Lance announces his retirement.....

Guest Big H

Like him or not the guy can ride a bike...and he does it pretty well to.I don't think there is anyone here on the Hub that will stay with him on a TT.If you can then i guess you can dis him :)

Saxo bank get my support for Tdf.

Who made the rule that you can't dis someone if you can't beat him, thats just silly. If a guys a dick, well then he's a dick regardless of his credentials.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anon(yMous)

Who made the rule that you can't dis someone if you can't beat him, thats just silly. If a guys a dick, well then he's a dick regardless of his credentials.

He might be a dicks, but

he can cycle (and do everything that goes with that) better than most

he knows how to market himself

he raised the profile of cancer awareness

oh.... and...

small dicks will always be envious of big dicks :D

...and I heard him say afterwards that he only pedalled with his left leg :P

You sure he didn't say he only uses his left one?

You're comparing Armstrong's acheivements over 13 years to Contador's achievements over three, or at least seven years since his first comeback. So Contador has four grand tours over three years whereas Armstrong has seven over seven. If Contador is only 1/2 of Armstrong in terms of records its only because he's only had half the time Armstrong had.

Perhaps we should put the comparisons on hold for another four years? ;)

Contador is 28 years old. When LA got his first Tour win when he was 28: AC is already two ahead...

First to win nine Tours?

Guest Anon(yMous)

Will Contador will have to go for triplets then as well?

Guest Big H

I sincerely hope you have credentials!!!!!!!!!..... maybe only one will do??????

I live in Nigeria and I can arrange you a bag with 144 credentials at a verrry verrrry low price!!!!!!!!

He is only retiring so that he can focus on his preparations for the 2011 Cape Epic...

He needs time to convince Burry to ride with him :lol:

:unsure:

Maybe, ..... or maybe he wants to focus on trying to win the argus.....

You're comparing Armstrong's acheivements over 13 years to Contador's achievements over three, or at least seven years since his first comeback. So Contador has four grand tours over three years whereas Armstrong has seven over seven. If Contador is only 1/2 of Armstrong in terms of records its only because he's only had half the time Armstrong had.

Perhaps we should put the comparisons on hold for another four years? ;)

Thats the fun thing about records - they are records - meaning they have already been achieved. Conty could crack a knee tomorrow and not achieve another thing. Ever.

Like I said Contador is only half a Lance right now - he may (and probably does) have the ability to eclipse Lance's records but right here and right now Contador is only half a Lance.

Winning 7 TdF's is no mean feat taking only physical ability into account - taking all factors into account (crashing, injury, illness, weak team, sponsors etc) it's close to impossible.

In terms of Grand Tours I'd take 1 TdF win over 10 Giro/Vuelta wins any day. Giro/Vuelta is like kissing your sister - sure it counts as a kiss but urgh.

Whatever happens and whoever wins I am looking forward to this years TdF. Being 37 and racing kids half my age on XC courses means I obviously identify more with Lance that Alberto ;-)

2 years ago I would have hated this statement but "GO LANCE". Dick or not.

Winning 7 TdF's is no mean feat taking only physical ability into account - taking all factors into account (crashing, injury, illness, weak team, sponsors etc) it's close to impossible.

No its not, but records are also not permanent and you cant project them forward,its a little unfair to expect Contador to be where LA is / was when he has only had half the time to achieve it.

Take the 4 minute mile, when Bannister did it we all went "wow" - now its common place, Bruce Fordyce held the record for a Comrades downrun for 11 years, I think its now broken twice - its unlikely LA's record will stand forever,or even very long, someone else will come along, obliterate it and win 10 tours -there will be cries of the course is easier / harder / longer / shorter, the team had better wheels / tyres / doctors now than then, but its all a moot point.........the fact is records are not unbeatable, but they are time constrained - maybe 'Berto is the guy to do it.?

Take the 4 minute mile, when Bannister did it we all went "wow"

I see where you get the Old bit, GrumpyOldGuy.

:)

No its not, but records are also not permanent and you cant project them forward,its a little unfair to expect Contador to be where LA is / was when he has only had half the time to achieve it.

Take the 4 minute mile, when Bannister did it we all went "wow" - now its common place, Bruce Fordyce held the record for a Comrades downrun for 11 years, I think its now broken twice - its unlikely LA's record will stand forever,or even very long, someone else will come along, obliterate it and win 10 tours -there will be cries of the course is easier / harder / longer / shorter, the team had better wheels / tyres / doctors now than then, but its all a moot point.........the fact is records are not unbeatable, but they are time constrained - maybe 'Berto is the guy to do it.?

Absolutely, records can be beaten. So lets see who can win the TDF 7 TIMES IN A ROW!!. I repeat that, 7 WINS IN A ROW. . I doubt very much.

In terms of Grand Tours I'd take 1 TdF win over 10 Giro/Vuelta wins any day. Giro/Vuelta is like kissing your sister - sure it counts as a kiss but urgh.

Just want to check your theory - Why, in your opinion, are the Giro and the Vuelta not worth as much as the TdF? Because they are easier than the TdF or not as popular as the TdF or because la never won one or because "supply your reason here".

Also using your theory, may I assume that Eddy Merckx was a crap cyclist because he only won 5 x TdF?

Guest Big H

Just want to check your theory - Why, in your opinion, are the Giro and the Vuelta not worth as much as the TdF? Because they are easier than the TdF or not as popular as the TdF or because la never won one or because "supply your reason here".

Also using your theory, may I assume that Eddy Merckx was a crap cyclist because he only won 5 x TdF?

Eldron..... prepare yourself for a long senseless debate where only his views will really count and you will be asked countless questions.

Eldron..... prepare yourself for a long senseless debate where only his views will really count and you will be asked countless questions.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love this!!

Anyway, it's not about better, harder or whatever... It's about Lance winning the TdF 7 straight times. Once Contador gets there, we can start comparing... until then it's all just speculation.

@grumpy - I'll have to disagree - Contador won in 2007 and 2009 but missed 2008 because Astana was barred. Thats what I mean by "factors outside of ability". It took nearly 100 years for Lance to get 7 - I don't see that feat being achieved anytime soon.

@E1A104 - dude. Eddie a crap cyclist? C'mon man everyone knows Eddie is the best cyclists in the world. Ever. As for the Giro/Vuelta versus TdF - the TdF is the most prestigious race that EVERYONE wants to win. The Giro/Vuelta never attract as many of the top ranked pros as the TdF meaning that competition is lowered and the prestige of winning is reduced.

Do you ever see cyclists complaining that they didn't make the Giro/Vuelta squad? But they whine like children when they don't make the TdF squad. Bigger audiences at the TdF, better marketing, bigger prize money - the list is endless.

Hell, even the UCI agrees that the TdF is bigger.... 200 points for winning the TdF - only 170 for the Giro and Vuelta

Any other questions?

Is there something wrong with asking questions? Was curious to see why Eldron thinks TdF wins are better than a win at the Giro or the Vuelta.

@ Squier. Agree the Contador still has to match that record of 7 TdF wins, but he could conceivably still do it. The point I was tring to make is that the TdF is not the only Grand Tour and that Contador has already achieved a record that lance never will. I wonder if people would dismiss the other tours as "insignifigant" if la had one a few of them?