Dissapointing Purchase from @Specialized

Wrigs

Hi Guys

When I joined the HUB I participated in a topic entitled "How much have you spent on the HUB". In this thread we discussed giving feedback on good and bad puchase experiences. I have had many good ones @giro cycles potch, @ willemj and great interactions with @madmikex.

Unfortunately a bad experience with @specialized which I want to leave a health warning on.

Bought a set of Coolmax Cervelo kit and i am seriously dissapointed.

1. Promised chamois padding turned out to be very soft and thin sponge foam - when you press it between your fingers compresses to less than 1mm in some places.

2. Fit is odd - tight around the chest and loose and baggy in the crotch area.

3. Bib stitching started comming apart at the seams after single use and the foam started deforming.

Contacted Specialized (Adiel) but no luck in trying to resolve this. He offered to repair the stitching if I posted it back to CT from Jhb, but that hardly solves the key problems - the inferiority of the product.

This kit is way below what I expected. As a last ditch attempt I offered to cover his cost price and send the kit back - havent heard from him!

Fortunately this is the only dissapointing purchase on the HUB after having spent over R40k. So I am not about to stop. Lesson though - dont buy anything unless you get a chance to inspect it 1st or you have dealt with the seller before.

Hope this is helpful turns out to be helpful to other Hubbers.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That will teach you all a lesson to rather buy better quality bib shorts instead of wanting to look the part in cheap "pro" kits. If you gonna be sitting on your A$$ for 4-6 Hours you want to be comfy.

I feel your pain, but...

I've bought cervelo bibs from ebay for R200 just to see if they're any good. The padding is fine, but way to big and rubs on my thighs and very tight around my stomach, but at that price what can you expect.

Same for your purchase. One of those kits should set you back around R2000 for good quality and at that price what did you expect? I won't even buy bibs at that price anymore. Shirts I'll maybe buy cheap again.

So I wouldn't rant about the quality. (Goedkoop koop is duur koop) As for the rest of your rant, that's another story

This is why Scorpione had a go at him, so did I. You want to look the part, spend the money. Do NOT go cheap on clothes, you want to wear them for months to come as well as be comfy in them.

Goedkoop Koop is not always Duur Koop....... not long ago I purchased PRORACE bib shorts from Solomons in Pretoria. It was a sale item and I bought three forR100-00 each. Must be the nest buy I have ever made...... not the best chamois in the world but good enough for the one hour training rides during the week and for not the training pedals on our spinners. Maybe not long race conditions quality but they are good enough.

The difference with my experience is that I was able to se and feel the quality of the shorts. I was not subjected to the unscrupelous (sic????) selling techniques of a internet scammer. I will buy spares over the internet. Spares you can research and ensure that you buy the correct item....... but shoes, helmets gloves clothes and even saddles I am hesitant to buy unless I know the item very well.

I followed this sale thread. I didn't buy anything.

I think this guy sold quite a few.

You are the only guy who's come back to give feedback.

Its good of you to do so.

I'd like to hear the stories of all the others, because I'm sure there are plenty of people who spent poorly. Why haven't they shared. It will give this seller more to think about in future.

Perhaps becomes a case in point for previously suggested seller rating system.

Sorry if I missed something.

Hi Guys

When I joined the HUB I participated in a topic entitled "How much have you spent on the HUB". In this thread we discussed giving feedback on good and bad puchase experiences. I have had many good ones @giro cycles potch, @ willemj and great interactions with @madmikex.

Unfortunately a bad experience with @specialized which I want to leave a health warning on.

Bought a set of Coolmax Cervelo kit and i am seriously dissapointed.

1. Promised chamois padding turned out to be very soft and thin sponge foam - when you press it between your fingers compresses to less than 1mm in some places.

2. Fit is odd - tight around the chest and loose and baggy in the crotch area.

3. Bib stitching started comming apart at the seams after single use and the foam started deforming.

Contacted Specialized (Adiel) but no luck in trying to resolve this. He offered to repair the stitching if I posted it back to CT from Jhb, but that hardly solves the key problems - the inferiority of the product.

This kit is way below what I expected. As a last ditch attempt I offered to cover his cost price and send the kit back - havent heard from him!

Fortunately this is the only dissapointing purchase on the HUB after having spent over R40k. So I am not about to stop. Lesson though - dont buy anything unless you get a chance to inspect it 1st or you have dealt with the seller before.

Hope this is helpful turns out to be helpful to other Hubbers.

SM..... you're spot on. I did try to warn as many people as possible. The worse thing besides the poor quality is that Adiel himself wears the real kit and not the fake.. Now you go figure.

Oh and by the way, the other reason why he is selling that crap so cheap is cleary because he's not declaring the stuff at customs. 45% duties is what you should be paying when importing crap clothing from china. You do the maths.

Enough said.

SM..... you're spot on. I did try to warn as many people as possible. The worse thing besides the poor quality is that Adiel himself wears the real kit and not the fake.. Now you go figure.

Oh and by the way, the other reason why he is selling that crap so cheap is cleary because he's not declaring the stuff at customs. 45% duties is what you should be paying when importing crap clothing from china. You do the maths.

Enough said.

Seriously uncool. :blink:

Is Specialized not the guy who sells knock off Livestrong kit. He got very rude when confronted about that.

Thanks for all the comments guys and agree with most of them - purpose of this thread wasnt to try and resolve my problem but (a) try and warn others and (B) see if we cant get an active feedback system working.

This is a great forum for buying, selling and interacting and it would be great to see it rewarding those that use it responsibly and visa versa.

I also got ripped off by @Specialized, but thankfully only for a pair of gloves (R100). They still do the job well enough but obviously are not the real thing as I have real SP gloves to compare them to...

Guys like this spoil the experience for everybody. Be careful.

A fool and his money......

What did you guys really expect to get?! I think this feedback system works fine, who'd buy from him now?

This goods looked dodgy from the first time i saw the posts.

Good thing I never bought anything.

Thanx for the info!