The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

21 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Lap 4 was hy uit!!!

Klink soos daai eerste water punt by Trans Augrabies .... trek weg aangetrek soos n eskimo, en by daai eerste stop word sakke vol klere agter op die bakkie gesit.

ANDER klimaat daai !!  Ek mis dit ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys. New bike day is around the corner for my son. Currently looking at the Trek Precaliber, the SCOTT Scale 24 disc and SCOTT Roxter 24.
They are pretty much specced the same but the Scale has a better crappy fork and the Roxter is specced the same as the scale but is Rigid.
I think getting him the Roxter would be best and then later buying a proper 50mm fork or something.

1 hour ago, Pieter1 said:

Hey guys. New bike day is around the corner for my son. Currently looking at the Trek Precaliber, the SCOTT Scale 24 disc and SCOTT Roxter 24.
They are pretty much specced the same but the Scale has a better crappy fork and the Roxter is specced the same as the scale but is Rigid.
I think getting him the Roxter would be best and then later buying a proper 50mm fork or something.

Pieter I took videos of Maritz riding up a curb stone, with a rigid and a crappy fork.

I was pleasantly surprised to see just how much the crappy fork actually did.  Much more than an static test eluded to.

Further tests showed just how crucial tyre pressure is .... ride behind him on currugations.  Gradually lower the pressure until the bike stops "hopping".  Lets just say I was shocked at how low we took the pressure, and the improvement in handling.

Looking back, I wonder if a slightly larger volume tyre at low pressure would be better than a crappy fork.  The bike certainly will be lighter ....

20 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Pieter I took videos of Maritz riding up a curb stone, with a rigid and a crappy fork.

I was pleasantly surprised to see just how much the crappy fork actually did.  Much more than an static test eluded to.

Further tests showed just how crucial tyre pressure is .... ride behind him on currugations.  Gradually lower the pressure until the bike stops "hopping".  Lets just say I was shocked at how low we took the pressure, and the improvement in handling.

Looking back, I wonder if a slightly larger volume tyre at low pressure would be better than a crappy fork.  The bike certainly will be lighter ....

Hey Chris. This is interesting. I read reviews about the Sunto fork on the Scale and nobody has anything good to say. 
The Roxter has high volume tires so I am also thinking that they could dampen enough of the chatter? We mainly ride at the skatepark and the trails we ride would be fine on a Rigid fork also.  
I just want the ride to be most comfortable and problem free. And also I don’t want maintenance issues etc cause he rides daily and would be pretty bleak if his bike is gone for a few days. 

7 hours ago, Pieter1 said:

@Pieter1 are you looking at the Scott Scale Pro 400? It is a special order for SA and therefor was canned, but I was concerned about the 63mm suspension. You will probably have more options overseas. My concern was coming from a 80mm Suntour fork.

I went Titan Racing about a month ago, the Hades Team 24. It is a beautiful bike, the red pops and the frame is definitely lighter than the Titan Racing Hades Team 20.

The 20inch has a Suntour 80mm XCM air shock and was quite surprise with the easy of use and how effective the fork worked, specially for a kids weight.

The new 24inch has a Sweep 100mm, looks fantastic but disappointed in the fork. Our son can barely use 30mm of travel, I even struggle to push down in the travel.

Both have beafy tires that was getto converted to tubeless and running low tire pressure.

At the end of the day, I do not think you can get it too wrong. First day my boy complained about the fork, now he just rides and build jumps, drop offs and balance beams.

The Titan Racing is good value for money.

The 20inch live`s on and was passed to my susters boy and it will make a 360 back to my youngest.

Ps. Titan Racing is looking into the shock

1 hour ago, DJuice said:

@Pieter1 are you looking at the Scott Scale Pro 400? It is a special order for SA and therefor was canned, but I was concerned about the 63mm suspension. You will probably have more options overseas. My concern was coming from a 80mm Suntour fork.

I went Titan Racing about a month ago, the Hades Team 24. It is a beautiful bike, the red pops and the frame is definitely lighter than the Titan Racing Hades Team 20.

The 20inch has a Suntour 80mm XCM air shock and was quite surprise with the easy of use and how effective the fork worked, specially for a kids weight.

The new 24inch has a Sweep 100mm, looks fantastic but disappointed in the fork. Our son can barely use 30mm of travel, I even struggle to push down in the travel.

Both have beafy tires that was getto converted to tubeless and running low tire pressure.

At the end of the day, I do not think you can get it too wrong. First day my boy complained about the fork, now he just rides and build jumps, drop offs and balance beams.

The Titan Racing is good value for money.

The 20inch live`s on and was passed to my susters boy and it will make a 360 back to my youngest.

Ps. Titan Racing is looking into the shock

These are the two that are available here. I wish the fork was air but it is coil and from what I have read it is a bit too hard for kids to really benefit from having a fork. 
I have seen those Titans and they really are nice bikes! We don’t have too many options here, either the Scott or the Trek but I’m leaning towards the Roxter.

https://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/product/scott-roxter-24-bike-green?article=286620222

https://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/product/scott-scale-24-disc-bike-silver

18 minutes ago, Pieter1 said:

These are the two that are available here. I wish the fork was air but it is coil and from what I have read it is a bit too hard for kids to really benefit from having a fork. 
I have seen those Titans and they really are nice bikes! We don’t have too many options here, either the Scott or the Trek but I’m leaning towards the Roxter.

https://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/product/scott-roxter-24-bike-green?article=286620222

Take one for the team .... buy the Roxter

If he never had a shock before, he wont know the difference.

