Lance announces his retirement.....

Guest Big H

Bottom line....Whether we like him or not, he has contributed a major deal to cycling and has become a household name worldwide. 7 TDF wins behind his name and a comeback after almost 3 years and still finishes 3rd. Lets see another cyclist beat that or even come CLOSE!!.

As for his retirement (true or not true), he still has the opportunity to manage and lead Team RadioShack into the future with all his experience.

The 7 TDF wins are possible to achieve. Pundits; thought that 5 was impossible, a couple of decades ago.

But I agree with you on the 3 years retirement comment......those with a brain, know when to retire, those that are punch drunk ; don't.

Lance should have done us all a favour and himself and stayed retired.

PS

Then looking at your 7 wins statement again....I agree with you actually, you are right. 7 wins will not be equalled unless, you dope.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think he wants to focus more on his armband business.

thats what i was told, he is going to include a tiny mirror and call it a PowerLance

The 7 TDF wins are possible to achieve. Pundits; thought that 5 was impossible, a couple of decades ago.

But I agree with you on the 3 years retirement comment......those with a brain, know when to retire, those that are punch drunk ; don't.

Lance should have done us all a favour and himself and stayed retired.

A quote from an article written in 2008...

"Armstrong, who turns 37 on Sept. 18, came back to cycling in 1998 after recovering from testicular cancer that spread to his brain and lungs. He won the Tour de France, the sport's most prestigious race, for a record seventh straight time in 2005. The Austin, Texas, resident's statement said he's returning ``to raise awareness of the global cancer burden.''

``This year alone nearly 8 million people will die of cancer,'' he said. ``It's now time to address cancer on a global level.'' "

Done us all a favour you say? I think not...

Pitty Lance was not able to get the Hour record. If he really is/was so hot, he would have gone for this ultimate race of truth.

PS

Then looking at your 7 wins statement again....I agree with you actually, you are right. 7 wins will not be equalled unless, you dope.

Ok, so his an Asshole!!... people will always find fault when greatness is achieved in anything in life. DOPE, MECHANICAL BIKE and so on.

BTW: I always say 'Never argue with an IDIOT, you'll come out on the loosing end ALWAYS'

If you did not get the message from other posts, there are other grand tours besides the TdF and Contador has won all of the 3 grand tours something that I doubt la will accomplish. The Giro is also arguably a more difficult race than the TdF, it is just not as well marketed.

i also love the statement that the LAD's love to use that he is the most tested athlete - B*llocks!! At one stage Marion Jones was tested way more than la and as much as she denied using PED's we know what happened to her.

I also wondered about that...

Right now Armstrong is the one with the records - Contador only has the potential to break Lance's records...

Winning all three grand tours - tour, giro vuelta

He is only retiring so that he can focus on his preparations for the 2011 Cape Epic...

I will go with that... but since he 'might' retire and not do the epic, will the entry fee go down? who knows.

Winning all three grand tours - tour, giro vuelta

I would take this:

Tour de France

General Classification

(1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005)

22 Individual Stages

World Cycling Champion (1993)

Over this:

Tour de France

General classification (2007, 2009)

Young rider classification (2007)

3 individual stages, 1 TTT stage (2007, 2009)

Vuelta a España

General classification (2008)

Combination classification (2008)

2 individual stages (2008)

Giro d'Italia

Any day of the week.

There is no doubt that Contador is a great cyclist - perhaps even a better all round rider than Lance (Conty has a fine list of one day wins as well) but right now Contador is only 1/2 of a Lance Armstrong in terms of records.

It should be fun seeing if Conty can match "the man".

I would pay good coin to see Lance in his prime up against the current ALberto...

I would take this:

Tour de France

General Classification

(1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005)

22 Individual Stages

World Cycling Champion (1993)

Over this:

Tour de France

General classification (2007, 2009)

Young rider classification (2007)

3 individual stages, 1 TTT stage (2007, 2009)

Vuelta a España

Combination classification (2008)

2 individual stages (2008)

Giro d'Italia

Any day of the week.

There is no doubt that Contador is a great cyclist - perhaps even a better all round rider than Lance (Conty has a fine list of one day wins as well) but right now Contador is only 1/2 of a Lance Armstrong in terms of records.

It should be fun seeing if Conty can match "the man".

I would pay good coin to see Lance in his prime up against the current ALberto...

You're comparing Armstrong's acheivements over 13 years to Contador's achievements over three, or at least seven years since his first comeback. So Contador has four grand tours over three years whereas Armstrong has seven over seven. If Contador is only 1/2 of Armstrong in terms of records its only because he's only had half the time Armstrong had.

Perhaps we should put the comparisons on hold for another four years? ;)

Good grief, is that true.?

I was also shocked when I read it. Read Pg 58 of the May/June Bicycling mag. I was really disgusted, considering this was a charity event and not an appearance fee for a huge race.

Like him or not the guy can ride a bike...and he does it pretty well to.I don't think there is anyone here on the Hub that will stay with him on a TT.If you can then i guess you can dis him :)

Saxo bank get my support for Tdf.

I was also shocked when I read it. Read Pg 58 of the May/June Bicycling mag. I was really disgusted, considering this was a charity event and not an appearance fee for a huge race.

What do you think some of the Wags are getting paid just to sit at the WC?That will make you sick.

Guest Anon(yMous)

thats what i was told, he is going to include a tiny mirror and call it a PowerLance

The B Lance version? :D