Dropped on climb

Why would someone get dropped at the bottom of a climb, yet outclimb all towards the top?

Insufficient anaerobic capacity? Or are there more reasons?

Thats what you call good climbing - the fastest person at the bottom of the hill is often the slowest at the top. You need to pace youself to ensure that you can ride at your fastest speed possible for the whole climb.

U talking about me ?

only if there is beer at the watering point at the top. I saw your acceleration at Induna when the marshall offered you a beer.

Thats how i feel i climb, always get passed at the bottom, and just stick to my steady pace and eventually i climb past most of them.

Old technique of people going to the front at bottom of climb so that they don't lose too much ground by the top. The better climbers overtake on the climb but at the top the slower climbers have not lost as much distance as they would have if they started the climb at the back. Of course I personally have never tried this....Big%20smile

Ronelle,

I would say that that person needs a bit more 30sec/1min power ,but they have a very good 5min+ power.A very good climber should be able to handle both!!

Hmmm, so more short hard interval training coming my way soonDead 

(I'm certainly not known as a good climberOuch)

Wonder Woman2007-09-18 06:36:11

I have for all intent & purpose stopped "interval" training for a while - I concentrate on what I regard as my weaker areas & work on those - on the road. However I disagree to a point that if one climbs well at the start of a climb then U'll have less at the top - for some yes but U can climb well thro' - out any climb - for me it depends how well U can pace yourself -

I prefer easing into a climb and if I feel really good I'll keep as high a pace as I can muster ....

"DT"

DT, truthfully after my illness I'm focussing purely on base training until next year. Hopefully my immune system will then be strong enough to start training for racingBig%20smile

As Nochain says, one should be able to do both. A short sprint at the bottom and then steady climb and be able to close gaps if needed.

Wonder Woman2007-09-18 07:04:25

R - the rider dropped may have chosen to pace himself better (differently) and simply held a steadier pace, or he may have been unable to respond to the short hard changes of pace yet be aerobically able to claw back (think Ullrich & Armstrong)

...or he may have been unable to respond to the short hard changes of pace 

Which implies that should this be the reason, it is quite trainable?