural food products such as meat, eggs, cheese, fish etc. Cutting enough starchy carbs from your diet for an extended period of time (about 3-4 days) will result in ketosis, which can be beneficial for fat loss esp if you do not exercise, but only if you are in good health ( but people who do not exercise regularly are typically not in great physical shape), and as this tendency to lose weight is more relevant in the later years of life this can be quite dangerous if not monitored closely by a physician, as the kidneys take a beating during extended ketosis. The problem is also that it is difficult to keep the diet on track, cheating with a bit of extra carbs will play havoc on your mental feeling of wellbeing, as well as cervelo mentioned, you basically stink (sweat and breath from hades). I have not been able to verify the claims from Dr Atkins that extended ketosis will clear the artery walls from cholesterol deposits, or bring high triglyceride levels under control. This is a topic very close to religion, politics and rugby.

Any good ideas/recipes on how to eat tuna without the yummy mayo??

Make it with low fat cream cheese taste even better

High protein diet for a cyclist,mmmmmmmmm, not a chance it will hamper performance. Agree with the previous posts on digestibility and lets face it, carbs are the source of our fuel, you want to feel energetic and keep the body fat low. Stick to complex carbs, and lean protein, get ride of the nonsense, its easy to stick to and it will get you performing better.

To the reader who mentioned Dr Delport, I actually disagree with her nutrition for sport, I think its too old school, we have advanced a lot. How can you not even mention quinoa as a carb, it rocks the planet man :-) , highest protein complex carb and it never even got a mention in her book.

body can only use 46 grams of proten @ a time ,the rest WONT turn into fat , it will just be ...... out! basically too much protein @ a time is a waste of money.

Tuna recipes:

Mix tuna with those "tomatoe and onion mix" cans. It's actually not too bad.

Mix tuna with lemon and black pepper.

Try those pre-mixed packets from John West.

Whole wheat bread + tuna + low fat cheese in the oven.

Remember to use the tuna in brine and not in veggie oil. If he really want's the tuna in oil, at least buy the one in canola oil.

There's no such thing as a perfect and generic diet.

Stop stuffing around, spend the bucks and see a Sports nutritionist, such as Karin Paquay.

Together, you will:

Measure current status

Set (for your specific needs and ambitions) goals and realistic targets

and soon you'll see measurable results. 

I did this and now the "diet" has become a lifestyle, keeping weight under control even when not prepping for a race. What a pleasure!Wink

Omlettes
If you take out the yokes.

It was a yoke LOL

No yoke intended   smiley36.gif smiley36.gif

..Yokes are funny

Tuna is lekker. I used to eat 1-2 cans a day for almost more than a year and I still like tuna.

There's no such thing as a perfect and generic diet.

?

Stop stuffing around' date=' spend the bucks and see a Sports nutritionist, such as Karin Paquay.

?

Together, you will:

Measure current status

Set (for your specific needs and ambitions) goals and?realistic targets

and soon you'll see measurable results.?

?

I did this and now the "diet" has become a lifestyle, keeping weight under control even when not prepping for?a race. What a pleasure!Wink
[/quote']

smiley20.gif

Can also recommend her.

Agree with see a proper dietitian,

I spent years stuffing around with general diets, taking protein shakes left right and center and could never cut down the fat.

Saw a dietitian end of last year and she gave me a proper eating plan and opened my eyes to a few things when it comes to suppliments!!! 90% off what I was taking was a complete wast of time and acctually hampering my efforts!

Be careful of a Protein diet. You need the carbs. Especially for us cyclist.

Buy the way; forget about the word ?protein?. Proteins are present in both carbs and fats. Think of fats and of carbs.

When you eat, don?t mix the two. Have a fat meal or a carb meal.

Remember, eating carbs release insulin, the hormone that stores fat. Eating fat alone don?t release any insulin therefore no fat storage. Out of interest, a fat is anything with a face, chicken (eggs, meat etc.), beef or cow (meat, steak, milk, cheese etc.) fish, etc. If something does not have a face, it?s a carb. Vegetables can be eaten with any meal. Fruits are a carb (sugars).

Check out http://theharcombediet.com/ and get the book. It works and you feel great. It sorts out a few other problems like Candida, food intolerances and cravings.

Get the book at kalahari.net

OscarS2010-05-13 11:17:48

Why would you want to go on a high protein diet ?

Thought you'd be the first to advocate something like this....