What does our pro earn?

wheels

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

between 3000 and 8000 pm unless your name is robbie hunter or john lee

Kevin Evans is the highest paid mountain bike pro and I can assure you that your numbers are way too low. Malcolm is the highest paid road cyclist and I doubt that any other SA based pro will recieve his salary in the next 5 years.

You could probably earn more than the average SA pro by waitering at Mugg & Bean regularly' date=' but being a small time SA pro provides you with the opportunity to work yourself up the ladder. I gather the guys on MTN/Microsoft get decent salaries, and the guys on Barloworld cannot receive less than a certain minimum wage that applies to Pro Continental teams (I think something like 26 000 Euro per year). I've heard that Robbie earned R4 million per year at Phonak (not sure if this was accurate or not).

[/quote']

Robbie earned 300 000.00 euro at Phonak. That is 2.4 mil and not 4 mil. He probarbly got some sponsor and incentive payment too.

Kevin Evans is the highest paid mountain bike pro and I can assure you that your numbers are way too low. Malcolm is the highest paid road cyclist and I doubt that any other SA based pro will recieve his salary in the next 5 years.

glad to hear the MTB'ers aren't being left behind salary wise.......

Brandon, a lot of good pros in SA earn less than R10 000. The top MTN riders must get about R25k??

Why dont you think a local pro will earn more than ML in the next 5 years?

Brandon' date=' a lot of good pros in SA earn less than R10 000. The top MTN riders must get about R25k??

Why dont you think a local pro will earn more than ML in the next 5 years?
[/quote']

The top 2 MTN riders get a lot more than R 25k. Don't get me wrong I would love to see our riders getting more, but I am basing my opinion on the state of pro racing in SA - its difficult to get the real money in. I think that MTN's involvement will spark interest in the telecommunications sector as evidenced by Neotel's commitment and where MTN is be sure to see Vodacom next LOL

I think that just like there was a changing of the gaurd at the TdF this is also about to happen in the next couple of years as Malcolm retires and guys like Nic follow in time to come. I see salaries in the R12k - R18k range for road pro's and if the telecoms all enter R15k - R25k range.

Malcolm was paid so well because he was a sure bet delivering race wins all the time. The highest paid SA based pro after Malcolm is going to be Daryl Impey.

South African pro's including ML live month to month. For what bike manufacturers get out of a pro team like MTN must be huge. It's a pity that none of the pro's dont see any of that return. If it were not for them i dont think Raleigh would be on the map. Pro riders in SA (MTN, Neotel, Minolta) do not get paid enough to make a decent living and that is why most of the riders are doing something on the side. To make matters worse is that most of the pros only get there contracts in december, so they are squeezed like lemons for results the whole year and then treated like dirt when contract time comes.

Guest colonel

Racing Heart, If I was paid 25K I would also race in SA, simple, how much do you earn right now? If you look at it ML earned say 25K base salary without prize money a month so if you take that he raced what on average 6hrs a week, take that 6hrs a week X 4 weeks in a month = 24hrs a month he was actually working.

He earned R1041-66 for every hour he worked. NOT f**king bad if you ask me.

Brandon, so why dont you think someone like david george doesnt get signed. I heard rumours that he will ride for MTN after SA's.

Racing Heart' date=' If I was paid 25K I would also race in SA, simple, how much do you earn right now? If you look at it ML earned say 25K base salary without prize money a month so if you take that he raced what on average 6hrs a week, take that 6hrs a week X 4 weeks in a month = 24hrs a month he was actually working.

[/quote']

What planet are you from. You can't just assign a pro's race time to his earning potential.

This analagy of yours implys that a pro never needs to train as he is only paid for racing????

He is also paid to train and do other promotial work for the sponsors.

Brandon' date=' so why dont you think someone like david george doesnt get signed. I heard rumours that he will ride for MTN after SA's.[/quote']

Was thinking the same thing....he is the best rider in SA at the moment but no pro teamConfused....he will give any team very good coverage if you ask me. He races here in CPT....WTF???Confused

Racing Heart' date=' If I was paid 25K I would also race in SA, simple, how much do you earn right now? If you look at it ML earned say 25K base salary without prize money a month so if you take that he raced what on average 6hrs a week, take that 6hrs a week X 4 weeks in a month = 24hrs a month he was actually working.

[/quote']

What planet are you from. You can't just assign a pro's race time to his earning potential.

This analagy of yours implys that a pro never needs to train as he is only paid for racing????

He is also paid to train and do other promotial work for the sponsors.

Promotional Work ?????

Have you ever tried to have a convesation with some of these guys. they cant even string a sentence together.

Besides that, I dont think Brendan is quite correct. I know of a woman rider (Local) who gets that. I also know of other riders who are not part of any team who earn way more than that.

I dont think his info is accurate at all.

what's that guys name that road for CWC during the Giro de Capo? I think he got R60k for that one race id I am not mistaken. David George?? I get mixed up with his name and David GarretWacko Marius2007-08-14 08:36:37