Pics from the summit of my ride yesterday

Flowta

Top of houtbay- karbonkelberg!!! What do I win??;)

Hows the trail? how much of it could you ride and how badly is it overgrown now? I would dig to do that as a nightride.. mm, In fact Im going to plann one, Will let you know If I do.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Top of houtbay- karbonkelberg!!! What do I win??;)

Hows the trail? how much of it could you ride and how badly is it overgrown now? I would dig to do that as a nightride.. mm, In fact Im going to plann one, Will let you know If I do.

Could ride a big portion of it, it is quite eroded in parts and very overgrown.

I'm hoping that TMNP will clean it up a bit. Else will see what it entails to do a bit of trimming ourselves

how do you get there?

Head up from Hout Bay harbour, into Harbour heights. Turn right into bayview road by the Mosque. Pretty much follow bayview till the end to the start of the jeeptrack. Keep going up

Could ride a big portion of it, it is quite eroded in parts and very overgrown.

I'm hoping that TMNP will clean it up a bit. Else will see what it entails to do a bit of trimming ourselves

Cool, Its such a nice route but laast time I did it was very overgrown yes. I will help if you want to trimm it with a "panga"one sunday morning.. couldnt take that long??

This thread should be named 'how to make Jo'burg people sick!' Absolutely stunning, but annoying at the same time... ;) hehe!

wowie zowie - nice photies & what a view

I get to look at smog, hows that ?

I see that smoke in the pic above but I dont think all of that white is smog, might also be the mist from the big surf yesterday..

Flota were there guys out at Dungeons yesterday?

Stunning photographs.

ummmm one minor point.... SANParks are unlikely to 'clean it up'. Technically speaking as far as I am aware you are not supposed to be riding up there. Its not one of the recognised MTB 'legal' tracks.......

But things might have changed since.....

Stunning photographs.

ummmm one minor point.... SANParks are unlikely to 'clean it up'. Technically speaking as far as I am aware you are not supposed to be riding up there. Its not one of the recognised MTB 'legal' tracks.......

But things might have changed since.....

I agree that TMNP are unlikely to clean it up, but it does need it , even from a hiking point of view.

AFAIK there is a bit of a grey area with regards to Karbonkelberg,

1. There is no sign saying that you can't ride there, only no motorbikes and dogs must be on leashes (which most people don't do anyway)

2. People were riding it for years, I've heard a few people say how they use to ride but it's overgrown and eroded now.

2. Tread magazine featured Karbonkelberg in a trail description in one of their issues ( I will try find which issue)

I agree that TMNP are unlikely to clean it up, but it does need it , even from a hiking point of view.

AFAIK there is a bit of a grey area with regards to Karbonkelberg,

1. There is no sign saying that you can't ride there, only no motorbikes and dogs must be on leashes (which most people don't do anyway)

2. People were riding it for years, I've heard a few people say how they use to ride but it's overgrown and eroded now.

2. Tread magazine featured Karbonkelberg in a trail description in one of their issues ( I will try find which issue)

wasn't arguing re need for clean up - just saying that sanparks prob wouldn't do for MTB unless formally approached and asked for permission to ride there.

I agree its sort of a grey area I'm just repeating what I know from meetings with SANParks. I wouldn't like to see the issue 'pushed' as I know people do ride there and I've had the 'official' position from SANParks. This was several years ago and the position might have changed.

AMArider would have contact details for who is currently in touch with SANParks re MTB (e.g. fixing trails in Tokai) if you want to do something about 'formalising' riding and / or getting it cleaned up.

The article in Tread doesn't make it right.........

I see that smoke in the pic above but I dont think all of that white is smog, might also be the mist from the big surf yesterday..

Flota were there guys out at Dungeons yesterday?

Sorry for late reply to this one.

The only smoke there is from the top of the fish factory, rest is all mist

Couldn't make out any guys out there, thought I saw somebody paddling for a wave but then nothing.