Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

Hi there,

I purchased a second hand Specialized Roubaix 56cm off eBay for £700. Worked out to R11853. What can I expect to pay in customs/duties (excluding my shipping fee).

Many thanks,

Matt

Edited by matthewproctor

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i was just about to purchase bib shorts  - a pair going at bikeinn for R1300 that a local bike store are selling for R3200.......I see this regarding import duties - really!?

Cycling shorts (classified as clothing): 45%

If I factor in the above DHL delivery charge of R800 it still comes in at R2685 which is R500 saving?

Do you pay import duties on a indoor trainer ?

Nope - they are considered to be a cycling component/part, and do not attract import duties. You will however have to pay 14% VAT.

Edited by Origin Cyclery

Hi,

Customs for a complete bike is 15% customs duty and 14% vat, but are the %'s before or after discount?

Thanks for the assistance. :thumbup:  

Hi,

Customs for a complete bike is 15% customs duty and 14% vat, but are the %'s before or after discount?

Thanks for the assistance. :thumbup:  

There's an example calculation in the very first post.

Question,

I have a package coming in from the US via USPS, 

Their tracking says it's been with customs for the last 8 days, as related to their tracking number.

Wondering how I can determine the local ZA side tracking number... sure there would be one, as I'm too pay duties.

And then how to track it...

G

Question,

I have a package coming in from the US via USPS, 

Their tracking says it's been with customs for the last 8 days, as related to their tracking number.

Wondering how I can determine the local ZA side tracking number... sure there would be one, as I'm too pay duties.

And then how to track it...

G

hit this link with the USPS tracking number. The local tracking number should be displayed as well, *IF* the USPS number was registered by EMS/SAPO. All my USPS shipped items were delivered via EMS or to my local PO, so it should show up on their tracking service once its registered. Some times, most times, you just have to wait till it registers :/

Edited by Capricorn

Thanks

It says my parcel is lying at the Germiston Hub.

G

hit this link with the USPS tracking number. The local tracking number should be displayed as well, *IF* the USPS number was registered by EMS/SAPO. All my USPS shipped items were delivered via EMS or to my local PO, so it should show up on their tracking service once its registered. Some times, most times, you just have to wait till it registers :/

so it seems even though tracking says it is lying at Germiston hub it was actually at the post office locally waiting...

Cyclewizz suggest you go and ask them, good chance it's waiting for you.

G

Mine has been there since the 21st Feb.

They might be making friends as they going to the same neighbourhood 

Droooool

... busy reading the owners guide, damm this is clever designed product, same hub body front for standard 100x15mm and lefty hubs, just the bits that get added that changes the configuration. Future proofing the product for clients. Makes spending this amount of money so much palatable...

G

so it seems even though tracking says it is lying at Germiston hub it was actually at the post office locally waiting...

Cyclewizz suggest you go and ask them, good chance it's waiting for you.

G

post-25762-0-93923300-1488812655_thumb.jpg

post-25762-0-97943000-1488812672_thumb.jpg

post-25762-0-31815800-1488812684_thumb.jpg

post-25762-0-94504700-1488812727_thumb.jpg

Edited by awesme

Hi there,

I purchased a second hand Specialized Roubaix 56cm off eBay for £700. Worked out to R11853. What can I expect to pay in customs/duties (excluding my shipping fee).

Many thanks,

Matt

2nd hand items need an import permit from ITAC.