'Bicycle prices fixed'

gummibear

Guest Big H

All I see is really "kruppel" values being exhibited as well as a whole bushell full of biased opinions.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said 'Slickman'. Check what the major clothing retailers markups are for example and you'll all crap yourselves!

The shops buy at the same prices and the wholsalers (importing agents) have to carry debtors (shops accounts) which costs money as well as having to pay upfront for the goods they import. Manufacturers don't carry debtor accounts.

Sadly the CRC issue could see a number of smaller bike shops going to the wall, but the smart ones will be charging between 10 - 20% of any bike they're asked to build with CRC parts at normal full retail selling price. Hey, its expert skill to build a bike and reasonable to make a profit if one is in business.

All I see is really "kruppel" values being exhibited as well as a whole bushell full of biased opinions.

Ok so Big H , what do you suggest? By the way you are doing the same..... hubbers are clubbering the LBS and you are clubbering the Hubbers.....

If I feel like giving money away I give it to a charity.

Otherwise I buy my goods where its cheapest, usually online.

My LBS - Cycle Fix in Pretoria East is not one- JIPPIIIIEEE

Well done it Wimpie!!

Still belief they are the best!!!!

Excellent service, prices and advise. Wimpie and Will are great in what theyt do. Well done Cycle-Fix!!!

Excellent service, prices and advise. Wimpie and Will are great in what theyt do. Well done Cycle-Fix!!!

Where are they? I need to get my bicycles serviced....

All i can say is support Chris Willemse Cycles in Belville.... these guys go out of their way to beat prices and do not team up with all these jicheads

Where are they? I need to get my bicycles serviced....

They are at the Silver Oaks shopping centre, Hans Strydom Drive, Pretoria East (Close to the N4 highway) Their phone number is: 0128093609.

I like the hub becuase it reinforces my prejudice of the ignorance of the human race. I see one complaining about a bike shop charging R250 per hour (How much I wonder does this particulalr person earn an hour) Taking that the bike shop has rent;Rates/water/lights/ paye, insurance/ public liability; breakages.....blah blah)

If the retailers in any big shopping center were to have a mark-up of 35% the stores would all be empty.

Now I am not for one minute saying that there are not importers;resellrs etc that are not taking the piss completely, but it is the market that accepts these prices and the proof is that only until the advent of CR shows that the market dictates!

CR is also not perfect as much of the latest tech is not available because the manufacturers withhold the latest bling from the internet else the retail stores would bin their product from the shelves which would mean that you my dear freinds would not be able to try the stuff; touch; hold; feel; drool over the next whizz bang thing that is going to get your rocks off which means that the manufacturers will not be able to sell anything at all.

we are all in this together as a market and thats my 2 cents worth

Agree somewhat with agen. It is not the R250 an hour at the LBS. That is actually VERY cheap. I moved back from the USA and was so stokked to be able to get my bike services for a reasonable rate compared to $90-$200 for a full service in the USA. That does not exempt the owners from ripping it. I can understand ripping it if that was a sustainable model. My question again goes back to why must every transaction extract the most out of the consumer? What about pricing the bikes fairly, competitively with the rest of the world and selling more of them. The market here...at least the MTB market right now is ready for that. Have people replace thier bikes every 2 years instead of every 3 or 4. You sell 6 bikes in 12 years intead of 3. Big difference! That also gets you better pricing with the manufacturer or importer (it should anyway). Or if you are going to rip me off then at least give me something....like a free service plan so every 6 weeks I can get the bike sorted.

Well said 'Slickman'. Check what the major clothing retailers markups are for example and you'll all crap yourselves!

The shops buy at the same prices and the wholsalers (importing agents) have to carry debtors (shops accounts) which costs money as well as having to pay upfront for the goods they import. Manufacturers don't carry debtor accounts.

Sadly the CRC issue could see a number of smaller bike shops going to the wall, but the smart ones will be charging between 10 - 20% of any bike they're asked to build with CRC parts at normal full retail selling price. Hey, its expert skill to build a bike and reasonable to make a profit if one is in business.

