Import duties on cycling goods

Capricorn

So In other words if I buy the frame and parts separately I just pay the VAT portion? Whereas a whole bike would cost me an additional 15%?

Yes, assuming everything is from Europe. I don't know what the duties are from other countries/continents.

As far as the Importers code goes, that's also pretty hit and miss. I don't think they police it too closely. My first Canyon was above the R50k limit and imported that on my ID number no problem. Already had an importers code when I bought the second one though.

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Duties are based on the country of origin and not where it is ordered, eg. Made in China but shipped from CRC (EU).

A bicycle made in Europe, with a EUR1 certificate of origin, will not be liable for duties. However, many components might be made in the East (eg. groupset) but the frame is made in, say Italy, then it will be liable for duties.

Below is the tariff heading for bicycles.

fe1f42d1b1c92397193cf6015a66691c.jpg

As you can see, the parts are all duty free, so is always safer to go the component route and build it here.

488378aa1438e2ab82c151217746e4f0.jpg

You can get the full tariff book here:

https://www.sars.gov.za/wp-content/uploads/Legal/SCEA1964/LAPD-LPrim-Tariff-2012-04-Schedule-No-1-Part-1-Chapters-1-to-99.pdf

Anyone know what the total import fees would be on a set of wheels at the moment?

Don't use Aramex global shopper.

I ordered mtb frames from Taiwan and opted for my AGS option.

They sent it to the wrong place twice.

The Aramex bill was 80% of what I paid for my merchandise. They were useless.

They didn't even open the commercial invoice which is always taped to the package anyways.

Very disappointed with Aramex

They didn't even open the commercial invoice which is always taped to the package anyways.

They took a month to get a parcel to me from the UK.

If you use aramex you pay double VAT. Once in the country of origin and again when it hits SA. And countries VAT amounts differ. Most of the eu is around 20%. Most online stores remove local tax when you state you want to ship to SA. You’ll see the amount go up if you want to ship it to the country in which the shop is located ( basically how you use aramex). Aarsmex is still worth it in certsin instances - also a good way to bypass sram an shimano geoblocking. The rest of the money that makes up a aramex bill is their courier and handeling fees. Depending on the shipment, store etc...UPS or DHL will charge you R500-1000 in shipping fees before handeling fees are applied, which as already stated...can be up to 15% ontop of VAT etc. Thats the fee you pay them to go stand in line at customs and fill out paperwork to clear your crap on your behalf. It is possible to do it yourself but almost not worth the effort, they prioritise the couriers

Edited by MORNE

DHL express also greatly improved their whole process in the last year or so. I recently received soem goods from OZ and the whole phone/ID/duty payment process is now fully online. You used to have to deal with a incompetent person over the phone doing all that. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

What would the tariff be for importing an indoor trainer from Europe?

This guy is in Europe, and I am sure he will come to South Africa if the price is right ... benefit is that he can also train you outdoors if you wish! ????

Fitness Instructor Certificate - European Personal Training Institute

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/21/2021 at 7:24 AM, Bub Marley said:

What would the tariff be for importing an indoor trainer from Europe?

Would be interested in answer to ☝️.

Trainers: Equipment for general exercise use, excluding whatever is listed in the category.

Download the tariff book, and you can search for whatever you need.
https://www.sars.gov.za/wp-content/uploads/Legal/SCEA1964/LAPD-LPrim-Tariff-2012-04-Schedule-No-1-Part-1-Chapters-1-to-99.pdf

Page 678
9506.9-Other:
9506.912- -Articles and equipment for general physical exercise, gymnastics or athletics 

FREE, aka mohala

9 minutes ago, samson99 said:

Anyone know the tariff on a hydration pack?

Tariff heading 42.02
The entire chapter is 20-30% depending where it comes from.

Bulk of products originate from China, so my guess is 30%.

8 minutes ago, Frosty said:

FREE, aka mohala

Sounds too good to be true. 🙈

Thanks. 👍

I can't remember which category bike computers fit into.

• Wrist watches (page 654) is 0%
  • Chapter 95 is for all sport and toys, and it's not covered there.

4 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Sounds too good to be true. 🙈

Thanks. 👍

Sometimes it is to good to be true.

If you can, ask the shop you're buying from what HS-code they use on their shipping.
It's the same worldwide, and they will print it on your invoice (for custom clearance purposes).
Then check locally and see what the price is. The shipping, handling fees and ATV (customs VAT) sometimes results in a similar price locally.