Been knocked down by a bus lately?

flymango

A best mates wifes cousin(sorry for the mouthful) was killed in Hawaii last weekend by a bus driver cutting the corner.

http://www.khon2.com/content/news/developingstories/story/Woman-killed-by-bus-on-Waiakamilo-Road/C-r64-rVFUa55sig2DaxNw.cspx

While living in London, and ten years od bicycle commuting everyday(rain, snow, hail) I was knocked over 5 times(one of times I had all the skin taken off the side of my face). Not once did the drivers take responsibilty or prosecuted for anything :(

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is there a legal case to be opened against the bus driver??

i would like to see what at the consequences the driver has to face!!!

But you just said that you are not going to ride the same route again because the Taxi nearly knocked you over....now you want to know if someone else is going to do something proactive against the Bus driver....why did you not do something against the Taxi driver?

Get well soon Captain. :o

Hope all the cuts and bruises heal up real well.

I commute fairly regulalry and still in two minds about the taxi drivers. Seriously, they have, more often than not, been the most polite to me when I need a gap. Some of them have almost wiped me out as well, but in the main, I'd say they are generally better to share the road with than women drivers. (I sh!t you not.) :)

Bus drivers, I have had few issues with but then I don't see too many busses on the route I use. If you are going to do anything about the issue, you stand a better chance getting anything out of council than out of a taxi driver.

Being new to being on a bike, i am TERRIFIED of riding anywhere with traffic and reading this make it worse for me. I have a mountain bike and i am seriously considering skipping my evening ride around the block on the roads as i had a run in with a SUV last week. Thankfully the driver was considerate but the stupid dog walkers in front of me allowed their dog to dart into the road, i had to swerve to avoid said beast dog, and said SUV had to swerve to avoid me. I will go to the gym on week days instead and do cycle class i think... Much happier going to Northern Farm or wherever there are no cars. :(

You should join us at Kyalami Race Track during the week. Mondays - Thursday 5am to sunset. A great workout and best is NO cars :D

Michelle

Get better soon bud!

I was really worried when you phoned me and said that you were hit by a bus! :(

But thank you God you are still alive and you will be able to join me again soon.

Maybe we should take the mtb's more as well when we can.

We wont find any busses in the dirt.... maybe just taxi's :huh:

So the other big question is..... Are you now going to get those deep sections I have been ragging you about? B)

But you just said that you are not going to ride the same route again because the Taxi nearly knocked you over....now you want to know if someone else is going to do something proactive against the Bus driver....why did you not do something against the Taxi driver?

Ever tried doing anything against a taxi driver legally? The only way youll ever get satisfation from incidents like these is to shoot the bastid.

Just look at that taxi driver that blatantly ignored the train intersection booms in CPT and caused the death of 10 children. Got out on R20k bail (80k less than bees) will probably plead a technical fault and come away scot free.

Covie, I agree with your point. The thing that gets me is that people moan and "do" something only when it is a soft target....

Why dont they do something ALL the time, can you imagine if a taxi tried to push into a lane and ALL the cars blocked him, but no there will always be people who will just look the other way.

My point is that the person who wants to get the bus drive into trouble has something to say but they will not never act themselfs.

People can chirp but they never act themselfs

As the recent victim of aggressive driver behaviour (smiling wanker looked me directly in the eye and drove straight at me in a game of chicken, needless to say he won!), we need a 1001wankers.co.za site. (See here for inspiration http://101wankers.tumblr.com/) 101 won't be enough for SA :-(

Anybody willing to set up and host?

Description of vehicle and location, pic if you have it. No libelous statements, just facts.

As the recent victim of aggressive driver behaviour (smiling wanker looked me directly in the eye and drove straight at me in a game of chicken, needless to say he won!), we need a 1001wankers.co.za site. (See here for inspiration http://101wankers.tumblr.com/) 101 won't be enough for SA :-(

Anybody willing to set up and host?

Description of vehicle and location, pic if you have it. No libelous statements, just facts.

www.roadhogs.co.za

Covie, I agree with your point. The thing that gets me is that people moan and "do" something only when it is a soft target....

Why dont they do something ALL the time, can you imagine if a taxi tried to push into a lane and ALL the cars blocked him, but no there will always be people who will just look the other way.

My point is that the person who wants to get the bus drive into trouble has something to say but they will not never act themselfs.

People can chirp but they never act themselfs

this is probably the reason i dont own a gun anymore, on the M5 to Mowbray everymorning you get that two taxi's block the highway to let a queue of 50 taxi's turn in. This happened every damn morning on my way to work. Till one day i block the taxi's that normally blocks the traffic. Once we got going the guy next to the driver stuck his hand out the window and pointed his fingers at me in the shape of a gun and "pulled the trigger"

Me having an extremely short fuse, opened up my cubbihole, took out my luger, opened my window, stuck the gun out and fired of a blank (My first rounds were always blanks since you have to always give a warning shot) at the taxi.

He obviously crapped himself, and then hit the concrete barrier on the right hand side, was really funny to watch but also realized how stupid in infantile a gesture like that is.

Got rid of the gun in the meantime.

Hectic!

I ride that route quite often. It is tight, I've lodged more then one complaint with the bus operators and they say they take them seriously. But wow. It seems the taxi drivers aspire to be like the bus drivers, or they are at least trying to outdo each other with their hellish driving as if it is something to be proud of.

I hope Captain recovers speedily.

For those living in the Bloubergstrand area, the cycling pavement lane is 99% complete from Bayside all the way to the Artscape theatre in town. It is a good quality surface with a good 1-2 meters from the road and is a pleasure to ride, worth trying.

Be safe.

firstly, it is suicidal to attempt anything further than the exchange of vulgar words towards a taxi driver, especially if i am on my bike and he is in his taxi. i dont want to attemp to understand his frame of mind. further almost all taxi drivers do carry fire-arms, and i dont think to provoke an armed taxi driver and try to out ride him would be a clever idea.

the point that i am trying to make is that unfortunately someone has been knocked, but the driver of the bus has been identified, and there is an opportunity to set an example with this driver. the rest of us face the reckless drivers, however the drivers getaway. you can try and remember the license number of the taxi, and then report it to the local SAPS or traffic authority. i'll let you guess what would happen thereafter. (nothing)

though i agree that we should be united in attempting to prevent these morons from being reckless on the road, however too many people turn a blind eye.

Hey guys, one bus hits you and the next thing you know theres a thread about you on the hub...:)

Thanks to everyone for all the wellwishes. I am fine with a couple of minor injuries and bruises and a bit stiff, but luckily no broken bones or anything more serious.

The bus actually hit me from the left front and my left hand and helmet took most of the impact.

The guy must have seen me at the last moment and i think he braked hard before hitting me otherwise it might have been a different story.

attached is a picture taken by a friendly bystander right after it happened.

post-1358-088700400 1283941283.jpg

The usual problem with Sa motorist, cutting corners...or thats the way it looks from the pic. So, let me see how many transgressions can you identity from that pic, I have 3, speeding, cutting corners, jumping robot...

If anyone has some bright ideas of how to go about making an example of the busdriver, ill be happy to oblige. legally that is of course!

reckless and negelegent driving, destruction of private property. And have the cops roadworthy the bus while they are at it.