Cyclist knocked down on Hendrik Potgieter

twotumble

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove past at 9:30. I tried not to look; it wasn't pretty. Definitely a vehicle driving over the bike (both wheels trashed)

Condolences to family and friends.

We been riding opposite direction about nine o'clock.It's very sad,my son is shocked,this is horrible.Long time ago I encouraged him to the cycling,now I start to think about it.Did I make good?

My condolences to the family.

I use this road to travel regularly and at least twice a week there is an incident on Hendrik Potgieter, my suggestion, stay aaway from this road, it hectic even as a motorist, so many accidents on this road......would the answer not be a cycle park for all types of riding?

I don't think so dids - imagine spending all your riding time at e.g. Kyalami. You would go batty and lose the freedom that cycling stands for, and it couldn't handle the volumes.

I've been cycling on Hendrik Potgieter for 16 years and while it's always been pretty hectic, it's become especially so over the last few years with the road not being developed to cope with the volumes of traffic from the high density living developments, as well as the obvious lack of traffic policing on this road. Problem is there are no other roads heading west - it's all we've got.

Was on the news on Lotus FM - hectic!

The roads here are insanely dangerous - even in a car. People drive like idiots. 95%+ of drivers shouldn't be driving: Re-education camps!

Also cycled past the accident ay about 10am. A terrible sight. Spent the rest of the day questioning my reasons for road riding, the route I use out to the cradle, how it happened, why it happened etc etc etc.

Also spent the day thinking about just how short life is and how much I love my wife and 1 year old daughter.

R.I.P. fellow cyclist and my sincere condolences to his family.

Heard on Radio news the Taxi overtook the group of cyclists and then swerved infront of them and stopped suddenly. The group managed to avoid the Taxi, except for the one chap who slammed into the back of the taxi.

Heard on Radio news the Taxi overtook the group of cyclists and then swerved infront of them and stopped suddenly. The group managed to avoid the Taxi, except for the one chap who slammed into the back of the taxi.

The same thing happened to me on 3rd October 2003.Hit the taxi at 60km/h and had a lot of stiches but i was much luckier than this victim.

Condolencesto the family. If you guys organise a awareness ride I will travel up from EAst London to support. Taxi's are murder weapons and the JMPD are just a useless bunch of KFC eating dick heads. Speed traps are all they can do. The argus was a awareness ride but now it has just become a money making venture.

Drove past the accident scene on the way back from Sasko Harties. It saddens me immensely to see tragedy like this. It makes one realize how incredibly delicate life is and not to take it for granted. I left home this morning to go ride my bike and returned home to my family and loved ones. This poor chap left home and will never return. My sincerest and heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

On a sad note guys, this morning a cyclist was knocked down on Hendrik Potgieter in the dip near the Krugersdorp Highway, drove past at about 9am and it looked like he was killed by the taxi that hit him. I am filled with extreme sadness over this incident even though I did not know the person. My condolences to the family that is now without a loved one RIP fellow cyclist. And to the rest of us out there this weekend please be visible one incident is too much.

:( Hope he lived a full and rich life...

I'm feeling so much Anger and so much sadness...

irrespective as to what I'd like to do that thoughtless piece of sh*t taxi driver ...

it's not him that deserves the attention now!

My condolences to the family.

It's crazy season now, with 94.7 coming up, the cradle was full with bikes this weekend, as well as idiot drivers! (was overtaken twice driving back from Teak, by guys doing, what seemed like, over 120kmh on that Kromdraai road...

Guys be careful!

Don't know if this has been mentioned on here, or if its the same accident, but according to News24 the cyclist didn't see the Taxi stop infront of him. The rest of the bunch moved out but the guy at the back didn't see and connected with the back of the taxi.