Post your mtb SS

_Daemon_

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am intrigued by these bars.

How do they handle ( no pun intended) in the rough stuff?

sketchy :)

in a good way.

Have not tried mine much yet, but in all reviews I have read they said that it  does not so good in DH compared to  normal bars. 

Very cool. But invert them to be proper cool ;)

I rode mine inverted for a while, could not get comfortable, went to a Ritchey 10D flat bar, way better, but a little narrow (640mm if memory serves), changed to flat Carnegie's, and not looked back.

Guest notmyname

I rode mine inverted for a while, could not get comfortable, went to a Ritchey 10D flat bar, way better, but a little narrow (640mm if memory serves), changed to flat Carnegie's, and not looked back.

Please outline the inverted thing.. maybe these beers are mind bucking me..

The Answer 20/20  is not flat, the ends have a 20deg rise or drop compared to the middle clamp section. 

I fitted mine to rise up, but most fit them turned around to drop down. Inverted. 

I hope this makes  sense. (not good at explaining)

Fitted rising up, like I did, can look a bit  "dorky"  . ..  :blush:

Edited by IH8MUD

Guest notmyname

The Answer 20/20 is not flat, the ends have a 20deg rise or drop compared to the middle clamp section.

I fitted mine to rise up, but most fit them turned around to drop down. Inverted.

I hope this makes sense. (not good at explaining)

Fitted rising up, like I did, can look a "dorky" . .. :blush:

Okay. I get it. Drop instead of rise right. Those bars look pretty rad for the right build. Doubt they'd look rad on an xc machine. Edited by Small Fry

Okay. I get it. Drop instead of rise right. Those bars look pretty rad for the right build. Doubt they'd look rad on an xc machine.

'Look rad' - there in lies the problem. It's about what works. Rise or drop, these bars where never intended to look rad. But they work. Well ;)

Personal preference. I've ridden risers and flats. Inverted just feels right for me. I'm telling myself that it's because they're on a 29r running and external headset. Being short, the inverted bars get my body position back down to the correct spot. Similar to running a 20deg invented stem I guess.

Guest notmyname

'Look rad' - there in lies the problem. It's about what works. Rise or drop, these bars where never intended to look rad. But they work. Well ;)

Well, I kinda schmaak the old school klunker vibe they ooze.........

Did about 75km this weekend with the new Answer 20/20 bar on the SS.

1ste ride took a bit getting use to the bar and at first I was not impressed.

It felt odd.

Halfway into the ride I realised that the was more due to the placement of the  bar. 

It was because I used my old stem, but the previous bar had more rise to it.

The result was that I was stretching to much with the combination of the old stem with the Answer 20/20 bar.

So Saturday night I fitted a shorter stem that has more rise with the Answer 20/20. 

Did a nice long ride on Sunday and all was good and all was very comfortable.

Hand position on the bar is now very neutral and I am very happy. 

So although the grips looked to be in about the same place as the old bars visually,

I had to make adjustments  to the stem to have good comfort with the Answer 20/20 bar. 

I'll have to get use to look of the new stem  . . . . the bike looks a bit less aerodynamic. Looks like a Frankenstein. :huh:   But that is just aesthetics. 

(I do have a bit of a back issue so I tend to prefer a more upright riding position)

Edited by IH8MUD