Magicshine Lights

schmoose

We've been in contact with Geomangear and the Magicshine manufacturers regarding this issue.

At this stage its not a factory recall. Geomangear have decided to initiate their own actions, citing quality concerns as the reason.

Magiclight will continue to honour warranty claims for lights and batteries distributed by us. If you have a defective battery please stop using it immediately and contact the retailer where you bought it to arrange a replacement.

Please take note of the following guidelines which pertain to all Lithium-Ion batteries.

Keep battery away from extreme heat

Do not reverse polarity

Do not short circuit

Do not allow plug socket to get wet

If your battery is physically damaged (i.e. has been dropped or got wet) stop using it immediately

Avoid repeatedly discharging to below 20% capacity. Lithium Ion batteries prefer to be topped up more frequently instead of being run flat.

Charging Instructions:

Only recharge using the prescribed Li-ion charger

When charging place the battery in a fireproof container / location

Do not charge near wood, textiles or other combustible materials

Do not charge unattended. When charging Li-ion batteries you should always

remain in proximity to observe and respond quickly should something go wrong

Disconnect the battery as soon as charging is complete

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been in contact with Geomangear and the Magicshine manufacturers regarding this issue.

At this stage its not a factory recall. Geomangear have decided to initiate their own actions, citing quality concerns as the reason.

Magiclight will continue to honour warranty claims for lights and batteries distributed by us. If you have a defective battery please stop using it immediately and contact the retailer where you bought it to arrange a replacement.

Please take note of the following guidelines which pertain to all Lithium-Ion batteries.

Keep battery away from extreme heat

Do not reverse polarity

Do not short circuit

Do not allow plug socket to get wet

If your battery is physically damaged (i.e. has been dropped or got wet) stop using it immediately

Avoid repeatedly discharging to below 20% capacity. Lithium Ion batteries prefer to be topped up more frequently instead of being run flat.

Charging Instructions:

Thanks Brad - So I am guessing the US got a bad batch of batteries then?! :blink: :lol:

The Geomangear statement makes reference to "safety, quality and performance" of the battery, safety commissions etc and advises people to not use the batteries.

I would assume therefore that safety is their main concern?

So what's happening to these things? A battery not lasting as long as you expected or no longer taking a charge is annoying and no good, but hardly a safety issue...

Charging Instructions:

So I guess the issues were while charging then?

Its says "Geomangear" recalled it because it didnt meet "their" quality.

they are probably a company marketing top end stuff.

Its says "Geomangear" recalled it because it didnt meet "their" quality.

they are probably a company marketing top end stuff.

They've been selling them for over a year... nothing to do with top end stuff... too many units broke and they decided to pull out... simple as that...

The response I have received is that Geomangear has not provided any evidence of any issues to the manufacturer at this stage and the manufacturer has confirmed that the batteries are still completely safe to use. Based on the lack of evidence to the contrary, I have to say there is no reason to doubt this opinion. If any evidence is found which shows this to be wrong, I will post it here for all to see.

As I mentioned previously, there are hundreds (probably thousands) of happy Magicshine users in SA and I have yet to hear of any major problems with them.

Its made in China, they use the cheapiest parts and labour. You realy dont think they gonna admit to it being unsafe and low quality. There are most likely thousands out there, just a pitty not all are on the Hub to tell there story.

I've had no problems with mine, it works like a bomb.

If the battery starts acting funny I'll just get a Power Balance band for it to balance it's energy and all will be ok :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Its made in China, they use the cheapiest parts and labour. You realy dont think they gonna admit to it being unsafe and low quality. There are most likely thousands out there, just a pitty not all are on the Hub to tell there story.

Its??? Cheapiest??? realy??? pitty??? there???

I thinck their are betta things out thier for yoo to b doing than siting onn th hubb!

90% of the things you use every day of your life come from China so that's a very weak argument (or do you only use 'handmade in Italy' products which cost 3 times as much and are probably 90% produced in China and assembled in Italy!).

I can guarantee there are enough hubbers using them to give a pretty solid representative sample!

I presume there is a difference between Magic Light and Magic Shine Light.

I got a Magic light, it was f*cking expensive. Other guys that ride night rides with me have a similar light and brag that it cost much less than my light. I presume this is then magicshine lights.

Please give some clarity as I have noticed that hubbers know everything from heart surgery to lights to cable end caps on a pick n pay special mtb

I presume there is a difference between Magic Light and Magic Shine Light.

I got a Magic light, it was f*cking expensive. Other guys that ride night rides with me have a similar light and brag that it cost much less than my light. I presume this is then magicshine lights.

Please give some clarity as I have noticed that hubbers know everything from heart surgery to lights to cable end caps on a pick n pay special mtb

They are all the same, some people will try to make you belive otherwise.You buy it from China and put your own label on it. You do get quality stuff from China and then you get, well, you figure it out.

Its??? Cheapiest??? realy??? pitty??? there???

I thinck their are betta things out thier for yoo to b doing than siting onn th hubb!

90% of the things you use every day of your life come from China so that's a very weak argument (or do you only use 'handmade in Italy' products which cost 3 times as much and are probably 90% produced in China and assembled in Italy!).

I can guarantee there are enough hubbers using them to give a pretty solid representative sample!

And 90% of the 90% that comes from China break 90% of the time.. So I fail to see your point.