Racing ralphs

crasher

Well I been running the WTB Weirwolf UST's on XT rims with stans since June last year in that time I have never stopped to fix a puncture or anything tyre related whilst racing.

Used one plug on a training ride when I landed the rear on a broken bottle.(only time I have seen a stans fountain :) )

They are really strong!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MaxUmis

I agree with your choice the Maxxis combo is rock solid, good weight great performance and best value for money.

My schwalbes lasted all of 3 rides before i binned them. Never again. Now on kenda karma Ust. Rather impressed with them.

CRC have monorail LUST on sale @ R287 and the crossmark LUST @ R352 (but out of stock) 640 bucks for a pair pretty good value maybe I will give this combo a try

I still save 200g's over the WTB's I can just take a longer piss :) ...or maybe should buy a new set of wheels to go with them

My racewheels have a MonaRail/CrossMark combo, both 2.1's and am very happy with the them.

On my playwheels I run a fatter setup of 2.35" Kenda Nevegal/2.25" CrossMark.

The Nevegal is heavy, but corners like stink and is bombproof (also relatively cheap). Haven't come accross anything that matches the CrossMarks for durability and reasonable grip on the back though. (Tried a Nevegal before, it was smooth after three months)

The Conti MountainKing/RaceKing combo is also very popular, but pricey.

I had no confidence with the monorails :( they just kept letting go (i do ride aggressive angles sometimes) put wtb werewolfs upfront with a crossmark at the rear now I happy :) Still want to try the maxxis ardent upfront.

Personally I like Schwables. Put a Nibby Nick / Smart Sam (non UST) combination on in February and rode Sani2c, Epic, Joberg2c, couple of one day races, and all my other riding including a lot of the rocky stuff in Groenkloof before getting my first flat on Saturday (Stans had dried out so this was my fault). I have been using Schwable for 2.5 years now and will confess that I have had 2 side wall cuts plus a couple of flats but then I have done around 25000km on them. Cant think that I would have done much better with any other brand of tire (there are plenty of tires that would have performed a lot worse). I get about 2000-3000km out of the rear and somewhere between 5000-8000km on the front - this really comes down to how little tread you are prepared to ride. I am not too fussy with training / fun rides but will replace worn tires for a big race. My guess is that the Racing Ralphs will be just fine. You will need to decide if you are happy with he grip. Everybody has their own opinions but I say make up your own mind.

Interesting to see how many people think that light tires are soft. Guess the above experience goes against that. My point is, if light tires do the trick then why choose heavy tires? If you are going to do that then you may as well get a steel frame and fill it with sand too. Just like carrying 3l plus all sorts of other rubbish in a Camel Back, why? If you can get rid of 300g on your tires do it (and if you can get rid of another 300g with non UST tires do that too). It cost you a lot less to shed weight on your tires than most other bike components but you need to figure what works for you.

Personally I like Schwables. Put a Nibby Nick / Smart Sam (non UST) combination on in February and rode Sani2c, Epic, Joberg2c, couple of one day races, and all my other riding including a lot of the rocky stuff in Groenkloof before getting my first flat on Saturday (Stans had dried out so this was my fault). I have been using Schwable for 2.5 years now and will confess that I have had 2 side wall cuts plus a couple of flats but then I have done around 25000km on them. Cant think that I would have done much better with any other brand of tire (there are plenty of tires that would have performed a lot worse). I get about 2000-3000km out of the rear and somewhere between 5000-8000km on the front - this really comes down to how little tread you are prepared to ride. I am not too fussy with training / fun rides but will replace worn tires for a big race. My guess is that the Racing Ralphs will be just fine. You will need to decide if you are happy with he grip. Everybody has their own opinions but I say make up your own mind.

Interesting to see how many people think that light tires are soft. Guess the above experience goes against that. My point is, if light tires do the trick then why choose heavy tires? If you are going to do that then you may as well get a steel frame and fill it with sand too. Just like carrying 3l plus all sorts of other rubbish in a Camel Back, why? If you can get rid of 300g on your tires do it (and if you can get rid of another 300g with non UST tires do that too). It cost you a lot less to shed weight on your tires than most other bike components but you need to figure what works for you.

The above has put this one to bed then....

Mr Crasher (aka the Blur) - just bought a ralph for the back and a Nobby Nic for the front...will let you have an assessment after the first couple of race/rides....as soon as that bladdy frame arrives...

For those on Monorails up front....you must spend all day saving the front end...and kudo's to you!... B)

MaxUmis

I agree with your choice the Maxxis combo is rock solid, good weight great performance and best value for money.

Now we're talking... and you could buy them from CWC at R350 a piece

I use non-ust ralphs set up as ust on my race wheels. Awesome tyres! I used to use them for training and only had one puncture (it was a bigass nail that would've gone thru a set of downhill tyres as well!) I stopped training on them cause they were wearing down way too quickly on the bit of tar that I do at the beginning and end of my rides.

Well I been running the WTB Weirwolf UST's on XT rims with stans since June last year in that time I have never stopped to fix a puncture or anything tyre related whilst racing.

Used one plug on a training ride when I landed the rear on a broken bottle.(only time I have seen a stans fountain :) )

They are really strong!

Looks to me like you just answered your own question :)

I had racinng ralph on my GT before it got taken from me by cruel fate... Good set of tyres coming of larsen tt's. Now I replaced my Huthsenson python with Rocket rons and still have to come to a conclusion. Rolling a bit rough and not ust.