new CSA fees are stiff!!

martelpypie

:lol: :lol: - Ha,Ha, yeah, but I was asking more in the line of golf because someone made a comparison with CSA / CYCLING - but the fact is in golf you pay for what you get, in other words I can see a benefit to me for every dime I spend on golf, unfortunately I cant say the same about CSA.

How much more do you need to spend before youre any good, or do you just spend a lifetime never quite getting there?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone pays road tax (car licence). What do you get back? Hit a pothole and see if you can get the damage refunded.

:lol: :lol: - Ha,Ha, yeah, but I was asking more in the line of golf because someone made a comparison with CSA / CYCLING - but the fact is in golf you pay for what you get, in other words I can see a benefit to me for every dime I spend on golf, unfortunately I cant say the same about CSA.

Then don't take out a licence and don't do the races. Easy.

Go ride your MTB, but don't forget to pay your permit fees each time you use private trails etc. Oh yes and don't expect to race either.

But as you said if you don't see the value do something else. As long as ppl pay they will assume that you see value. Until such time as too few ppl pay, the SQ will continue.

How much more do you need to spend before youre any good, or do you just spend a lifetime never quite getting there?

In Golf you mean.?

I am not quite sure I understand the question, but you dont need to spend anything extra to get better or good, sure there are green and caddy fees but everyone pays that irrespective if you are a pro or a rank amateur, like me you may take a few lessons from the local Pro when you start or if you have a problem, but then its just go out and practise, - like Gary Player is fond of saying "The more I practise the luckier I get" - so Yeah, you dont pay for things you dont see.

Everyone pays road tax (car licence). What do you get back? Hit a pothole and see if you can get the damage refunded.

Oh please Chris, you know better than that, you get a road for heavens sake, I can drive to work, on vacation, to the corner cafe.....the maintenance thereof is also paid for, sure its lacking in areas but thats a moot point, and yeah you can claim for pothole damage and yeah you do get renumerated in certain instances, but, I agree its a hassle and a lot depends on the muncipality, but I still see value in road tax.

The municipality said they knew it was there and that I shouldn't have driven into it

:D - Yeah, fair enough, its not easy.

....but, just as a matter of legality they are in the wrong, the only time they can refuse to renumerate you is if THEY WERE NOT AWARE of the pot hole, in other words it had not yet been reported.

If they are aware of it, and have not bothered to fix it or mark the spot as dangerous, or taken noticable action to prevent accidental damage, they have a legal obligation to renumerate you for legitimate costs.

......Now, yeah I know its fighting a losing battle trying to get a cost decision, and because its not worth going the legal route to force the matter, most of us will eventually just give up and go away, but that do's not mean we dont have a right to renumeration, it just means they will make it very,very, difficult to claim it.

Frustrating I know.

:D - Yeah, fair enough, its not easy.

....but, just as a matter of legality they are in the wrong, the only time they can refuse to renumerate you is if THEY WERE NOT AWARE of the pot hole, in other words it had not yet been reported.

If they are aware of it, and have not bothered to fix it or mark the spot as dangerous, or taken noticable action to prevent accidental damage, they have a legal obligation to renumerate you for legitimate costs.

......Now, yeah I know its fighting a losing battle trying to get a cost decision, and because its not worth going the legal route to force the matter, most of us will eventually just give up and go away, but that do's not mean we dont have a right to renumeration, it just means they will make it very,very, difficult to claim it.

Frustrating I know.

I am still putting pressure on them.

This is from their email. Legally they are in the wrong because they have admitted that they knew about the pothole.

they were aware of the pothole but could not carry out repairs immediately

Yeah, correct, as it seems they were aware of it, but could not repair it immediately they should have put up a hazard warning or some demarcation to alert motorists of the hazard.

It happened to me in Sabie last year March when I hit a pothole and damaged two mags, I put in a claim which they of course rejected, finally, after a lot of back and forth I eventually got a reply that they would consider the claim, and so far thats all I have got :huh: but, I'll see, I dont have a helluva lot of hope, but stranger things have happened. :D

Take for sample the 7 Weeks Poort MTB race. Why must i pay a R35 day license.CSA did not organise the race, one of the best organised races BTW. I paid my entry fee and that was it, i did not and will not pay the extra day license.

Then don't take out a licence and don't do the races. Easy.

Go ride your MTB, but don't forget to pay your permit fees each time you use private trails etc. Oh yes and don't expect to race either.

But as you said if you don't see the value do something else. As long as ppl pay they will assume that you see value. Until such time as too few ppl pay, the SQ will continue.

People pay because they simply have to pay there is no choice in the matter. Especially if you have kids that love the idea of competing.

And there have been some really dumb comparison's or attempted comparison's made on this post. If you want to compare it to put it in perspective compare it to DSTV vs SABC. I pay my R523 for DSTV every single month with a smile on my face. I bitch and complain every single year when the R238 rand SABC licence fee comes around.

Why? because I get absolutly no value out of the SABC so why should i be forced to pay them? exactly the same applies to CSA they are the SABC of cycling.

Also not to sure why I am bitching so much, I am 32 i will never be a racing contender on a professional level and I will never aspire to be. Races are cool becuase of the social aspect and all the moving obsticales and thats about it. I much prefer being a weekend warrior playing in the mud with my friends at my own pace.

Yeah Covie quite right.

I wasnt going to comment because yesterday I didnt feel like been confrontational, but I had a good sleep and I am ready to fight.! :)

The SABC / DSTV is a good comparison and I feel pretty much the same, and I think a lot of folk just pay the CSA because they dont know differant, their clubs tell them its obligatory or they cant enter races so they go ahead and blindly pay.

As for me I am 53 and dont race anymore, I enjoy riding the 94.7 the Argus and the 'Shova but I wont be bullied, I dont have to do the rides and if they dont want me, well so be it - however they lose my entry fee, the CSA loses my license fee, and the club loses me as a member - Strange, but I didnt think this was the aim of the CSA.!

We can't just complain about CSA licence and we need to put more money to get our riders to the World Champs..

I hate when you get selected to ride for SA and you must still pay for flight or etc.... You deserve to go free

because you worked hard to get there....

We can't just complain about CSA licence and we need to put more money to get our riders to the World Champs..

I hate when you get selected to ride for SA and you must still pay for flight or etc.... You deserve to go free

because you worked hard to get there....

Exactly our point dude, thousands if not hundres of thousands of cyclists pay their CSA fee, and then CSA doesnt send anybody overseas except the ountries top 3 riders. No develeopment, no junior etc etc. What happend to the rest of the millions paid in fee's to these vultures.

I am sorry they are a public entitiy and therefore should make all their income and expenditure public knowledge. So that we can see what happens to the money.

Edited by covie

Membership for recreational cyclists is R75/year - nothing more

UNLESS you want to race in the four Licensed categories at SA's or provincial championships, in which case you pay an additional R350.

Road Accident fund!