The weight difference may just make it a much nicer ride experience, especially once you get the tyre pressure dialled in.

YES, I am still a firm supporter of Titan Racing ..... but I miss my Scott 940 .... you cant go wrong with either brand.

Looking forward to your feedback once he has taken it around the block and down the trails ....

27 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Take one for the team .... buy the Roxter

If he never had a shock before, he wont know the difference.

The weight difference may just make it a much nicer ride experience, especially once you get the tyre pressure dialled in.

YES, I am still a firm supporter of Titan Racing ..... but I miss my Scott 940 .... you cant go wrong with either brand.

Looking forward to your feedback once he has taken it around the block and down the trails ....

He is still riding his Stryder 14” bije but it looks like a clown riding a bike 😂 He has really outgrown it now. He is used to riding rigid so I think the higher volume tire will already add a lot of comfort.
Besides it is his favorite colour.   
A pic of him at the skatepark. 

IMG_4948.jpeg

Get the Roxter! 

Our instruction was also for a green bike!

Our youngest is on a Scott Roxter 16 inch, the attention to detail on the Scott is great!

The nephews on their Titan`s. The nephew is 4, perhaps to small for the 20inch, he takes his had of the handle bar to grip the brake. On his single speed 16inch, he rides where we do, grinding out the hills or getting off and running. He just wants to ride a bike.

IMG_1595.jpg

38 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Get the Roxter! 

Our instruction was also for a green bike!

Our youngest is on a Scott Roxter 16 inch, the attention to detail on the Scott is great!

The nephews on their Titan`s. The nephew is 4, perhaps to small for the 20inch, he takes his had of the handle bar to grip the brake. On his single speed 16inch, he rides where we do, grinding out the hills or getting off and running. He just wants to ride a bike.

IMG_1595.jpg

Awesome!! I’m keen to see how he gets on with gears. I take my boys on the tame trails here and they love it. Can’t wait to see what this bike does for his riding. 
One month from today till his birthday, I can’t wait 😂

20 minutes ago, Pieter1 said:

Awesome!! I’m keen to see how he gets on with gears. I take my boys on the tame trails here and they love it. Can’t wait to see what this bike does for his riding. 

Only new bikes in our home is the children, so I do overdo it a bit.😁

IMG_4229.jpeg.167a58f02f7aa963b078aea3841dcb21.jpeg

7 hours ago, DJuice said:

Only new bikes in our home is the children, so I do overdo it a bit.😁

Any new anything the last few years in our house has been for the kids 😂 Worth it tho. 
A pic of both of the boys heading into the forest. 
These Stryder bikes have been amazing. My youngest was adement to pedal his brother’s bike so I put his cranks on his bike and a few tries later he was going on his own. Granted his pedal powered go cart probably also played a role i how quick he got the concept, these bikes teach them to balance so quickly.  

Edited by Pieter1

6 hours ago, Pieter1 said:

My son has a Titan Racing 20' (which he absolutely loves) that has a rigid fork. I purposely looked for a rigid fork. The weight savings far outweigh what the suspension fork does. He previously had a 16' bike with a coil fork and honestly it did next to nothing. Only thing it did do was look the part. Having less weight on the front has really helped his confidence and he is now working towards getting the front wheel off the ground. Tires play a far greater role in the quality of the ride comfort. My son has never complained not having the suspension or that the trail is too "bumpy" for him to ride.

When we were looking for his 20' bike, I looked at the Scott Roxter (being a long time Scott fan) and it is a beautiful bike. Would have happily purchased it, however sadly it was just too far out of budget. I have seen some other children really shredding them on the trails.

Happy riding ahead!

4 hours ago, Pieter1 said:

Having gears really does make quite a difference. My son is still learning to use them and tends to choose a gear at the start of a piece of trail / hill etc, and then leave it there. However it is much easier to find a good gear ratio for that stretch of trail and it has definitely increased his pace and ability to climb.

4 hours ago, AgentFlash said:

My son has a Titan Racing 20' (which he absolutely loves) that has a rigid fork. I purposely looked for a rigid fork. The weight savings far outweigh what the suspension fork does. He previously had a 16' bike with a coil fork and honestly it did next to nothing. Only thing it did do was look the part. Having less weight on the front has really helped his confidence and he is now working towards getting the front wheel off the ground. Tires play a far greater role in the quality of the ride comfort. My son has never complained not having the suspension or that the trail is too "bumpy" for him to ride.

When we were looking for his 20' bike, I looked at the Scott Roxter (being a long time Scott fan) and it is a beautiful bike. Would have happily purchased it, however sadly it was just too far out of budget. I have seen some other children really shredding them on the trails.

Happy riding ahead!

Hey AgentFlash

I was stoked when looking at the specs of the bikes and the fork is being described as set up for kids. I’m glad I read up about it. Because it seems that like you say it is just for aesthetics. 

So our riding with kids journey started on the weekend. We started our 18month old on a Feva seat. boy oh boy what a win, I think we have averaged an hour a day on the bike since then. 
It has absolutely warmed my heart when my daughter comes through to my office with her helmet on and drags me to the bike. Every time we get back to the house after riding round the farm all you hear is "more, more" and as you ride around she just points her little hand out and she says "there" and off we go that way.

Honestly it has been such a special time for me.