'Bicycle prices fixed'

gummibear

My LBS - Cycle Fix in Pretoria East is not one- JIPPIIIIEEE

Well done it Wimpie!!

Still belief they are the best!!!!

Yep me too. Also glad Hatfield cycles not on list. The others nearby on the list i did not like anyways for other reasons.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the IT industry we work with margins between 5% and 25% generally so w.t.f

Good riddance, too bad my Local BS is on that retailler list

I would give some of those on the list a chance as they have been implicated by association rather than having actively participated but ja as usual for the 'ubbers 'go for the jugular'!

Markups of 35-50% are normal for retail. LBS's have a tough time with high rentals, etc. and like other retailers are subject to the same pressure other retailers face, i.e. large chainstores or internet sales sites like CRC will always kill them on price. The problem I think lies with the distributors....they are buying components direct from source and are either importing inefficiently, or over pricing their goods (they do after all have a hold on the market if they are sole distributors).

In the motorcycle industry we make less on a R100 000 motorcycle than a cycle store makes on a R25K bicycle.

Markups of 35-50% are normal for retail.

and what about the 35-50% the agent makes? By the time the product gets to the end user it is double the price it landed.

So who in the Edenvale/Bedfordview area is not involved - now going to have to support another LBS :angry:

I have a feeling a lot of this has quietly been fixed already (bicycle prices appear to have dropped considerably in the last few months). This could be due to pressure from this investigation, poor economy (doubtful) or the fact that they shot themselves in the foot by pushing up prices as CRC became a major player in the SA market thus giving ppl even more incentive to spend their money abroad. It is a nice change to see names being published together with a detailed report after what appears to have been a proper investigation, very unlike SA!

10% of annual turnover is a lot more than a slap on the wrist though so I presume there was some serious money involved in this issue.

the omnico ( oBike ) sale comes to mind

It's not about whether the mark up is 35% or 50% or whatever... The problem is that the mark up is the same at all the LBS'. Whenever you phone around for prices, every shop gives you exactley the same price and that's the problem! There's no competition. If all the LBS' were competing for the best price, surely markups (and prices) will be different from LBS to LBS. In order to get there you need someone to drop their markup to 25% and the rest will follow.

So who in the Edenvale/Bedfordview area is not involved - now going to have to support another LBS :angry:

Tony Impey Cycles in The Bedford Centre...

Good service, well priced

We'll have to use Tony Impey then..... Were you also a Johnson's customer? I noticed their prices droppeddramatically the last 6 months.

Guest Big H

Did I read something about Yellow Saddles..... well done!!!!!! Also Bouwer broers my LBS is not there ..... well done.

All of them in Gangters' Paradise, are they? If it's your LBS, why not ask, "So my chawna, like, whatchoo doin 'bout this like comptishuns bawd thing like? Like aw you like cutting yaw prisis aw what, hey? OK, so, like remember, I'm watching yew" Then they'll know you know, and can't bullsh!t you.

Edd Zachary!

Yeesh guys come on, at least government acted and they were caught and (will be) punished.

Not much more that can be done from government side.

Free choice is in your hands.

You dont have to support the guys that's guilty, shop at CRC like the rest of us... ;)

Oh an just because your LBS is not on the list does not mean they don't join in, it just means that they have not been implicated yet.