Poor medical aid cover for pro SA cyclists?

epoh

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All Pro riders must had medical cover if riding overseas. An EU visa will not be issued without proof of Medical Insurance. If participating in sporting competitions an additional insurance cover must also be included.Carmac2007-08-03 08:45:04

J.F.C. "WHY DO CSA NOT COVER THEIR PRO RIDERS"?If they are neo pros not covered by sponsor.There is no excuse;please do not reply reply with any "reasons" to this post ;recognise the problem .NNF No Name Funrider2007-08-04 02:21:34

When I raced overseas no medical aid was willing to cover me, none of them wants to cover professional sports men, a bit unfair I'd say.

Have had a 'brief' read through the forum, and have many 'thoughts' about the topic.

I speak of my own son's case:  Jnr has a Medical Aid in SA: A add on to ours, as he is over 21. Covered most costs up to now, including all treatment when collided with the taxi recently.

When he travels overseas, I take out a 'top up' through AIG Insurance. Overseas Travel and Sports cover for the duration of his stay:  BEST Thing I ever did.  He had a few nasty accidents in Belgium, and ALL Costs covered in full.  They even took the case against a driver, who tried to sue us, and never heard another word.  Yes, was probably expensive, but well worth every single cent spent.

It is not for us to decide for others, what is best, what maybe should have been, but maybe to learn and make sure that you have the right cover....... Cycling, as life has its moments.........

I don't know whether there would be someone doing this ' date=' does anybody know a broker who handles all the medical aids concerning membership and info? [/quote']

Feel free to contact me as we represent Discovery Health, Liberty medical Scheme (slowpoke belongs to this scheme) and Momentum Health.

Clive Hardy

A few years ago we set up financial planning and advise for pro athletes. This covered medical aids life insurance disablity etc. The most important was what athletes did with their money so they were advised on investments etc as one package.

This was mainly with rugby and runners.

We are now completing a general athletes profile:

I would like to know some information:

Are all pro cyclists only cycling or do you have other jobs?

Have you had regular injuries or accidenst from cycling?

Do you have adequate income form your soort as a profession? 

How many hours do you as a cyclist pro or social ride a week?

What % of these hours are done on the road?

Do you have adequate medical aid and life cover?

What is an affordable premium for you on a medical aid?

Motorsport South Africa will not issue a licence unless you are able to PROVE you have medical cover specifically for motor racing. They also have arranged cover which most licence holders opt to take out.

As an MSA accredited photographer I've made sure I'm covered on a race track. Last year I was in ICU for 3 weeks and I'll rather not pay my bond than go without medical cover.

MEDICOVER IS OOK GOED. VIR 4 PERSONE KOS DIT R2.200. DIT IS N VOLEEDIGE COVER MET N GAP AANVULLING. DIT IS HULLE TITUN PLAN.