Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

In addition to what Morne said, it you pay for a medical aid 100% you will be able to get a refund. Companies are allowed to deduct 50% from your taxable income, upfront, each month.

If you (OP) say last year, are you referring to the tax period that ended 28/02/2023 or 28/02/2022? 

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Frosty said:

In addition to what Morne said, it you pay for a medical aid 100% you will be able to get a refund. Companies are allowed to deduct 50% from your taxable income, upfront, each month.

If you (OP) say last year, are you referring to the tax period that ended 28/02/2023 or 28/02/2022? 

Yes 

So do i submit this on the efilling thing or have Finance at the office do it ? 

55 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Yes 

So do i submit this on the efilling thing or have Finance at the office do it ? 

What are you answering yes to?

If your company contributes to medical aid, they will apply the allowable tax deduction; nothing required for you to do. When the tax filing season opens next month, you will see the tax certificate pre-loaded on your return when you generate it (whether the company contributes or not). There’s very little us plebs have to do w.r.t. filing tax returns, each year. 

25 minutes ago, Frosty said:

What are you answering yes to?

If your company contributes to medical aid, they will apply the allowable tax deduction; nothing required for you to do. When the tax filing season opens next month, you will see the tax certificate pre-loaded on your return when you generate it (whether the company contributes or not). There’s very little us plebs have to do w.r.t. filing tax returns, each year. 

No I pay for the medical aid myself.

7 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

No I pay for the medical aid myself.

As this is the import thread, I would suggest moving over to the SARS thread.

Tax season opens on 1 July, so there will be a number of fellow Hubbers that can help you from that date forward.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone a family member wants to send an old bike of there's from the UK to south africa using DHL. I just want to find out if there's costs I should be aware of should they send it 

51 minutes ago, brandonlee11@gmail.com said:

Hi everyone a family member wants to send an old bike of there's from the UK to south africa using DHL. I just want to find out if there's costs I should be aware of should they send it 

If it is an old bile, it is cheaper to buy one in SA than send one from UK to SA with DHL 

6 hours ago, Baron said:

If it is an old bile, it is cheaper to buy one in SA than send one from UK to SA with DHL 

Are you saying this cause of the cost of DHL or the costs once it gets here 

3 hours ago, brandonlee11@gmail.com said:

Are you saying this cause of the cost of DHL or the costs once it gets here 

DHL quote about 450 ponds from UK to SA about R 10 500.00 to R 12 000.00. then there is some additional cost at customs and an admin fee.

12 minutes ago, Baron said:

DHL quote about 450 ponds from UK to SA about R 10 500.00 to R 12 000.00. then there is some additional cost at customs and an admin fee.

Ah okay thank you 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll admit i was sceptic too, but my wife and sister use Shein / buffalo. Super efficient.  Also, Most everything you wear is ‘cheap chinese k@k’ these days. Buy it just without a branded label sewn in the collar and for less than half - im down with that, especially for kids clothing. And these lot mustn’t  come with local blah blah, yes some of the clothing is locally made but literally only a drop in the ocean of stuff out there. They all bring in product and put truworths, markhams, mr price, labels on it. 

also, just brought in another cycling order from the UK. If local is more expensive than oversees full retail + VAT + UPS/DHL shipping….local can suck a bag of d1cks imo. And then sone of them cant even get your stuff to you within 3 days from the GP to WC when you can order something half a planet away and land it in front of your door in 2 days🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by MORNE

4 hours ago, MORNE said:

I’ll admit i was sceptic too, but my wife and sister use Shein / buffalo. Super efficient.  Also, Most everything you wear is ‘cheap chinese k@k’ these days. Buy it just without a branded label sewn in the collar and for less than half - im down with that, especially for kids clothing. And these lot mustn’t  come with local blah blah, yes some of the clothing is locally made but literally only a drop in the ocean of stuff out there. They all bring in product and put truworths, markhams, mr price, labels on it. 

also, just brought in another cycling order from the UK. If local is more expensive than oversees full retail + VAT + UPS/DHL shipping….local can suck a bag of d1cks imo. And then sone of them cant even get your stuff to you within 3 days from the GP to WC when you can order something half a planet away and land it in front of your door in 2 days🤷🏻‍♂️

the "support local" thing is so badly rolled out as a marketing pitch. That is an argument that only holds water for something like rooibos or biltong*. If your bike shop is selling a Srimano widget he is adding no real value to the supply chain. The widget comes from the factory in Japan, no matter which network of third parties gets it to your garage it is the same widget. The most efficient one will win, either on price/convenience.  

The only way "buying local" in this case makes more sense is:

a)you want it RIGHT NOW and it is available

b)there is value in a warranty/local backup

c)the LBS adds value in advice

d)the LBS relationship is one you want to invest money in.

*incidentally you can get decent cycling (and other) clothing locally made, if that's where you want some feelgood factor

How does this actually work? If you buy on the shein website does it automatically ship via Buffalo?

And what about Aliexpress?

39 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

How does this actually work? If you buy on the shein website does it automatically ship via Buffalo?

And what about Aliexpress?

Aliexpress is another service provider, like Wish is too.

Buffalo just happens to have setup a warehouse in SA, to avoid going through the local SAPO. It’s a little more value add compared to Wish and AliExpress.