Is Cancellara a motorbike?

hippo

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eish this McQuaid guy comes across as a clown.

"They are still not invisible," he said. "All the evidence we're seeing

. . . is that the battery is about the size of a bag of sugar."

Thanks for your professional assessment of the problem Pat. Would that be a 50kg sack or a 50 gram sachet?

It's not an electric motor! It's internal combustion! The downtube acts as the cylinder and the crankshaft is housed in the BB. The rest of the frame is the fuel tank. Something like this ...

20100603_102949_check2L.jpg

Cool, are you taking orders? I have a Hill Climb TT coming up in Spring. Can I get dual exhausts, one for each chainstay? How effective are your silencers?

Or a compressed air cyclinder like a tyre bomb providing upwards of 120psi to drive the cylinder. Pneumatics! Totally soundless. Oooh, I'm a devious bastard. Maybe I have a great future in professional cycling. (Incidentally, the plan is from a bike that theoretivcally would store compressed air in the frame tubes. Going downhill build up reserves, and you released them uphill. Dunno if it ever got made, or worked ...

A brushelss motor runs far longer than a brushed kind on a given battery supply

Not really that much longer and you would have to use lipo batteries.
Besides' date=' with the diameter of the actual unit being thicker than the bike's actual seat tube, is enough reason for me to find this a joke.[/quote']

A brushless motor runs conciderable longer and faster than a regular brushed motor on lipo.

I raced RC cars when living in the States and you cannot compare the two

Even though it does look suspicious, the reason I doubt it is true, is that the circle of implication becomes much larger, and as such the risk is higher.

It is likely that this sort of thing will have to be done with the knowledge of the bike manufacturer, and they have much more to loose than the athlete. They simply cannot risk such a thing, cause they will be putting their whole business on the line. And if they did take such a risk, well then they have made a very costly error of judgment.

If a guy dopes, he stands alone (mostly), even though other may have

known. Even others higher up the chain may get caught, but they too are

mostly individuals. When a motor is used, a whole company may go down

with the athlete. I cannot see a reputable company taking such a risk

(although stranger things have happened, so will not bet my life on it).

If it was done by one of their riders, without their knowledge of it (by some 3rd party), then the situation is slightly different, but it would still be in their own interest to get to the bottom of it and clear up the facts with the particular riders implicated, because it will undoubtedly reflect on the manufacturer indirectly.

This is one case where we don't want to sing the song "make the circle bigger"

It is likely that this sort of thing will have to be done with the knowledge of the bike manufacturer' date=' and they have much more to loose than the athlete. They simply cannot risk such a thing, cause they will be putting their whole business on the line. And if they did take such a risk, well then they have made a very costly error of judgment. [/quote']

What if the bike manufacturer does not know about it; what if the mech of the team is the only one knowing?

This has been crapping on for weeks on all the forums around the world and it has got me wondering. Perhaps someone could set me straight.

If a small motor can put out 50 to 100 Watts and Fabian can easily ride at 350 Watts. Does the motor really help, or does all the motor's power just get over run?

It is likely that this sort of thing will have to be done with the knowledge of the bike manufacturer' date=' and they have much more to loose than the athlete. They simply cannot risk such a thing, cause they will be putting their whole business on the line. And if they did take such a risk, well then they have made a very costly error of judgment. [/quote']

What if the bike manufacturer does not know about it; what if the mech of the team is the only one knowing?

It is certainly possible yes (see my last paragraph). In such a case, the team could possibly be implied? I don't know how the team will explain that they didn't know.

This has been crapping on for weeks on all the forums around the world and it has got me wondering. Perhaps someone could set me straight.

If a small motor can put out 50 to 100 Watts and Fabian can easily ride at 350 Watts. Does the motor really help' date=' or does all the motor's power just get over run?
[/quote']

Good question. I have no idea.

If a small motor can put out 50 to 100 Watts and Fabian can easily ride at 350 Watts. Does the motor really help' date=' or does all the motor's power just get over run?
[/quote']

Good question. I have no idea.

Strange question.. how could a motor be 'run over' - 100 watts + Cancellara's 350 = 450. Same as when you are going downhill - gravitational force relative to the incline + your pedalling = increased velocity, regardless of how small the incline.

Wow he does seem to have a super human boost (wish i had those legs)

even if the motor di make a noise like the one on the mtb, the crowd are making such  a noise that it wont be heard.

A real shame if this turns out to be true.

A brushelss motor runs far longer than a brushed kind on a given battery supply
Not really that much longer and you would have to use lipo batteries. Besides' date=' with the diameter of the actual unit being thicker than the bike's actual seat tube, is enough reason for me to find this a joke.[/quote']

?

A brushless motor runs conciderable longer and faster?than a regular brushed motor on lipo.

?

I raced RC cars when living in the States and you cannot compare the two

I have brushed and brushless RC cars.

I sommer race them here in S.A.

Considerably longer yes but we are still not talking anything close to an hour here, it would require a good amount of batteries and as I pointed out much earlier, where will they stick these battery packs ?

The only way to hide it all is to do the frame moldings and then hide the batteries withing the bike.

Something tells me that at this level of racing when a UCI official picks up the bike and takes it through scrutiny, that he might notice the extra kilogram "hidden" in this bike.

Lipo batteries on a brushed motor is just being silly and over capitalizing where no added benefit would come in to effect IMHO.

But let's just all take a step or two back and look at why this came about.

Italian journalist Cassani made the claims based on video footage he showed in the original clip.

Here is my first post on the topic, I think it's plain and simply just laughable and as a journalist he got the sensationalism he was looking for.

Just had a look and see some issues here.

That device they are talking about doesn't seem to have much torque' date=' when the dude squeezes the button the crank spins but in all honesty Cancellara would be able to turn the crank faster than 90 RPM and with more thrust and power   as well.

Every single bike gets checked by race officials from top to bottom to make sure that they satisfy the UCI regulations.

The funny thing is that on the Flanders repeat he clearly shifts with what looks like his middle finger, this is all that would be needed to make the double tap shifter do it's job.

The device is designed for a 31.8 or something seat tube diameter. Cancellara's Specialized has a 27.2 mm seat tube diameter ???

Here is a picture of the Spartan winning the race.

http://cycling.sport24blog.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/054ba_cancellara-wins.jpg

I can't see any buttons or extra bags such as a saddle bag or even a bottle.

This would be required to house the battery pack as well as the electronics needed to make this device work.

He also has no bottle on his bike so he couldn't even carry the stuff in a bottle and had he ripped it all of somewhere on his escape to victory, it would have been a scandal loooooong ago.

Still no buttons or extra wires ???

http://www.crank.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/cancellara1.jpg

He just had better legs on the day, he was strong and fresh when his competitors started running low on fuel.

Non pensavo che avrei visto il giorno in cui un italiano sarebbe venuto fuori con una teoria della cospirazione muto, quasi come i francesi.[/quote']

Boonen says he cramped and his back wheel slipped out at the moment Cancellara rode away from him.

http://in.reuters.com/article/idINIndia-47435820100404

Canellara laughs off the moped accusations:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/cycling/article7142994.ece

Still seems like this might be feasible though, by reducing the size of the motor and weight of the batteries etc.. perhaps nothing fishy happened at Flanders, but the UCI is claiming to be taking it seriously in the future.