Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

I am looking at purchasing the Vitus Energie Carbon CR Rival from CRC. (Looks like a very good deal!)

I see the cost to deliver to SA is 200 pounds more from delivering to UK. From the above advice I can then add another +- 35% for customs, VAT and duties.

That totals to an additional R11 000. Am I better off just to fly to the UK for less and bring back my 'used' bike.

Coming from the UK, I would incur no other real costs!

Why not just import the frame, parts and wheels seperately in one order then you will only pay 16.5% vat and a handling fee. Build it the way you like it.

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I am wanting to bring in a whole bike. I know that the charges work out to just under 35% with the duties/VAT etc.

My question is around the shipping charges, do you get charged anything on that? Airfreighting a bike is quite an expensive exercise and I certainly don't want to pay 35% extra on that charge.

Anyone know?

Cheers

I am wanting to bring in a whole bike. I know that the charges work out to just under 35% with the duties/VAT etc.

My question is around the shipping charges, do you get charged anything on that? Airfreighting a bike is quite an expensive exercise and I certainly don't want to pay 35% extra on that charge.

Anyone know?

Cheers

I asked the same question a while back to Deon Muller at Cape Mail.  There are no extra costs in SA for the shipping

Anyone know?

Cheers

No, you won't get charged VAT or duties on the shipping cost.

Another question for the educated international spenders.

I have found the bike I want, but the bikeshop in Europe doesn't want to let me pay by credit card or PayPal due to the charges they incur.

I have queried the international EFT route with ABSA, but it requires a once off importers permit or some reserve bank permission (I can't remember details, they lost me at paperwork)

Does anyone know how to make this happen? What the options are? Possible out the box solutions.

Thanks again

To be honest, if they do not accept PayPal or CC, then it sounds like they want to scam you out of your money.

With the mentioned methods of paying, the transaction can be stopped and retracted, if the transaction is fraudulent. With EFT its gone.

Another question for the educated international spenders.

I have found the bike I want, but the bikeshop in Europe doesn't want to let me pay by credit card or PayPal due to the charges they incur.

I have queried the international EFT route with ABSA, but it requires a once off importers permit or some reserve bank permission (I can't remember details, they lost me at paperwork)

Does anyone know how to make this happen? What the options are? Possible out the box solutions.

Thanks again

which bike  shop is this? that's abit unusual. Only once have I come across a company that didn't offer credit card or paypal payment options, instead opting for SWIFT (urrgh, such a PITA via ABSA).

Edited by Capricorn

which bike  shop is this? that's very unusual.

They let me pay the deposit by PayPal, but they get hit 5% of the amount in charges.

Its a large store in Italy and is legit, I think because they are doing me a really good deal there margin is probably pretty tight so they trying to make as much out of it as possible which I can understand and if it wasn't such a mission I would do the EFT route. But I really don't feel like fighting for a month to get the right paperwork in place.

That's why I'm querying if anyone has any bright ideas on how to do this and reduce the charges?

They let me pay the deposit by PayPal, but they get hit 5% of the amount in charges.

Its a large store in Italy and is legit, I think because they are doing me a really good deal there margin is probably pretty tight so they trying to make as much out of it as possible which I can understand and if it wasn't such a mission I would do the EFT route. But I really don't feel like fighting for a month to get the right paperwork in place.

That's why I'm querying if anyone has any bright ideas on how to do this and reduce the charges?

ok cool. funnily enough, that one company that uses swift was also Italian. They have to be so difficult :P,it's like needing to take out a radiator just to change a fan belt on an alfa...oh wait... :whistling:

• 1 month later...

Anyone know if there will be any extra costs duties / VAT on a fork and dropper post? Want to buy from CRC maybe. Thanks! :clap:

• 3 weeks later...

sorry if this is the wrong thread , but has anyone sold A bike internationally ? 

got an american keen , but how do i secure the money and how the hell do i ship it to him ?

sorry if this is the wrong thread , but has anyone sold A bike internationally ?

got an american keen , but how do i secure the money and how the hell do i ship it to him ?

Hi BaGearA

Make sure it is not a scam of sort, I’ve had it before where people for overseas want to buy your item after advertising on OLX, Gumtree etc. The potential buyer wants to make use of PayPal and a “shipping agent.”

I’ve never ended up doing one of these deals because I always got had a bad feeling about them.

Hi BaGearA

Make sure it is not a scam of sort, I’ve had it before where people for overseas want to buy your item after advertising on OLX, Gumtree etc. The potential buyer wants to make use of PayPal and a “shipping agent.”

I’ve never ended up doing one of these deals because I always got had a bad feeling about them.

he's legit (confirmed )