Which cervelo Frameset?

Spoon

Hey guys,

I'm sure your all probably tired of this topic but i am undecisive about which cervelo to go for :  the R3 or Soloist Carbon??

For those who have one, how are u finding the bike and why did u choose that particular model?
What is the acceleration and 'snappyness' (if i can call it that) of the SLC like! To me the R3 looks snappier... SLC seems like it might be a bit slower on that front! More a TT, breakaway bike....

Any opions would be helpfull!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those R3 chain stays look like they could snap in half very easily... but I wouldn't say no to one.

SLC by a long way if you are a racing snake. Extra mass of SLC wont be noticable. Can build it to 6.8kg in any case with the right spec wheels etc. Aero will make more of a noticable difference. I would expect the SCL to be more stiff & snappy due to the size of the tubes. Check out huge, massive bb lump:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/cervelo/cervsolobb.jpg

Full review from Pez:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=4070

R3 if you want a more comfortable ride, like 'Dale Synapse and second in range Giant carbon.

BTW, seems some Cervelos get delivered with differenf forks, alpha-Q (like used by CSC, cervelo's own fork and some with Easton. Wonder why?

Christie38880.6962384259

Thanks for all your help!

The soloist def seems like the better choice all round!!
Now its just to just get around the Price difference...smileys/smiley2.gif

Hey Mud Dee... sometimes I believe that the more popular choice / common is popular for a reason ...

Have just had a Carbon Soloist built by CycleTech - my Lapierre was damaged by SAA smileys/smiley19.gif

Not quite as light as my Lapierre, but not noticeable.  Will be trying it in anger this weekend at the Vet's tour - can't wait.  Don't think my legs can do it justice at the moment - but it still looks good!!

Mine has the Cervelo forks - size 58 so maybe they have different forks for the different sizes - dunno?

BTW, my reason for choosing the Soloist is exactly that - good bike for breakaway/TT.  We actually don't have real climbs here in Gauteng, and most races are decided by a winning break and not a bunch sprint.

My understanding is that the seat stays on the R3 are not required structurally - i.e. the bike is strong enough without them, but they are required for UCI regulations and you need somewhere to hang your brake caliper Click on image to open in new window

bruce38880.7969444444

Hey Mud Dee... sometimes I believe that the more popular choice / common is popular for a reason ...

Yeah its all about keeping up with the Jones'es...smileys/smiley5.gif

Yeah its all about keeping up with the Jones'es...Click on image to open in new window

[/quote']

lol... good one! but u know what i meant smileys/smiley36.gif

Hey Spoon... I just got the Soloist and it's a awesome bike. Stiff, aero and to me very comfortable. Just swapped the seat for a fizik arione and the cranks I opted for the Dura-Ace. Very responsive and fast! Like bruce says, the R3 is more for climbing and we don't really have such major climbs here in SA.

It all depends what you wanna do with the bike. I chose the soloist cause I can race with it and set it up as a TT bike. Mr Colin Germs assisted me with my bike! Take his advise and maybe pop in to see him... both him and Andrew will give you good advise and point you in the right direction.

Good luck Click on image to open in new window

Jason38880.7941319444

Spoon,

Speak to Nochain, NickG, Joss and Diesel  they ride R3 and Solist.

Contact Joss at Morne Bester Cycles for a price.

Cell: 0824866570

Whats this board coming to. Jason on a Cevelo and Michelle on a Trek. Somethings not right smileys/smiley5.gif

I would also go with Soloist.smileys/smiley2.gif

Guest Big H

If you have a lot of money to spend AND you are a amazinly gifted cyclists who earns it get a Cervelo. If not go and buy one of the secondhand TREK's that was last years fashion statement, but .................. if Koos Makathini on a black thickwheel Hercules with a three speed and drum brakes wins the Tour de France this year, expect the price of those bikes to rise sharply and a flood of old Cervelo's available VERY cheaply in Junkmail!!!!!!!!!

Cyclists are really veign creatures who extoll the virtues of last years very good attributes over the equal virtues of this year to motivate new toys. Wake up you fashion besotted average ability yuppies with too much money to spend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

If you have a lot of money to spend AND you are a amazinly gifted cyclists who earns it get a Cervelo. If not go and buy one of the secondhand TREK's that was last years fashion statement' date=' but .................. if Koos Makathini on a black thickwheel Hercules with a three speed and drum brakes wins the Tour de France this year, expect the price of those bikes to rise sharply and a flood of old Cervelo's available VERY cheaply in Junkmail!!!!!!!!!

Cyclists are really veign creatures who extoll the virtues of last years very good attributes over the equal virtues of this year to motivate new toys. Wake up you fashion besotted average ability yuppies with too much money to spend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

[/quote'] 

smileys/smiley32.gif smileys/smiley32.gif smileys/smiley32.gif smileys/smiley32.gif Well Said !!! Cervelo's are the flavour of the month , as Trek where a year ago.

cant wait to see a Raleigh in the TDF.....then watch the price Rocket!!!