Donating blood=lost strength

Fujioso

I donated blood yesterday morning at about 09h00. At properly before hand and definitely afterwards. :D

Went out for a ride this morning and it felt as if I have lost all my strength. Even the flats were a big ask at my normal pace at which I ride. I am not even talking about the hills.

I was really flat and my heart rate went through the roof!

I would like to know if the blood donation had anything to do with my state or is it just a general flatness.

Before today's ride I took two days off the bike after a tough week-end. 75km on Sat and 105km on Sun, both at an ave speed of 32 km/h including some proper hills.

Could it be that dreaded bonk after a rest day?

What are some of the experiences of blood donors on the Hub?

And, how long will it take before I am right as rain again. Racing 100km on Sunday!!!!

It takes your body time to recover, i learnt this at last years 175km kremertart where i dontaed blood a few days before tackling the race, NEVER AGAIN !!!

if you donated the usual pint, your body only takes 24 hours usually to replace the lost blood, so you should be fine now, your morning ride prod strained your body though as it wasnt yet up to its full blood stock again.. good luck for sunday :thumbup:

What happens when you have a workforce of 20 and then 4 call in sick?

Blood cells transport Oxygen - you now have less blood cells to do the work.

Wait 2 days and you will be back to normal.

Boet, you replace the volume in less than 24hrs, but the red cells take a lot longer. A couple of weeks, in fact, not days.

You have effectively "anti-doped" - probably dropped your haematocrit by ~10%, and with it your threshold & your vO2.

That's why you felt weak.

Edited by montyzuma

My experience is that I feel pap for two days. I usually don't train the dy afterwards since it makes me feel like a rugby player on a bike - very slow, and this does bad things for my psyche.

Give yourself a break, drink plenty of beer and train on the second day after donation and even then, look at the scenery rather than the heart rate monitor.

I've heard many excuses why sportspeople don't donate blood. They're all bogus. What's a day or two off each 90 days?

if you donated the usual pint, your body only takes 24 hours usually to replace the lost blood, so you should be fine now, your morning ride prod strained your body though as it wasnt yet up to its full blood stock again.. good luck for sunday :thumbup:

Not correct. It takes around 24hours to replace the blood volume, but it takes a few weeks to replace the red blood cells. The red cells carry oxygen and are what are important for cycling fitness.

You should be OK to do the race on Sunday, but you will not be able to do it at the same intensity as before you donated.

Edited by Edam

Luckily I can't donate blood - blood pressure too low.

You just have to weight the option of saving someone's life versus missing a day's training

also remember that a pint donation is going to affect a <60kg rider far more than a >90kg rider.

I've reduced donations to twice a year and make sure it's more than 2 weeks before races.

It is encouraging to see so many cyclists donating blood.

WPBTS have an interesting policy regarding athletes.I have been donating for around 10 years. Around two years ago the sister on duty asked what sporting event i was training for. I replied that i don't train for anything specific but rather participate in regular running and cycling training programs. She refused to take my blood unless i signed an indemnity form.

I am certain that many cyclists out there who donate would be prohibited from doing so if the Blood transfusion services really knew what you were doing with regards to training.

Regardless of the protests i still regularly donate.

As regards the topic, Edam is right (pretty much-i not doctor) this was confirmed to me a while ago while investigating the issue

I feel completely flat for a week on the bike and only start coming right after 2 weeks.

I definitely don't do it before races.

I realise holiday season is coming and there are no more races, so its time to donate again.

i always have the same feeling the day after donating...i think the reason is that all the nutrients and blood hasnt fully been replaces, and as your body tries to replenish it it uses alot of energy....

so high heartrate - less blood, needs to pump faster .

you should be fine in a day or two, just drink ALOT of water, take some general vitamins and nutritional pills etc

:clap:

When i donated i asked the nurse and she told me its takes 24 hours for the blood to be replaced, she did not tell me about the racial make up (red/white) of my blood cells and that the red ones are a bit lazy and need more time.