Just Cyclelab...or do they all overcharge like this ?

Lounge Lizard

they are defferent from the ones at brm... but the ones at bearing man should work fine... QRM bearings are just made specifically for Mavic wheels.

Yes, sort of and no.

QRM (french for Mavic Quality Bearings) bearings are not the the same as normal bearings of the same size. Normal bearings have normal, CN class, internal clearance. Mavic bearings have a slightly looser C3 class clearance that gives them more play. You wouldn't be able to tell the clearance class just by measuring the bearing with calipers, so BMG probably didn't pick this difference up.

C3 bearings can, amongst other things, tolerate a higher axial preload than CN bearings. You need to apply a preload on Mavic wheels, so CN bearings may wear quicker than equivalent C3 bearings.

There is nothing unique to Mavic about QRM bearings. If you go to BMG and ask for x sized bearings with 2RS seals and C3 internal clearance from a reputable manufacturer they'll give you the same thing. The problem is that C3 bearings in those sizes may not necessarily be stock items, so BMG may have to order them in.

I suspect C3 bearings are probably more expensive than CN ones, but they're probably still cheaper from BMG than from Cyclelab (for various reasons already mentioned). Of course, until you have a price from BMG for C3 bearings to do a direct comparison, it's a bit unfair to criticise CL's price.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't always need to buy new bearings IMHO, serviced the ones in my GXP BB today and they are smooth as a baby's bum again .... so my thinking if they are just 'rough' service, if they have developed side to side 'play' throw away and buy from BRM and the like if you can!

Back to the Q. the reason why you pay R220 a bearing is because MAVIC uses qrm bearings, they are defferent from the ones at brm... but the ones at bearing man should work fine... QRM bearings are just made specifically for Mavic wheels. but jip.. did my own ones the chaep way... i cant afford QRM

QRM = Qualité de Roulements Mavic ..... another ploy by cycling companies to make you feel inadequate if you do not use their product..... are their balls rounder that those procured from BRM...... most likely not.

Explain how they are different Munky of the mud???????

QRM = Qualité de Roulements Mavic ..... another ploy by cycling companies to make you feel inadequate if you do not use their product..... are their balls rounder that those procured from BRM...... most likely not.

They're certainly bigger! :lol:

My SunRingle hubs bearings cost R125-00 a side, thats R250-00 a wheel and that's not from CL.

Last time I looked they were about R20 each at Bearing Man and work fine.

Last time I looked they were about R20 each at Bearing Man and work fine.

I agree they might not last as long, but will they last 6 times longer? If they do, then you are all square cost wise.

Im pretty sure most of the Cycle lab defenders here were the same ones saying we need better prices from our LBS. Now its ok for them to overcharge becuase they want to service a niche market?

Well so be it then, not that I planned spending money with them anyway. I beleive in the value of money rather than the image of money.

I beleive in the value of money rather than the image of money.

<Bites his tongue, as he reads the smokers comment>

The purchase price is a constant debate.

Even comments of how many times the bearings can be replaced at that cost until you break even are questionable. This often does not include the value consideration of the downtime or the after sale benefits or the premium for subtle technical differences and R&D.

<Bites his tongue, as he reads the smokers comment>

But you are so correct, "the image of money" :lol: :lol:

I wonder what value and image there is in money when you put a lighter to it :blink: :blink:

But you are so correct, "the image of money" :lol: :lol:

I wonder what value and image there is in money when you put a lighter to it :blink: :blink:

Im sure he is getting great value for his money when he is smoking, its called enjoyment. Even if he is burning it,each to their own i say.

I somehow doubt you run your own business.

Cyclelab proposition is a premium service for a premium clientele in a premium location. Sound like that they met that proposition in your case. They probably do fall short on occasion too. Its difficult when you aim at a high standard. Many people are prepared to pay for that, and probaly pay significantly more than they would elsewhere. They factor in the friendliness, knowledge, service and backup.

While BMG probably works out of an industrial area from a warehouse environment and for those that don't mind grease under their nails, its probably great. I doubt the person behind the counter is particularly skilled in client relations like the premium store employee. He probably knows way more about bearings but bugger all about bicylces.

There is a massive difference in cost structure.

I would bet that CL buys its bearing from the wheel distributor rather than the bearing manufacturer. They probably know that can get the bearing cheaper from BMG. The reason for this is that by reselling the official (and expensive) part, they won't have come backs that it damaged your wheel. It will work, and it is supported by the distributor. Again there is a cost to that, call it an insurance against failure and come back.

So at the end of the day, you milked the knowledge of the one and purchased from the other. That's probably why the other stores don't bother with trying to help source the part for you.

At the end of the day, CL is the winner for showing they are prepared to go that extra mile for the customer.

Great summary !

Hi LL

Thot your original post was pretty fair & informative, can't understand the attack on you, must've been pmt or a bad hair day. Are you a known/notorious smoker as this may explain it.

Lizard,

I believe you did not intend to slam the CycleLab brand.

And you ask a great question of overpricing...

Go where you feel comfortable to buy your goodies. No use in complaining. As a consumer, the choice is yours.

Cycle Lab is not the place for me to go and get my iron horse goodies. Prices there 'eina' me, except for the odd end-of-range discount on nutrition. :huh:

Im sure he is getting great value for his money when he is smoking, its called enjoyment. Even if he is burning it,each to their own i say.

You crack me up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: