why is my carbom frame creaking

jcmeyerSS

Had the same problem with my bike for the last few weeks, took it to my lbs and they cleaned and greased the pivots where the rear shock attaches to the frame, no more squeaking. Apparently quite a bit of dirt gets in there!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also had a creak on my bike a while ago. By sheer chance my brother also had the same problem and after chatting to him about it he said that he also had a Shimano crank with external bearings.

He suggested that I take the left crank arm off, clean the splines and grease them lightly. Afterwards put the arm back on and "finger-tighten" the center nut until the arm is all the way home. Then turn the center nut back half to three quarter turn and pull the crank arm towards the nut and tighten up the two "clamping bolts" to the recomended torque.

I tried it and voila!!!. I haven't had a creak since.

I think it has something to do with the end of the splines in the crank arm meshing with the end of the splines at the rear of the axle, where the most friction takes place under load.

I don't know what cranks you ride with, but if you have a crank with external bearings I would definitely suggest this quick fix before looking too far.

Had the same problem.LBS checked it out and eventually the hub body on the rear wheel was taken off,cleaned,and greased.All over.It is difficult to track it down as the creaking sound echo through the frame.

Headset,dusty crankarms/bb,shock pivots(rear),seatpost,skewers,rear derailer,etc.

all must be elimated.

i had the same problem, but also had a strange clicking every stroke. Greased the rear swingarm pivots, the BB bearings, the crankarm bolts, the pedals,and the seatpost and clamp, the shock swingarm and still clicking and squeaking. Thought my carbon frame was cracked.

Then on a ride i moved the seatrails forward. Creaking stopped....but check your frame regularly.

The clicking was from my drivechain. Had chainsuck during a race and the clicking was ever since then. So changed the chain and it worked for a ride, then clicking again. So turned the bike upside down and carefully watched the chain..It jumped at the area it clicked because it was damaged at that point from my middle crank ring being damaged during the chainsuck. So changed the chainring, and the chain again and presto...problem solved....at last.

Guess it's just trail and error.

my carbon frame is creaking when i put a bit of power through the pedals. is it normal?

No, it's broken. Give it to me.

Thank gawd for alluminum, steel and titanium.

Just imagine......If all the components were made from plastic we wouldn't have any squeaks and creaks on our bikes.

It's due to these materials that we have an excuse tinker on our bikes to look for complex problems with a simple solution...and to keep us out from under the missus' feet ;) :P

Be glad you do'nt have a GT with idrive, creak like hell!!!

Have you had your pivots replaced with the new ones from GT at no charge? If not do it, it makes a difference