What makes zipp so special?

stewie911

While we are hijacking the thread, renewing old acquintances, Spinnekop het die Middel arm vd Thule by jou uitgekom? Hijack Off

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife finds bike bits boring, but when she saw a pic of the 404's she said "Hey, those wheels look great. You should get those". So I did. Immediately.

Everytime I put them on the bike it just transforms it and I can just sit and stare at the bike and I've had them for more than a year!

Oh, they also make you very, very fast. Well, in my head they do and that is all that counts right?!

post-1131-069560100 1281002028.jpg

But, how would the american wheels look on my cervelo with campag? Will this be a breach of euro roadie code. :huh:

While we are hijacking the thread, renewing old acquintances, Spinnekop het die Middel arm vd Thule by jou uitgekom? Hijack Off

Hi Hi.

Sorry, ja, het armpie gekry verlede week by die Krugersdorp vaakseun....hy kom kuier net as die koeie op Loftus uit draf.

BAIE, BAIE dankie!!! Dit lyk perfek! Ek sal, DV, hom een van die dae nodig kry as ons Graskop bietjie gaan verken in Sept.

Nogmaaks BAIE dankie!!! :lol:

But, how would the american wheels look on my cervelo with campag? Will this be a breach of euro roadie code. :huh:

You mean just like the Cervelo test team? Zipp and Cervelo I mean.

BTW, Cervélo is made in Canadia.

OOohhhhh, I thought you were talking about the real one... the one that holds monsters back ;-)

BTW, Cervélo is made in Canadia.

Well 'made' is a bit of a strong word. It's actually manufactured in Taiwan and assembled in Canada. So I would say it's made in Taiwan. Oh, and a Dutchman designs them, so does that make them Dutch? Who cares, just fit your Zipps to your Cervelo like Thor and the boys do. It's cool. Euro cool even!

Well 'made' is a bit of a strong word. It's actually manufactured in Taiwan and assembled in Canada. So I would say it's made in Taiwan. Oh, and a Dutchman designs them, so does that make them Dutch? Who cares, just fit your Zipps to your Cervelo like Thor and the boys do. It's cool. Euro cool even!

Okay, it's a Canadian brand. It was just so that that hubber don't feel bad when he mixes Campag with AM wheels and feel bad that he is breaking the sacred "you don't mix this with that" code.

Heheheh.....

Seriously.

I think it is a lot of marketing spin by the old Americans! They do it by FAR the best!!!!

Zipps are made in US. The Americans have this HUGE loyalty/patriotism when it comes to 'local is lekker'.....just have a look at how they sh8t their pants when Cannondale moved production to the East.

That said, Zipps are very popular amongst the US community and in particular the triathletes....something the Americans have a lot off it seems.

You'll find the Europeans will stick to Campy and Shimano stuff and if going carbon, the words Edge, Reynolds, Campy and Lightweight come up! Not that much Zipp.

Are the wheels fast.....hell yah!

Personally I like Zipp because it is not just a boxed rim but the profile is part of the construction of the wheel.

Did I mention sexy? :D

Well, to be honest Zipps are not really pushed heavily here in Europe (Holland and Belgium anyway). They have a big import duty slapped on them (as non-Euro manufacture) which I guess offends the frugal Dutch nature, but you do still see them around in the races I do. It all comes down to availability and support and Veltec (who have the distribution rights) seem to be disinterested in pushing Zipp as a brand. No idea why.

I have been to a few bike shops in France,Belgium and Luxembourg and they will have at least one set of Zipp 202,303 and 404 tubbies on show.Most and Lightweight wheels are also big here.

Zipp's do sound great though.