Cape Epic Veterans

SwissVan

Right Hubbers 11 sleeps to go.......

but whose counting anyways...

Next round of questions for the Epic Vets.

What course info do you get at registration?

For example do you get a nice route profile for each day that you can carry with you or do you have to rely on memory or scribble on your wrist / arm / leg / make your own??

Any useful tips regarding keeping track of course info such as how much climbing is still ahead on each day???

Muto Obrigado

Hi Swiss

Bet you are getting real excited now!!!! Wish I was you.

Another bit of info.

You will be surprised at the amount of walking in the Epic. SO, do screw the longer soccer nylon studs on the front of your MTB shoes. Really helps with the walking!!

As was said, a nice flyby every evening, but after an hour in the saddle one tends to forget all the detail anaway since there is so many climbs. Make a good mental note of at what distances the waterpoints are. Help me to monitor my fluid and food intake.

It was mentioned, you cannot eat too much really.

Good luck!!!!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Swiss

Bet you are getting real excited now!!!! Wish I was you.

Another bit of info.

You will be surprised at the amount of walking in the Epic. SO, do screw the longer soccer nylon studs on the front of your MTB shoes. Really helps with the walking!!

As was said, a nice flyby every evening, but after an hour in the saddle one tends to forget all the detail anaway since there is so many climbs. Make a good mental note of at what distances the waterpoints are. Help me to monitor my fluid and food intake.

It was mentioned, you cannot eat too much really.

Good luck!!!!!

Yep sommer bought 8 studs (4 spares) for the shoes, just in case LOL

Looking forward to it, but not looking forward to all the travel and bike transporting.

BTW I put my monorails on last night, rear wheel only so far will do the front tonight. Has to be the easiest UST tyre I have ever put on.

I am a numbers man and so every morning I made a point of remembering how many metres of climbing , the distances of each watering point and the start and end kms of each big climb.

This gave me something to calculate and keep my mind busy.

One day they understated the ascent by 600m. This stuffed me up because we had "finished" climbing with another 40kms to go.

Very interesting thread! Thanks for all the tips guys. I have been taking notes and plan to use them all in 2012 or 2013. Only been riding for a year so far, but absolutely love the idea of mountain after mountain.

I am a bit of an oddity because I really enjoy climbing - no better feeling than conquering another hill. (well maybe one other thing ;) )

Good luck Swiss Van, next year you can provide the rest of us with some tips.

BTW I put my monorails on last night, rear wheel only so far will do the front tonight. Has to be the easiest UST tyre I have ever put on.

Great stuff, you will not regret it!! For what it is worth I use about 150 ml slime/tyre. Mixture of the thicker and thinner stuff.

Great stuff, you will not regret it!! For what it is worth I use about 150 ml slime/tyre. Mixture of the thicker and thinner stuff.

Can you recall what pressure you pumped your monorails to?

Have not had a chance to ride outdoors with mine yet, but at the same pressure as my rocket rons (28 - 30psi) they feel much harder, maybe they are more "rigid" than the rockets rons?

Does each person get his or her own tent at the Epic :unsure:

Yes.

It is just big enough for you, your mattress and your kitbag.

Cool thanks :thumbup:

Can't wait - my boet and I got an entry at the last minute (4 weeks before the big day) so should be interesting to say the least. Plan? Just to enjoy and get to the finish in 1 piece!

Sort of, but you hve to share it with 1 x sore ass, 2 x dead legs and plenty carb-to-the-max farts.. Ask manbearpig about it..

Sort of, but you hve to share it with 1 x sore ass, 2 x dead legs and plenty carb-to-the-max farts.. Ask manbearpig about it..

the dead legs and carb farts I may survive ...... sore ass :o - you okes just said 1 man per tent :unsure:

Ok so the time has come and my EPIC journey starts tonight.... Flight to JNB leaves at 22h45.

Bike is packed with all the riding kit, energy bars and gels (nearly 7kg's worth of bars and gels).

Hope like hell it all arrives in one piece and at the same place / time as i do....

Thanks hubbers for all the epic suggestions and discussions. Hopefully see some of you next week.

Ok so the time has come and my EPIC journey starts tonight.... Flight to JNB leaves at 22h45.

Bike is packed with all the riding kit, energy bars and gels (nearly 7kg's worth of bars and gels).

Hope like hell it all arrives in one piece and at the same place / time as i do....

Thanks hubbers for all the epic suggestions and discussions. Hopefully see some of you next week.

we have bars and gels in the cape.... its not that un-tamed and EPIC down here ;)

good good GOOD LUCK!

A while back they were selling the tents and i bought 2 , even though i'm not of the midget race the tents are quite spacious and can easily accomodate yourself and your kit, or your bike if you leave your kit outside.

Edited by scotty