Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

15 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Aliexpress is another service provider, like Wish is too.

Buffalo just happens to have setup a warehouse in SA, to avoid going through the local SAPO. It’s a little more value add compared to Wish and AliExpress.

Sorry I am confused now. Is Buffalo a courier option to select while still buying stuff on AliExpress or a shop / online market like AliExpress?

Currently I use Aramex Global shopper for my AliExpress purchases. 

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Mongoose! said:

Sorry I am confused now. Is Buffalo a courier option to select while still buying stuff on AliExpress or a shop / online market like AliExpress?

Currently I use Aramex Global shopper for my AliExpress purchases. 

I’m not 100% sure, but in the article shared, they are a local logistics company that has setup a warehouse for companies like Shein, Wish and AliExpress. They import in bulk, and if you order on the app, and it’s in stock you will get it quicker than importing from China. But you still use the original Chinese shopping apps.

They must have some sort of movement history to determine what to keep, as I’m sure they won’t keep everything locally.

On 1/24/2023 at 12:32 PM, devvydoesdonuts said:

Hi Guys,

I would like to find out, for those who have imported some stuff and it has gone through the absolutely fantastic service delivery of our beloved SAPO, do any of you know what it means when there is an exception on your parcel? I have tried to contact them but we all know how difficult that is. 

I been waiting for this for a very long time, also stuck somewhere in SAPO.  Its a warranty replacement X-Cadey power-meter 🙈.

I sent an email to them, this was the response 🤦‍♂️:

"Good day Theo Grové,

LF060182124SG – dispatched to Alberton North GPO since 29/06/2023, in process for delivery delayed due operational reasons - more details will be provided as soon as a dispatch is available.

Kind Regards,
Eugenia Nobuhle Kekana

Eugenia.Kekana@postoffice.co.za
Customer Services 
South African Post Office SOC Limited
Landline: 0860 111 502"

image.png.789870b2fa09ff76c380128af86c8ba3.png

20 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I been waiting for this for a very long time, also stuck somewhere in SAPO.  Its a warranty replacement X-Cadey power-meter 🙈.

I sent an email to them, this was the response 🤦‍♂️:

"Good day Theo Grové,

LF060182124SG – dispatched to Alberton North GPO since 29/06/2023, in process for delivery delayed due operational reasons - more details will be provided as soon as a dispatch is available.

Kind Regards,
Eugenia Nobuhle Kekana

Eugenia.Kekana@postoffice.co.za
Customer Services 
South African Post Office SOC Limited
Landline: 0860 111 502"

image.png.789870b2fa09ff76c380128af86c8ba3.png

It is absolutely shocking that our postal service is like this, meanwhile my grandparents in Madeira receive cheques in their post still😂

16 minutes ago, devvydoesdonuts said:

It is absolutely shocking that our postal service is like this, meanwhile my grandparents in Madeira receive cheques in their post still😂

Unfortunately I cant think of a single government connected institution that actually function efficiently 😪.

1 minute ago, Cal Naughton Jr. said:

SARS

Off course, the one that secure their income .... 🙈

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I’m not 100% sure, but in the article shared, they are a local logistics company that has setup a warehouse for companies like Shein, Wish and AliExpress. They import in bulk, and if you order on the app, and it’s in stock you will get it quicker than importing from China. But you still use the original Chinese shopping apps.

They must have some sort of movement history to determine what to keep, as I’m sure they won’t keep everything locally.

Yeah. So my question was basically how do i use Buffalo if i want to ship something from Aliexpress?

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

My guess is that some of the direct to customer chinese bike companies would be using this. so wondering if anyone had experience with it.... and therefore new options for us

6 hours ago, TheoG said:

Unfortunately I cant think of a single government connected institution that actually function efficiently 😪.

The department that lines their pockets works like a charm.

5 hours ago, Shebeen said:

My guess is that some of the direct to customer chinese bike companies would be using this. so wondering if anyone had experience with it.... and therefore new options for us

The wife has ordered dance costumes (on Shein) for my daughters. I’m not complaining that it’s cheap, as they buy more costumes that I buy anything bike-related, but the quality is really poor. A couple washes and it’s lost it’s shape. The waybill was Buffalo.

Edited by Frosty

• 2 weeks later...

Do you get a refund on import duty/tax when returning an item to overseas supplier? I will ask DHL as well, but just wondering if anyone have personal experience/knowledge of this.

Thanks

1 hour ago, PowerB said:

Do you get a refund on import duty/tax when returning an item to overseas supplier? I will ask DHL as well, but just wondering if anyone have personal experience/knowledge of this.

Thanks

You would need to advise DHL that it’s coming back again. Box/Field 37 on the SAD500 form is the Customs Procedure Code (CPC). The code used cab be 2100 (temporary export for processing or repair). You have 3 years to reimport something.

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2023 at 1:45 PM, peevee said:

The SARS tariffs are on the Customs & Excise Tariffs doc below split per region of origin under the "Rate of Duty" heading.

Bikes: 8712.00.10

Frames, forks & parts thereof: 8714.91

Wheel rims & spokes: 8714.92

Hubs, brakes, saddles, pedals, crank gear & parts thereof, other: 8714.93-99

Cycling shoes: 6403.19.04

Helmets: 6506.10.90

Clothing: Covered under Chapter 62 from page 409.

VAT is calculated at 15% of the Added Tax Value (ATV)

ATV = Customs Value (CV = Foreign price x SARS FX rate), plus duty levied, plus 10% of CV

VAT = 15% x [((price x FX rate) x (1 +10%)) + Duty]

Sometimes the courier adds on a fixed admin fee for settling the VAT & duties on your behalf.

Customs Excise Duty_Cycling Related Items_23.12.2022.pdf 166.56 kB · 33 downloads

Thanks, based on this, would electronic groupsets attract ZERO customs duty?

1 hour ago, TCTG said:

Thanks, based on this, would electronic groupsets attract ZERO customs duty?

Yes. However the only brand you can import is Campagnolo. Doubt you will be able to find a retailer willing to ship Sram or Shimano due to territory restrictions. 

On 9/18/2023 at 9:03 PM, Bub Marley said:

Yes. However the only brand you can import is Campagnolo. Doubt you will be able to find a retailer willing to ship Sram or Shimano due to territory restrictions. 

I think Merlin will send Sram and Shimano. Have not tried them yet though.