Hmm, obviously from the trade but none the less

Point 1 - mark ups at big, for eg clothing retailers, is no larger than normal, in fact some of the really big retailers have a standard markup on most lines and its usually around 40%. Dont forget these big retailers make more cash in their pockets because they buy direct in bulk, thus cutting out the middleman and putting his profit in their tills, the profit LOOKS BIGGER to Joe Public, but the public do NOT pay any more than they would have, had their been a middleman and in most cases they pay a LOT less. Also remember these big retailers carry your account -not many bike shops I know carry customer accounts.

Point 2 - While Asian manufacturers do not carry accounts, most Western manufacturers DO carry debtor accounts, INTEREST is low for them and they prefer to wait 60 days for payment than give substantial discounts.

But, even if they dont, there are mechanisms by trade finance banks whereby purchasers (importers) can delay payments up to 180 days after shipping, - the supplier is paid immediately on shipping, but the importer only pays the bank back much later, this usually means the importer has sold the goods LONG before THEY actually have to pay for it.

Point 3 - Like I care if a shop gos to the wall - this is business, its not a hobby. Good businessman make things happen, good businessman keep prices low and dont collude, good businessmen keep customers happy and importers / manufacturers in business, thats the way it works - bad businessmen on the other hand are more concerned about what the opposition are doing than watching their own tills, then when they go under its everybody elses fault and they want us to feel sorry for them - sorry, its tough out there, I have a family to feed and a morgage to pay, charity begins at home.

Point 4 - Buy yourself a clue!!. What expert skill.? Most shops I see have some unskilled labour with minimum tools and knowledge - just page through this website to see the stories of bicycle repair horrors.

In my opinion the cycle industry is reaping what was sown a long time ago.

From the smallest "garage shop" to the largest bricks and mortar store,this industry has fallen victim to the short sighted avarice and greed, that is its historical foundation.

Okay, - I am done.

Just before we all go boycotting the shops on the list, just remember that these shops supports people with families that earn their livelyhood from those busineses.

Yes the business owners made a mistake, but now they are paying the price.

See if your LBS has learnt their lesson, if they havent, find a new one. Thats your choice

By this mentality, you might as well feel the same way about 419 scammers, car hijackers or any other criminals out there. Many of them also have families to support etc. Lets not forget though that some of these cycle shop funded families have been living fat in big houses thanks to us suckers.

I see no difference between collusion like this and any other criminal act that affects a consumer. We were ripped off for a long time.

Zeepee, it's about the principle of the matter. To me, if someone lies it doesn't matter the size of the lie. I will never trust that person again, on any level. These business owners should have kept their honour and integrity, and put their families first. What they did was put their own greed and selfishness ahead of their families, which is shameful. Now they've been slapped on the hand, but the damage has been done. Many of us have found ways to import our bikes and parts now, and they are suffering for it. Do I care? Not in the slightest. I want to ride my bikes, and spend my money saved on my loved ones.

I see where you are coming from though, and sometimes this mentality of 'give 'em a chance' is valid. A case in point would be the BP oil spill disaster. Many folks are busy boycotting BP by not filling up at the BP pumps. A rather futile attempt to show BP a lesson. The result is that the pump owners, who have families to feed, don't sell petrol. Now did the pump owner greedily skimp on engineering at the drill heads to increase his bottom line? Of course not.

This isnt the case with these cycle shops. They all got together, had meetings about how to screw over the consumer, and anyone who didn't toe the line would get screwed over too. Its shameful. I was very sad to see Bowman's on that list, as I'd always liked them. Needless to say, I've not stepped foot in their shop again, nor have I bought any products locally since this whole thing came to light. VIVA CRC!

Now for the next target - companies denying gaurantees because of modifications that have nothing to do with the initial failure of the product.

Examples:

1)Paint your frame and lose your gaurantee*

2)Drill a drainage hole in your BB shell to increase the life of BB bearings and lose your gaurantee.

3)File out your cable stops to create space for continuous cable housing.

All of the above practices are legitimate upgrades to frames for which the distributors penalise you.

* I understand that removing paint by sanding on some frames that are shot-peened could structurally affect the frame. However, chemical removal will not jeapordise the frame's integrity and approved painters should be allowed to paint frames.

Johan to add to the frame modding issues, how about user manuals saying that any off-road riding or the like voids the warantee, has anyone had issues with that ?

Johan to add to the frame modding issues, how about user manuals saying that any off-road riding or the like voids the warantee, has anyone had issues with that ?

LOL, that is so true.